Adesanyas counter-striking is overated

Yep, this is what I was thinking too. He's just fighting safe so he doesn't give an opportunity to get taken down, and we know that's what Marvin was looking for especially after the Jan fight. Israel fought smart.
What Jan did different was attempting TDs while Izzy was leaning, leaning being a big part of Izzys defence. While leaning is great in striking sports, it leaves a persons feet planted while being off balance which made Jans TDs easier to land. Im stumped how Martin constantly failed to take advantage of this as he had Izzy in the same spots multiple times after his one-twos. Its apparent in the clip in the OP

Ive always believed Silva struggled to lead tbh. Which made fights where his opponent forced him to lead absolutely boring.

Unlike last night where Adesanya had plenty of opportunities to counter Vettori, yet failed to pulll the trigger. Such is the deficiency in his counter game imo

I think Silva was often quite dependant on his chin when leading and you could argue his takedown defence when doing so was never good(why I think matches like Maia were so dull) but he did finish guys like Franklin and Hendo whilst pushing forward.

Had plenty of opportunities to slip n rip against Vettori, yet chose to constantly back peddle then reset. Im almost certain its a boxing deficiency.
Hate to compare, but I couldnt help but think prime Anderson ends Martin flawlessly.

The clip was a feature of the fight for me throughout, thoughts?

Edit: I think theres a lot of improvement he can make in his boxing, Im not sure he can achieve that at City Kickboxing.

???..

What else does this guy have to do to get some respect around here lol...

Marvin thought he was gunna JAN him and izzy showed hes improved since that loss and u cant do it ..

Imagine trying to find flaws in a fighter whos winning fights flawlessly...50-45 ...

i agree with your statement, however what I find absolutely DUMB as Shit is the fact ath Vitorri
1) didn't check Izzy's kicks (I mean come on fella, didn't you do your homework)
2) Vitorri giving him so much space to unleash his leg kicks. Best gift for strikers like Izzy. It's EAZY to beat IZZY if you apply a la Khabib pressure-cooker style by ridding easy from space and time. Top control on the ground and GnP is fruit-cake ass.
3) allowed Izzy to roll him from the bottom (reverse position). wow, this is rooky mistake.

You should have coached Vittori because you obviously see things that him and his team of professionals don’t see. You could have made it an easy night at the office for them....

Really guys come on now.....

It was supposed to be an easy night for Rob, he got knocked the hell out , for Costa he lost and now for Vittori and he got outclassed. I think it’s safe to say that Izzy is doing something right and that maybe it might not be “easiest” thing to be in the octagon with him.

Of course I’m no professional MMA fighter like so many others on this site so I could be wrong ....

I don't know man, Whittaker in the first fight was really really sloppy. Forrest is just slower which added to his humiliating defeat.

Before Anderson landed that front kick on Vitor, he dodged a fast combo from him. That was impressive.
yep Vitor had some of the fastest hands and Andy made him look slow, Andy is the goat counter striker

Had plenty of opportunities to slip n rip against Vettori, yet chose to constantly back peddle then reset. Im almost certain its a boxing deficiency.
Hate to compare, but I couldnt help but think prime Anderson ends Martin flawlessly.

The clip was a feature of the fight for me throughout, thoughts?

Edit: I think theres a lot of improvement he can make in his boxing, Im not sure he can achieve that at City Kickboxing.

It is absolutely a boxing deficiency. Even his punching isn't the best, he makes up for it with his defense, footwork, and stellar kicking.

BTW the coaches from City Kickboxing train pro-boxers.

Izzy is no prime Anderson, that’s for sure
Anderson didn't have Izzy's competition, that's for sure.

Israel's counter striking reminds me of the wannabe kids in high school who loved the fancy "between the legs" dribbling and would just lose the ball half the time. Him "dodging punches" against the fence against a very limited striker who was still landing repeatedly while the announcers acted like he just parted the red sea was PAINFUL.

Ignore his credentials, put the fight on mute, and ignore the big dramatic entrances/taunts so you will see that he does JACK SHIT for 75% of his actual fight time.

Anderson fought like a video game character for most of his career with jaw dropping finishes that you had to see to believe. Israel desperately TRIES to fight like that but IMHO... he fails at doing so. The hype on him feels ridiculously forced whereas with Anderson, it felt natural.

Izzy is no prime Anderson, that’s for sure

I agree...he’s not. The comparison needs to stop. Anderson set the fight world on fire and was a once in a generation talent for the time he was fighting in.

Izzy is great and is already one of the greatest MWs ever but he still has work to do to catch up and might never catch up...However that shouldn’t diminish Izzys greatness either.

Face it, the guy is a point fighter. His main technique is leg kicks. I gave Vettori very little chance of beating him. But, I think Whittaker employing the proper gameplan can win the rematch. It’s the fight I want to see. On the post fight show they were talking about a rematch with Jan. Gtfo with that shit. Whittaker has earned the rematch with a full camp behind him.

Nobody is untouchable but he is the most dominant male champ in the UFC right now, imho even more than Usman.

It's fucking telling that his last defense (Vettori), his next one (Whitaker), and the possible one after that (Brunson) will all be rematches.

How is he more dominant than Usman?

Israel last 6: UD vs Kelvin in a hard fought war by both men, Whittaker super dominant win, UD vs Romero in a super boring fight no one dominated no one, Paulo costa super dominant win, Loss to Jan, and Dominant UD vs Vettori

Usman last 6: UD vs RDA in totally dominant fashion, UD vs Woodley in totally dominant fashion, TKO vs Colby in a very close fight but he finished him, UD vs Masvidal in super dominant fashion, TKO gilbert burns and KO Masvidal.

None of usmans were close fights and theres no losses, sure the Colby fight was close but he ended up finishing him and breaking his jaw.

???..

What else does this guy have to do to get some respect around here lol...

Marvin thought he was gunna JAN him and izzy showed hes improved since that loss and u cant do it ..

Imagine trying to find flaws in a fighter whos winning fights flawlessly...50-45 ...

Lol dude it’s the narrative with Izzy here. After every fight a large group comes out to criticize everything and say how they would beat Izzy. It’s textbook after all his fights.

You should have coached Vittori because you obviously see things that him and his team of professionals don’t see. You could have made it an easy night at the office for them....

Really guys come on now.....

It was supposed to be an easy night for Rob, he got knocked the hell out , for Costa he lost and now for Vittori and he got outclassed. I think it’s safe to say that Izzy is doing something right and that maybe it might not be “easiest” thing to be in the octagon with him.

Of course I’m no professional MMA fighter like so many others on this site so I could be wrong ....
there are certain things that are obvious to high IQ fighters, which Vitorri is not. Don't take my word for it son, take Yan Blachowic's (actions). He showed the dumb world how to beat the world class striker that Adesanya is - have top control on the ground and GnP the fruit cake to the pulp. So why is your hero Vetorri couldn't learn from Bob's loss, and Yan's win?

there are certain things that are obvious to high IQ fighters, which Vitorri is not. Don't take my word for it son, take Yan Blachowic's (actions). He showed the dumb world how to beat the world class striker that Adesanya is - have top control on the ground and GnP the fruit cake to the pulp. So why is your hero Vetorri couldn't learn from Bob's loss, and Yan's win?

Because all fighters are not built equally. Not every fighter can adopt another's strategy. Jan and Vettori are nothing alike. Two different fighters in two completely different weight classes.

Ive always believed Silva struggled to lead tbh. Which made fights where his opponent forced him to lead absolutely boring.

Unlike last night where Adesanya had plenty of opportunities to counter Vettori, yet failed to pulll the trigger. Such is the deficiency in his counter game imo
Izzy is best while leading and people don’t realize this, he’s very mobile but side stepping doesn’t mean he’s countering.

izzy has great defence and doesn’t get hit because he’s so great defensively but he does his bestwork when he’s leading with his tricky angels.

If Silva fought the KG that Izzy fought I think Silva would starch him easily.
But
If Silva fought the Costa that Izzy fought it would’ve been a contender for worst fight of all time.

(not saying Izzy can’t counter but aside from his pull left hook he’s pretty limited while his opponent is leading)

only works on guys mutch shorter than him and with 0 boxing skill

I think Silva was often quite dependant on his chin when leading and you could argue his takedown defence when doing so was never good(why I think matches like Maia were so dull) but he did finish guys like Franklin and Hendo whilst pushing forward.
Hendo and Franklin also gave him plenty of reads early though. Silva also walked Okami and Sonnen down but I think he only did this once he was confident he had all of their biggest striking weapons timed for speed and angle.

Back