• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Adesenya was never really good...

jackleeb

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
If you really think about it. How does someone lose in their chosen specialty (striking) against a guy who got knocked out in round 1 (against Alex Pereira) with his hands down.

Either Adesenya got a lot worse or Sean Strickland improved a lot in the past year.

Looking at Adesenya's style, he is what I call a "point fighter".
Yes, he is capable of knocking out anyone, just like most UFC fighters.
We witnessed that when he brutally KO'd Alex Pereira with his counter right hook.

But if you look at his fights, he doesn't really go for the kill. Like you would expect a pissed off drunk high T bar dude or hungry lion would. He just stands and trades like a pacifist, trying to one-up his opponents and win on points.

No killer instinct like a Francis Ngannou or Jiri Prochazka or Islam Makhachev.
These guys instill fear in their opponents and the audience feels that tension (you know what I'm talking about) while being captivated from start to finish.

Adesenya is an expert at distance management, counter striking, and kicks.

But where is the wrestling?
The offensive jiu jitsu?
The muay thai knees and elbows in the clinch?

Because these missing weapons aren't an immediate threat in the match, we get a highly-skilled (albeit one-dimensional) fighter who focuses more on range and pacifism rather than just going after the kill and ending it.

Most of his fights go all 5 rounds because Izzy is too risk-averse to fight like a killer.
He knows he is the best technical fighter so he will do enough to just win on points.
It's probably the safest and most guaranteed way of winning (hey, a win is a win whether you finish or decision, right?) so I don't blame him but...

that is also the main thing holding Izzy back from reaching that next level.
And yes, even world champions can keep on improving and breaking their own plateaus.

Just my 2 cents sherbros..

Styles make fights go to a gym and train for a while and this will become obvious in no time. Eventually you'll be able to read fights like this and everything will become obvious in hindsight as it should.

Styles make fights go to a gym and train for a while and this will become obvious in no time. Eventually you'll be able to read fights like this and everything will become obvious in hindsight as it should.

I do train at a gym (as a fitness and hobby though). At AKA actually in San Jose

These “wasn’t ever that good“ threads are always hilarious and ridiculous to read. If you honestly think Izzy isn’t a good fighter, you’re a retard and a dickhead. Or possibly even a dicktard.

Izzy is a phenomenal fighter. The title was kind of bait-y. What I mean is that his style has serious flaws and Strickland exposed it

If you really think about it. How does someone lose in their chosen specialty (striking) against a guy who got knocked out in round 1 (against Alex Pereira) with his hands down.

Either Adesenya got a lot worse or Sean Strickland improved a lot in the past year.

Looking at Adesenya's style, he is what I call a "point fighter".
Yes, he is capable of knocking out anyone, just like most UFC fighters.
We witnessed that when he brutally KO'd Alex Pereira with his counter right hook.

But if you look at his fights, he doesn't really go for the kill. Like you would expect a pissed off drunk high T bar dude or hungry lion would. He just stands and trades like a pacifist, trying to one-up his opponents and win on points.

No killer instinct like a Francis Ngannou or Jiri Prochazka or Islam Makhachev.
These guys instill fear in their opponents and the audience feels that tension (you know what I'm talking about) while being captivated from start to finish.

Adesenya is an expert at distance management, counter striking, and kicks.

But where is the wrestling?
The offensive jiu jitsu?
The muay thai knees and elbows in the clinch?

Because these missing weapons aren't an immediate threat in the match, we get a highly-skilled (albeit one-dimensional) fighter who focuses more on range and pacifism rather than just going after the kill and ending it.

Most of his fights go all 5 rounds because Izzy is too risk-averse to fight like a killer.
He knows he is the best technical fighter so he will do enough to just win on points.
It's probably the safest and most guaranteed way of winning (hey, a win is a win whether you finish or decision, right?) so I don't blame him but...

that is also the main thing holding Izzy back from reaching that next level.
And yes, even world champions can keep on improving and breaking their own plateaus.

Just my 2 cents sherbros..
Anyone can get KO'ed, even fighters that are better than their opponents. That's fucking stupid to judge a fighter off a quick ko. Better fighters have lost like that many many times, it doesn't mean shit.

Anyone who makes a "they was never any good" thread should be banned immediately.

Last edited:
And yet just several days ago, OP and most others thought he was going to light Strickland up something fierce.

Half will deny it today.

Back