Adesanyas counter-striking is overated

Maori

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Had plenty of opportunities to slip n rip against Vettori, yet chose to constantly back peddle then reset. Im almost certain its a boxing deficiency.
Hate to compare, but I couldnt help but think prime Anderson ends Martin flawlessly.

The clip was a feature of the fight for me throughout, thoughts?

Edit: I think theres a lot of improvement he can make in his boxing, Im not sure he can achieve that at City Kickboxing.

Last edited:
He is a dominant champ who has basically cleaned his division. I find it very hard to call him overrated.
I think the overrated part is most hardcore fans expecting him to run through Blachowichz and Vettori. He's good. Not as untouchable like his aura is spreading out.

I fully expect Adesanya/Whittaker 2 to be a close chess match.

Izzy is no prime Anderson, that’s for sure

Actually as a counter fighter I think he's better than Anderson who generally needed people like Forrest to get VERY sloppy to counter impressively.

The difference I think is that unlike a prime Anderson he doesnt have the ability to pressure opponents or as many ways to finish, he's much more dependent on his counter fighting.

Actually as a counter fighter I think he's better than Anderson who generally needed people like Forrest to get VERY sloppy to counter impressively.

The difference I think is that unlike a prime Anderson he doesnt have the ability to pressure opponents or as many ways to finish, he's much more dependent on his counter fighting.
Yes.

And I’ll add, he’s more defensive than A Silva (not that we should always need to compare them, but hey, TS brought it up). He prefers to win wars by taking less damage first, giving more damage second. Silva (and many others) minded less eating a few.

Many fans dislike a defensive first fighting strategy. I get it.

I think the overrated part is most hardcore fans expecting him to run through Blachowichz and Vettori. He's good. Not as untouchable like his aura is spreading out.

I fully expect Adesanya/Whittaker 2 to be a close chess match.

Nobody is untouchable but he is the most dominant male champ in the UFC right now (it's either him or Usman).

It's fucking telling that his last defense (Vettori), his next one (Whitaker), and the possible one after that (Brunson) will all be rematches.

Last edited:

I don't know man, Whittaker in the first fight was really really sloppy. Forrest is just slower which added to his humiliating defeat.

Before Anderson landed that front kick on Vitor, he dodged a fast combo from him. That was impressive.

I hate Izzy but his counter striking is basically his best skill lol.
You can make an argument for him counterstriking too much but not for it to be ineffective.

Ive always believed Silva struggled to lead tbh. Which made fights where his opponent forced him to lead absolutely boring.

Unlike last night where Adesanya had plenty of opportunities to counter Vettori, yet failed to pulll the trigger. Such is the deficiency in his counter game imo

To be fair, prime Anderson had some real duds like the Leites and Maia fights so you shouldn’t be so confident he would have finished Vetorri.

Nobody is untouchable but he is the most dominant male champ in the UFC right now, imho even more than Usman.

It's fucking telling that his last defense (Vettori), his next one (Whitaker), and the possible one after that (Brunson) will all be rematches.
No one is untouchable. That's it.

Izzy's counters are good enough to make most of his opponents want to sit on the outside with him. If he was horrible, they would fight closer inside with him, but they don't.

Had plenty of opportunities to slip n rip against Vettori, yet chose to constantly back peddle then reset. Im almost certain its a boxing deficiency.
Hate to compare, but I couldnt help but think prime Anderson ends Martin flawlessly.

The clip was a feature of the fight for me throughout, thoughts?

Edit: I think theres a lot of improvement he can make in his boxing, Im not sure he can achieve that at City Kickboxing.

i agree with your statement, however what I find absolutely DUMB as Shit is the fact ath Vitorri
1) didn't check Izzy's kicks (I mean come on fella, didn't you do your homework)
2) Vitorri giving him so much space to unleash his leg kicks. Best gift for strikers like Izzy. It's EAZY to beat IZZY if you apply a la Khabib pressure-cooker style by ridding easy from space and time. Top control on the ground and GnP is fruit-cake ass.
3) allowed Izzy to roll him from the bottom (reverse position). wow, this is rooky mistake.

Back