• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Adesenya was never really good...

I think Whittaker and Cost would disagree and take offense to this foolishness

Also Kelvin, since they went to war in one of the absolute hands down best fights of all time trying to kill eachother

Meh, I thought he lost to Romero and the 2nd fight with Whittaker. I thought he won 3-2 over Cannonier.

He is pretty overrated
I thought for a guy that’s supposedly this striking god that goes by name of stylebender he was really getting lit up by Kelvin Gastulem as well.

It's okay. Anderson was never good when he got submitted by Japanese CM Punks and this. Nobody is ever good enough for us on Sherdog
377522493_2550282248479351_6666966946641162244_n.jpg

He's good. But not on Anderson's level. He has the benefit of reigning over a weak division with very favorable match ups.

If you really think about it. How does someone lose in their chosen specialty (striking) against a guy who got knocked out in round 1 (against Alex Pereira) with his hands down.

Either Adesenya got a lot worse or Sean Strickland improved a lot in the past year.

Looking at Adesenya's style, he is what I call a "point fighter".
Yes, he is capable of knocking out anyone, just like most UFC fighters.
We witnessed that when he brutally KO'd Alex Pereira with his counter right hook.

But if you look at his fights, he doesn't really go for the kill. Like you would expect a pissed off drunk high T bar dude or hungry lion would. He just stands and trades like a pacifist, trying to one-up his opponents and win on points.

No killer instinct like a Francis Ngannou or Jiri Prochazka or Islam Makhachev.
These guys instill fear in their opponents and the audience feels that tension (you know what I'm talking about) while being captivated from start to finish.

Adesenya is an expert at distance management, counter striking, and kicks.

But where is the wrestling?
The offensive jiu jitsu?
The muay thai knees and elbows in the clinch?

Because these missing weapons aren't an immediate threat in the match, we get a highly-skilled (albeit one-dimensional) fighter who focuses more on range and pacifism rather than just going after the kill and ending it.

Most of his fights go all 5 rounds because Izzy is too risk-averse to fight like a killer.
He knows he is the best technical fighter so he will do enough to just win on points.
It's probably the safest and most guaranteed way of winning (hey, a win is a win whether you finish or decision, right?) so I don't blame him but...

that is also the main thing holding Izzy back from reaching that next level.
And yes, even world champions can keep on improving and breaking their own plateaus.

Just my 2 cents sherbros..
Nor was he ever my friend, personally.

Unironically is, lost to romero lost to whittaker 2 lost to pereira lost to Strickland, greatest middleweight of all time guys! Give me a break

Expanding on this, what insanely impressive names did he beat? Whittaker returning from life threatening injuries? Vettori? Cannonier? Pereira who was on his way to finishing adesanya but got stupid? Gastelum? Definitely not costa, who got gifted a decision in his fight against yoel

Is my analysis wrong though? He is a great fighter but he fights like a risk-averse pacifist
Obvious trolling. He's a great fighter but never really good.... Stick to your original troll job.

Obvious trolling. He's a great fighter but never really good.... Stick to your original troll job.

great fighter compared to your average person / mma fighter.
never really good compared to other ufc champions past / present and hype levels.

Bl Bl abla I'm a noob who has never trained - TS

The predictable "never was that good anyway" thread that happens after a high level guy loses. Gotta build them up, then tear them down. I guess he just fougt a bunch of buns too, got lucky 10-12 times really. Never was any good at kickboxing either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back