1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Adesanyas counter-striking is overated

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Maori, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Maori Brown Belt

Had plenty of opportunities to slip n rip against Vettori, yet chose to constantly back peddle then reset. Im almost certain its a boxing deficiency.
    Hate to compare, but I couldnt help but think prime Anderson ends Martin flawlessly.

The clip was a feature of the fight for me throughout, thoughts?

Edit: I think theres a lot of improvement he can make in his boxing, Im not sure he can achieve that at City Kickboxing.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  2. youllneverwalkalone Brown Belt

He is a dominant champ who has basically cleaned his division. I find it very hard to call him overrated.

3. Bowel-forged Stool Manlet belt Platinum Member

Izzy is no prime Anderson, that’s for sure

4. BobblyStruggles 1-2 head kick combo Banned

Marvin had decent head movement and if Izzy overcommitted it opens himself up to be taken down.

5. Peli Silver Belt

exactly. Hate or love him, he beat all the serious names in that division. I think rob is the only one that has a chance.

6. 13Seconds Gold Belt

I think the overrated part is most hardcore fans expecting him to run through Blachowichz and Vettori. He's good. Not as untouchable like his aura is spreading out.

I fully expect Adesanya/Whittaker 2 to be a close chess match.

7. Unfinished Green Belt

His counter-striking isnt bad but compared to the likes of Conor McGregor its nothing special.

8. moreorless87 Straba

Actually as a counter fighter I think he's better than Anderson who generally needed people like Forrest to get VERY sloppy to counter impressively.

The difference I think is that unlike a prime Anderson he doesnt have the ability to pressure opponents or as many ways to finish, he's much more dependent on his counter fighting.

9. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

Yes.

And I’ll add, he’s more defensive than A Silva (not that we should always need to compare them, but hey, TS brought it up). He prefers to win wars by taking less damage first, giving more damage second. Silva (and many others) minded less eating a few.

Many fans dislike a defensive first fighting strategy. I get it.

realdealgeale, Ironnik94 and G10 like this.
  10. youllneverwalkalone Brown Belt

Nobody is untouchable but he is the most dominant male champ in the UFC right now (it's either him or Usman).

It's fucking telling that his last defense (Vettori), his next one (Whitaker), and the possible one after that (Brunson) will all be rematches.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  11. 13Seconds Gold Belt

I don't know man, Whittaker in the first fight was really really sloppy. Forrest is just slower which added to his humiliating defeat.

Before Anderson landed that front kick on Vitor, he dodged a fast combo from him. That was impressive.

12. Jojomojo Brown Belt

I hate Izzy but his counter striking is basically his best skill lol.
    You can make an argument for him counterstriking too much but not for it to be ineffective.

fifinex likes this.
  13. Maori Brown Belt

Ive always believed Silva struggled to lead tbh. Which made fights where his opponent forced him to lead absolutely boring.

Unlike last night where Adesanya had plenty of opportunities to counter Vettori, yet failed to pulll the trigger. Such is the deficiency in his counter game imo

14. TheMessiah Black Belt

Murder kicks new account lol

15. theleerygoose Purple Belt

To be fair, prime Anderson had some real duds like the Leites and Maia fights so you shouldn’t be so confident he would have finished Vetorri.

Tank_Kam likes this.
  16. 13Seconds Gold Belt

No one is untouchable. That's it.

17. Tweak896 Black Belt

Izzy's counters are good enough to make most of his opponents want to sit on the outside with him. If he was horrible, they would fight closer inside with him, but they don't.

Slugfest Addict and GoshiShun17 like this.
  18. elcj Green Belt

Yep, this is what I was thinking too. He's just fighting safe so he doesn't give an opportunity to get taken down, and we know that's what Marvin was looking for especially after the Jan fight. Israel fought smart.

19. New Yorkido Banned Banned

i agree with your statement, however what I find absolutely DUMB as Shit is the fact ath Vitorri
    1) didn't check Izzy's kicks (I mean come on fella, didn't you do your homework)
    2) Vitorri giving him so much space to unleash his leg kicks. Best gift for strikers like Izzy. It's EAZY to beat IZZY if you apply a la Khabib pressure-cooker style by ridding easy from space and time. Top control on the ground and GnP is fruit-cake ass.
    3) allowed Izzy to roll him from the bottom (reverse position). wow, this is rooky mistake.

Andrusz likes this.
  20. BobblyStruggles 1-2 head kick combo Banned

This has to be Murder Kicks.
    Glad you’re back buddy, don’t get banned this time. At least wait until the fight happens.

Kenny Powerth likes this.