Adesanyas counter-striking is overated

Izzy is no prime Anderson, that’s for sure

I was just talking to my brother about this.

Anderson Silva could put his hands down at his side, walk backward, slip every punch thrown, and then with one shot KO an opponent.

Izzy will never have that level of swag.

He's too weak, too fearful, and too cautious EVER to be another Anderson Silva.

His counter-striking isnt bad but compared to the likes of Conor McGregor its nothing special.
Conor's striking is nothing compared to Adesanyas striking. He has way more tools to beat you with, Conor is very basic.

He didn't say he is overrated, he said his counter-striking is.

But even that is nonsense because what does "overrated" mean? There is no absolute scale for skills so it would have to be in comparison to his peers. His counter-striking is good enough that he picked apart other strikers in his division like Whitaker and Costa. That does not mean that he that he doesn't have room for improvement or that he never make mistakes in fights, but that's not really the point.

How many fighters in the current UFC roster would you say have better counter striking that Adesanya? I bet you'd have a hard time coming up with 3 names.

But even that is nonsense because what does "overrated" mean? There is no absolute scale for skills so it would have to be in comparison to his peers. His counter-striking is good enough that he picked apart other strikers in his division like Whitaker and Costa. That does not mean that he that he doesn't have room for improvement or that he never make mistakes in fights, but that's not really the point.

How many fighters in the current UFC roster would you say have better counter striking that Adesanya? I bet you'd have a hard time coming up with 3 names.
Overrated means exact what it says: he has counter-striking which people rate higher than it is actually is.

It is absolutely a boxing deficiency. Even his punching isn't the best, he makes up for it with his defense, footwork, and stellar kicking.

BTW the coaches from City Kickboxing train pro-boxers.

Anderson didn't have Izzy's competition, that's for sure.
yea, he had much better competition. MW is fucking trash right now.

How is he more dominant than Usman?

Israel last 6: UD vs Kelvin in a hard fought war by both men, Whittaker super dominant win, UD vs Romero in a super boring fight no one dominated no one, Paulo costa super dominant win, Loss to Jan, and Dominant UD vs Vettori

Usman last 6: UD vs RDA in totally dominant fashion, UD vs Woodley in totally dominant fashion, TKO vs Colby in a very close fight but he finished him, UD vs Masvidal in super dominant fashion, TKO gilbert burns and KO Masvidal.

None of usmans were close fights and theres no losses, sure the Colby fight was close but he ended up finishing him and breaking his jaw.

The undertone of my post was that it's either him or Usman (I'm gonna edit my post afterwards), so that was in no way a jab on Kamaru.

I agree with you that when you look at performances you can make an argument that Usman has been more dominant. The Jan loss however doesn't really count in this discussion because that happened in a different weight class.

I would say Israel has separated himself more from the pack. If I have to bet, I think Usman will lose his belt before Izzy does. Colby is still a credible threat despite the first loss, Wonderboy and Luque can pose some stylistical challenges, etc. At MW the only guy is Whitaker who Israel has already beaten in a super dominant fashion.

Again both are super dominant champs and really it depends on what you choose to focus on.

That kind of counter-striking is also a form of risk-taking. You have to totally commit to the counters, and that means that you're totally open and off balance if you miss.

That is one of the main differences between Adesanya and Silva. Prime Silva was a guy who was willing to commit with no fear because he had a supernatural confidence in his own chin.

I don't think I've seen a fighter with that style who has been more willing to get hit in order to get the KO than Silva(due to his chute-box upbringing) and Adesanya just doesn't have the same fearlessness. That is why he resets and backpedals so much.

Conor's striking is nothing compared to Adesanyas striking. He has way more tools to beat you with, Conor is very basic.

Again: izzy aint a counter fighter. So why even compare

I honestly think that the problem is that the UFC is trying to ram this narrative down our throats that Adesanya is this unbeatable force that has zero flaws in his game, which is obviously quite far from the truth. He’s beating a majority of his MW opponents in dominant fashion, except sometimes employing a super conservatives game plan which gives the haters something to gripe about. If the UFC was just a little bit impartial in the commentary in lieu of cheerleading Adesanya, I honestly don’t think he receive the amount of disgruntled fans hating on the guy.

He is a dominant champ who has basically cleaned his division. I find it very hard to call him overrated.
He’s definitely overrated in the sense people were claiming he’d smoke Jan. Even on the post fight show last Saturday. They were talking about a rematch with Jan. Gtfo with that shit.

And how many of you will man up, and say you predicted he’d beat Jan easily?? Yes, in that sense he’s overrated as fuck.

I was just talking to my brother about this.

Anderson Silva could put his hands down at his side, walk backward, slip every punch thrown, and then with one shot KO an opponent.

Izzy will never have that level of swag.

He's too weak, too fearful, and too cautious EVER to be another Anderson Silva.
Totally agree. Izzy is great, but his lack of power/swag..

I honestly think that the problem is that the UFC is trying to ram this narrative down our throats that Adesanya is this unbeatable force that has zero flaws in his game, which is obviously quite far from the truth. He’s beating a majority of his MW opponents in dominant fashion, except sometimes employing a super conservatives game plan which gives the haters something to gripe about. If the UFC was just a little bit impartial in the commentary in lieu of cheerleading Adesanya, I honestly don’t think he receive the amount of disgruntled fans hating on the guy.

Couldn't agree more with you. If only there was something in between cheerleading and hating...

Had plenty of opportunities to slip n rip against Vettori, yet chose to constantly back peddle then reset. Im almost certain its a boxing deficiency.
Hate to compare, but I couldnt help but think prime Anderson ends Martin flawlessly.

The clip was a feature of the fight for me throughout, thoughts?

Edit: I think theres a lot of improvement he can make in his boxing, Im not sure he can achieve that at City Kickboxing.

Yep no power or hands. Vettori had the crisper boxing and better jab

Had plenty of opportunities to slip n rip against Vettori, yet chose to constantly back peddle then reset. Im almost certain its a boxing deficiency.
Hate to compare, but I couldnt help but think prime Anderson ends Martin flawlessly.

The clip was a feature of the fight for me throughout, thoughts?

Edit: I think theres a lot of improvement he can make in his boxing, Im not sure he can achieve that at City Kickboxing.

Adesanya seems to prefer to slip at range and counter that way relying on his reach that is usually longer than most of the fighters he fights. That is how he can time and counter them in striking exchanges eg like how he ko whittaker or Costa. That way and the fact that he is always in motion slidg away from his attacker is also useful to avoid takedowns.

Yep no power or hands. Vettori had the crisper boxing and better jab

He didn't say he is overrated, he said his counter-striking is.

LOL

BrightBriskDragonfly-size_restricted.gif

Whittaker is a little overrated. Who has he KOd? Pillow fisted point fighter

Who has KO'd Whittaker besides WB?

He survived an absolute beating from Romero in their second fight.

Back