Advice in "gassing out" in BJJ class.

+1 to everything Code Monkey said.

It takes focus to learn to relax and THINK while someone has their knee in your gut, but that is exactly what you need to do.

You will definitely get respect for staying active 100% of each roll, but it has to be SMART active. If you're under someone's side control and you are trying to shove them straight up off you with arm strength, that's not smart and you will be heading back to the trash can pretty quickly if you try to keep that up for two hours.

Instead, learn the technique to escape side control properly, then execute that. Learning technique, trying (and failing) to execute it, refining what doesn't work...that's how you improve. Killing yourself trying to do something that will never work just makes you tired.

To get a handle on this, pay attention next time you roll with a purple or above. You'll likely find that they're always moving, always doing something...but they are probably controlling you totally without even breaking a sweat. That's because their technique is so solid that they need very little conditioning to dominate beginners. That's where you want to get to: a fluid, linked series of techniques.

most people who come from a wrestling background will gass out early in BJJ because of the agressive strength based style, you have to learn to relax in BJJ, it will take time, but once you can relax, you will last much longer. I can roll for an hour and still have energy to go, it comes down to knowing when you can relax, basically you should be using 0 strength and then when you execute a sweep or something you use explosiveness and then back down to 0 again, instead of putting like 100% in for the full 5/6 minutes., hope that makes sense.

I totally aggree, it depends on how you spar. Im guessing that with the wrestling background you spar explossively and very aggressively. You should remember that you can spar aggressively without spazzing out.

You can controll your opponent and their movements with minimal energy if you are using technique rather than going mental to try and kill your sparring partner.

Worry more about technique and the philosophy of jiu jitsu, then concentrate on your conditioning. I would make increasing your flexibility as a higher prority than getting better cardio or getting physically stronger.

These two quotes have helped me understand a lot due to my wrestling background that I had not realized up until I read them. It makes sense and it probably should've been common sense to me heading into this, but old habits just took over. Thanks for the insight in realtion to my wrestling mentality. I have really good flexibility so that will be an advantage once I learn how to use this perk properly. Thanks again!!!

Thanks to all of you, you all have been very informative. I have a great deal of respect for all that has went out of their way to give me some very good advice, a lot of those things I didn't realize. So thank you! I am glad I have chose to register on this site, great group of people.

I did have a big meal before I trained for my first BJJ class, and I didn't even think about it till after I had read all of these replies. Using technique instead of aggressive explosiveness is something that I have to break from my mentality because of my wrestling background. That was one of the first rules in wrestling, secure the take-down and get your points.

With any sport I figure in time my body will evolve itself around the workout aspect of it, and I will indeed eventually get back into shape. I do smoke and this sport gives me that much more incintive to quit, now I just got to do it. This would probably help me gain some weight as well, I can probably put on 10-20lbs with the frame that I have (6'0 150lbs). It is just hard to gain weight for me.

I am just so grateful that I have been introduced to this sport of MMA/BJJ. I feel it is a true blessing to have the oppurtunity to participate in something that is some what similar to wrestling. I have missed being physically active since HS, and I am so very grateful to have a chance at doing something that I have a passion for. BJJ and Cage fighting!!

Someone asked what school I was attending. My first class was at a local school with about 3 other guys, very small. Webster's Mixed Martial Arts in Muncie, IN. I am also planning on attending a BJJ acedemy founded by Saulo Ribeiro in the Triangle Club at Lima, OH. I figure these two schools will excell my learning curve enough to the point where I can eventually try to make my way over to Team Jorge Gurgel's Academy in West Chester, OH. I would love to go there now but it is way to expensive in gas, and I want to atleast know the basics before I start to train with high caliber guys at this academy. So that is my plan that I have set for myself, hopefully I can fulfill it.

So I will relax more, learn technique, go hard but in a smart manner, and use some patience as everything will come in time. No big meals before training would probably benefit me too. haha

Again, thanks for the advice and making me feel really good about joining this community. You guys are all great!! Any more advice is always welcome, but if not, I hope to share many a more conversations with a lot of you via-internet.

Have a great week everyone!!
Zach Dean

As stated, ditch the cancer sticks and keep rolling. Lots of rolling will increase your cardio pretty quickly.

I supplement with swimming 5X a week and that helps immensely when preparing for tournies...

You will quit either BJJ or smoking within 6 weeks. Guaranteed. Which one is up to you. I quit smoking.

You will quit either BJJ or smoking within 6 weeks. Guaranteed. Which one is up to you. I quit smoking.

I don't doubt that a bit bro, and I will definitely take up BJJ over smoking. I can garuntee myself that with ease, my passion runs to hardcore with this sport to allow my "suicide by tobacco" to continue in my life. No question.

just have to keep going and get in better shape. you can't go hardcore bjj in mediocre or decent shape - you have to be in good shape to keep up, or you puke or just get too tired to put up a decent game

when i first started i was in horrendous shape, probably about 60 pounds overweight. took me about 2-3 weeks before i stopped having the puking sensations, and another month or so before i could go all class at a decent pace.

for some people it is too embarrassing. for me, i find it motivating. just means im working my body past its limit, and there is something awesome about that

just have to keep going and get in better shape. you can't go hardcore bjj in mediocre or decent shape - you have to be in good shape to keep up, or you puke or just get too tired to put up a decent game

when i first started i was in horrendous shape, probably about 60 pounds overweight. took me about 2-3 weeks before i stopped having the puking sensations, and another month or so before i could go all class at a decent pace.

for some people it is too embarrassing. for me, i find it motivating. just means im working my body past its limit, and there is something awesome about that

That is exactly how I feel on the matter. Almost anyway. It is very motivating to work my body to the max because I know I am going to benefit greatly from this start in BJJ. The only thing I get embarrassed about is if I feel that I am holding up class or slowing down someone else because of my behalf. I just don't want to hold anyone up on their learning experience because of me. Which was intitially one of my main concerns on the matter, but I think I will be ok after the first couple times and understanding will likely be shown in my direction. It motivates me to no end though as well, which is an amazing feeling.

give us an update in a month to let us know how it goes

I will for sure man, thank you very much. I can pretty much already tell I will still be at it, but hopefully my game and cardio will be well on its way by then. Thanks for your kindness!!

i just began training and quit smoking.

The many positives that come from BJJ far outweigh the discomfort and pain experienced in the beginning.

I know how it feels, being 5'10 and 250lbs, to gas out and have a tough time in all aspects of class, warm up, rolling, etc etc.

But just decide you wont quit and all will fall into place.

Breathe, if you can breathe properly and maintain your composure you won't gas out.

Shit, I've been doing BJJ for a few years now, and I still gas in almost every class. It does get easier to deal with over time, but it's part of the sport.

There Will Be Gassage.

Some guys in my class roll a really fast pace (not spaz, just intense), and if I want to keep up and not get my guard passed, I have to match them, which is very tiring. I'm not the most athletic person, and I've had a few injuries which prevent me from doing a lot of running to improve my conditioning, so I gas faster than most of the guys in my class.

We usually get in four 5 minute rolls per class (sometimes more, sometimes less), and by the 4th roll, I'm usually gassed the fuck out. By this time I'm usually just holding on and just trying to survive. It does do good for my skills at escaping subs and positions though, because at that time I have no strength and explosiveness left in my tank to get out of positions/subs, so I have to work pure technique.

Cardio and conditioning is probably my biggest weakness in BJJ. I often get put in bad positions by guys who have less technique, but greater strength and conditioning. It sucks, but I just have to keep working at it.

Weird, I always assumed wrestlers had phenomenal conditioning. I personally find grappling much less puke-inducing then muay thai. I did it for a while, and couldn't handle the fitness to tell you the truth lol.

Weird, I always assumed wrestlers had phenomenal conditioning. I personally find grappling much less puke-inducing then muay thai. I did it for a while, and couldn't handle the fitness to tell you the truth lol.

Wrestlers do have good conditioning, but I have been out of that game for about 4 years. Sadly, but I have found something even better. Even when I was in shape and wrestling, wrestling practice still doesn't hold a candle to BJJ training. No joke. lol

It is seriously one of the hardest things I have ever been through. Well worth it though.

bjj conditioning is nothing compared to wrestling

I think the striking vs grappling thing doesn't exactly work. I think they're different kinds of fitness. Dean Lister says this in his DVD. He's in great shape but gets winded after about a minute of striking.

As far as the wrestling thing, I think most wrestlers are in better shape. I think that this is just because of the nature of it. Not everyone at BJJ class is there to compete. A lot of people are just there for some exercise, self defense, etc.

^ anyone who thinks otherwise never wrestled in hs/college.

but it's different, a BJJ'er would get owned by a wrestler in wrestling, but in BJJ the wrestler tends to always gas... i don't know what it is, but BJJ just tends to be more laid back and can relax when rolling, i find when rolling with the wrestler type (inexperienced in BJJ) you just have to hold on and weather the storm and then have your way with them.

but it's different, a BJJ'er would get owned by a wrestler in wrestling, but in BJJ the wrestler tends to always gas... i don't know what it is, but BJJ just tends to be more laid back and can relax when rolling, i find when rolling with the wrestler type (inexperienced in BJJ) you just have to hold on and weather the storm and then have your way with them.

I think those guys are referring to US college/high school wrestlers who generally have much better cardio/conditioning than BJJ practitioners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back