adcc changes rules-same day weigh ins

I respect your views but your shit talking about the man isn't needed. You know nothing of him other than what you see on youtube. Nobody in this thread disrespected him because he has earned respect of fellow grapplers. I just wish you would do the same.

fair enough :D

I am not opposed to same day weigh ins, it is not an issue. Doing a 5 second before you figt or even (in grappling for instance) random weigh ins throughout the day is not cool.

Oh and fighting 20 lbs bigger would happen ANYWAY in MMA.
A 188lb guy could easily face a 205lb guy but the 188lb guy cant cut the 3lbs to drop to the 185lb category.

It changes nothing except mixes up the weight class, you STILL will have guys 20lbs apart because many of the classes have 20lb spreads.

Light to weleterweight in MMA has a 15lb spread, welter to light heavy a 20lb spread, light heavy to heavy a 60 lb spread. So a guy walking around at 209 that CAN cut same day (an hour or 2 before the fight) cannot anymore and has to potentially fight a guy nearly 60lbs heavier.

in adcc 77kg to 88kg is what? 24, 25lbs? 170lb guy versus a 193lb guy STILL='s a 20+ lb spread.

Just saying.

That's a very, very specious argument. The line is ALWAYS drawn somewhere? 155...170...185...205. Doesn't matter if you make it 158...173...188...208. The line is still drawn and fighters have to make SOME weight class. A fighter who weighs 188 doesn't have to "cut" to make 185. It just means he can't have cheeseburgers the week before the fight. It's not like every fighter currently walks around at those weights and only those weights. Some are naturally lighter for a weight class, some are near the limit. As some fighters get older they move up or down depending on a variety of factors.

The problem today is that fighters who don't WANT to cut are the only ones who face large weight differences (a la Nick Diaz.) So it forces fighters to HAVE to cut if they want to face someone of similar weight. It's become a "part of the game." A part that has absolutely nothing to do with how good of a "fighter" they are. "Weight cutting" shouldn't be an actual "tool" in a fighters tool box. "Yeah Joe, his stand up is average and he's a BJJ black belt, but his weight cutting is world class." ?!?!? Fighters should fight. Not worry about bouncing off some artificial weight floor a day before the fight.

(PS You might want to go back and edit your weight classes there. :wink: Looks like you were thinking of MW at one point.)

I honestly don't see the big deal, these weigh in rules have been used in amateur wrestling for years

I do like this a lot, it levels the playing field a lot and now you're going to get the right people at the right weight, I really wish MMA would catch on to this, but whatever I'd rather watch grappling matches than MMA matches anyday

Welp, there went the entire relevant -65 kilo weight class...

From what you wrote it seems like you have watch the match.. YES Pablo may have poked in the eye but it was an unintentional move, it was not done with ill intend. I dont think you can say the same about his short grabbing. He did it over and over again, intentionally, to gain unfair advantage on his opponent who beat him every time they faced before. So you can not say he was poked in the eye and the last pass was without a short grab. Intentional vs a simple accident. On top of that who cares is the ref, did not see it. When a perfect pitch ruined by a ref. or when Englands goal that passed the line was not seen my the ref what happens? Again I believe it is irrelevant if the ref saw it or not. TRUTH DOES NOT NEED A FAN BASE. When Marcelo submitted Rolles Gracie Jr. in the previous ADCC nobody saw what happened but Renzo came in and asked and then it was told to the ref that there is a submission here not a freak injury.

So I humbly disagree with you. Pablo intentionally cheated (he is a cheater) and I am ready to present my shorts to him at his request.

Dude, chill out. It happens in the heat of the moment. Ive had MMA fights where I repeatedly grabbed the fence, even after being warned. I wasnt trying to cheat, it was just a repeated natural reaction, as my brain was focused on something entirely different. You sound like a whining 14 year old, take a chill pill.

IBJJF events make you weigh in right before you step on the mat for your match, so you can't really cut at all because you don't have a chance to rehydrate or eat. I think it's a good thing that they're doing this for ADCC too.

And of course Marcelo is happy--he doesn't have to fight Pablo anymore!

Oh they dont? So Cobrinha and Mendes walk around at 150lbs on a day to day basis. Mundials is a combination of INTENSE dieting and in some cases, cutting water weight as well. The black belt brackets are seeded, meaning the good guys get easier draws first match, meaning they can cut the water weight, compete at 70% and still win. Especially at the lighter weights where the bracket is smaller. You think Caio Terra (example. I think Caio is one of the most insanely entertaining fighters to watch in the entire tournament. Im a huge fan, so dont start) walks around as a rooster weight!? Or is it more realistic that he realizes he has ONE fight to get through while dehydrated, and then he is in the quarter or semi finals which take place the next day, where he will feel a hell of a lot better coming in to fight Malfacine. And believe me, there is a lot of panicing about weight going on by the top guys the night before. Im talking 5+ lbs. Theres a reason why Gui Mendes didnt have any patches on his gi this year.

In terms of the lower weights, and speaking personally I fought Pluma. And I was a fucking BIG light featherweight. 5

Last edited:
weight cutting isn't cheating, but it is against the spirit of the rules and i hope it is eliminated

Most people who talk about "the spirit" of something are just talking about themselves.

Bollocks. Why would anyone cut weight for an event that weighs you in right before you step on the mat?

What it leads to is NO cutting and perfectly hydrated competitors. And for the most part (MMA speaking) the same people competing against the same competitors...just up a weight class (or 2!) But it would be inherently safer.

People, people, people, boxing had "day of" weigh ins for a hundred freaking years. No one bitched. No one complained. Everyone fought at their natural weight. No one was "dehydrated." No one struggled to cut another 10 pounds. You got in shape, weighed yourself, and that was your weight class. Period. People of similar weight fought each other and you never had to worry about someone coming into the ring 20 pounds heavier than you.

Weight "cutting" is a relatively new phenomenon that CAN (and should) be eliminated by simply telling the fighters that they will be weighed in right before their match. People will whine. People will bitch. An occasional fight will be canceled due to someone not making weight at fight time. And then everyone will learn and we'll finally get to see a couple of 170 pounders compete for the 170 pound title. Wouldn't that be an eye opener?[/QUOTE

wrestlers weight in hours before a match and cut 5-10 lbs? You never competed i guarantee it

The spirit means they made weight classes for a reason, to level the playing field. Extreme weight cutting goes against those principles, because the competetor "manipulates" his weight for the instance of getting on the scale, and is much heavier during the match which gives him an advantage

we use a madsion bracketing system, which takes the pressure of weight cutting out of the competition. you will grapple against some one within 10% of your weight, but there are no pre define weight classes.

we use a madsion bracketing system, which takes the pressure of weight cutting out of the competition. you will grapple against some one within 10% of your weight, but there are no pre define weight classes.

sounds pretty cool right there....

I like.

You guys really think people are not going to cut weight anymore? Oh and no one does roids either......the fighters are going to do whatever will give them an edge...some anyways not all

You guys really think people are not going to cut weight anymore? Oh and no one does roids either......the fighters are going to do whatever will give them an edge...some anyways not all

Sure, most will dehydrate to make weight - that's what happens in judo where the weigh ins are same day. But there's a science to it, and most do it safely. There are those who do it to an extent that it harms their health, but its about the same percentage who do it for day before weigh ins - you can't force people to be smart, and its pointless to try to protect people from themselves.

For those who want to get in as light as possible, if its day before they're trying to lose say 30 pounds to compete, if its same day its 15 pounds, but they're still going to overdo it. Its not unlike ananexoria, some guys are always think they should be fighting in lower and lower weight divisions; nothing is going to change that.

Day before or same day, its really just an organizational issue (ie what's most convenient for the organizers); its not a health issue except for those who don't follow the science, and those types are going to screw their bodies in any case.

This probably means I'll never do ADCC again. It's 60 kg and down, 61 and up. NO WAY I can compete at 68 kg (150 lbs) against girls who weigh 200+.

The origin of day before weigh in's goes back to when boxing became a big media event in the late 60's, early 70's. Ali was a big part of it. Before that boxers were not only weighed in the "day of" but most were weighed in hours or minutes before the fight. But someone finally figured out, "hey, let's get these guys together the day BEFORE the fight, have them weigh in, do a little press conference, let them talk some smack, and we'll generate even MORE interest in this fight!" But, here's the rub. Back then no one cut. Everyone trained, got into shape, and fought in whatever weight class they NATURALLY belonged in. Not a single fighter bitched and whined about it. Why? Because they all fought at their natural weight anyway. It took a full decade or so before some boxers in the smaller weight classes finally said, "hmm, you know what? I could weigh in on Friday and then add a couple pounds before my fight on Saturday. That might give me an advantage?" Again, it was only a COUPLE of pounds "back in the day." Now fast forward to 2005. The advances in sports medicine and our knowledge of physiology has grown tremendously. Now we have people like Billy Rush who can help a fighter "weigh in" at one weight but actually get him ready to fight 20, 25, even 30 pounds heavier the next day. Technically this may all be "legal" (for all those of you who say it isn't cheating) but the fact is that they are still "gaming the system." I still don't understand how you can have a UFC Welterweight Title match...between 2 guys who enter the Octagon at 190lbs.? (see: GSP vs. Hughes.) Another one that burns me is when Riggs fought Hughes. Hughes weighed in, made 170 and sat down. Immediately began drinking his pedialyte and had a sandwich, power bars, etc. Riggs didn't make weight. Went away to cut. Came back and STILL didn't make weight. Weighed in at 173 I think? The rub? Hughes was sitting right there next to him and actually weighed MORE than Riggs did right at that moment. So what's so special about the weigh in? We have weight classes to try and ensure even matches between competitors who supposedly belong to that weight class. Why the day before? Why not a week before? Hell, I weighed 170 in High School, why can't I take that weight?

Weight classes are there for a reason. "Allowing" fighters to cut defies that reasoning.

Beautiful post.

This probably means I'll never do ADCC again. It's 60 kg and down, 61 and up. NO WAY I can compete at 68 kg (150 lbs) against girls who weigh 200+.

Bullshit, you've fought in the open weight division. Why would you bother to compete in those divisions if you thought you didn't have a chance?

Back