Adesanyas counter-striking is overated

His striking in general is overrated. He couldn't really get off any clean power shots to Vetorri, other than the leg kicks.

Yet every time the commentators talk like he's some messiah lmao like 'HIS STRIKING BEAUTY IS JUST INHUMAN!'

Pretty obvious to me that he's never been especially comfortable within punching range. I guess you can say it's due to a deficiency. Anderson seemed to get the better of the exchanges when he closed in despite, frankly, being careless. But Izzy didn't have the 1 foot height and 8 inch reach advantage that he has over the majority of guys so he couldn't play the lean and hook game like he did with Costa and Whittaker.

Or maybe Izzy just thinks it's not worth the risk and would rather reset and tee off on dudes with kicks. He is the certified master in that area after all and if you can beat a guy by playing it safe then why not?
Great post, I couldnt have said it better myself. Looking back at my OP, I should have probably started with your first sentence as I totally agree.

“Pretty obvious to me that he's never been especially comfortable within punching range”

He has the bobbing and weaving part down.. but what comes after he becomes average at. it takes him forever to land that counter shot. Of course there are times when things line up for him just right and we get a Costa and Whitaker type result. But more times than not, his counters are way off or he just does not pull the trigger at all.

With that said it's still good enough to be Champ. So that say's a lot about everyone else too.

Some of you kids want nothing more than someone to finally surpass Silva. It's really sad. The only fighter in history who even comes close is Jon Jones.

Deal with it.

Back