adcc changes rules-same day weigh ins

iwannabeadored

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Graciemag International ADCC changes rules, Garcia approves, Popovitch doesn’t

there’s news out of the traditional submission grappling tournament the ADCC, which is about to kick off the tryouts stage for the 2011 event. Changes have been made to the competition rules.

-Traditionally, weigh-ins would be held the day before competing. As the finals are on the second day of competition, some of the competitors would make it to the final well over the weight limit.

Now weigh-ins are to take place shortly before the athletes take to the mats for their first bout. But, even after the first match, the athletes will not be able to stray from their diets. The referees shall have the authority to request a second weight in at any time. In this case, the fighter has wiggle room of 2 kg (4.4 lbs). Should the athlete be heavier than that, they will be disqualified.

“I think it’s great,” said three-time champion of the tournament Marcelo Garcia over Twitter.

The 170lb division champion, otherwise, did not like the change. Pablo Popovitch, who defeated Garcia in Barcelona, last September, commented the new rule also on Twitter: “With this change, the 170lb division is over for me. It is impossible for me t compete right after making the weight. Next year, I will compete at the category above. I’d really liked to have a forth final in a row against Garcia to make history.”

About the rivalry with Garcia, Popovitch has a suggestion for the ADCC: “They could put Marcelo and myself in a superfight. We sure deserve it as we closed out the last three 170lb division finals.”

Another reason for the change is to preserve the athletes’ physical integrity, by avoiding extreme and dangerous weight cuts.

same day weigh in, no biggie. Pulling you out of the stands during a comp to weigh you, Stupid.

same day weigh in, no biggie. Pulling you out of the stands during a comp to weigh you, Stupid.

I don't want to see cheating fucks. Im glad.

Its a surefire to make sure no one is trying to cheat the system.

How is weight cutting cheating?

Yeah I dont get that either.

Also if a guy has a same day weigh in and has to cut too much his cardio will suffer, so I am not sure how that is cheating.

in boxing they would have the weigh in 2 or 3 days before the fight and then the fighters would gain 10 - 15 lbs. the next day. ridiculous. im glad they are doing something about this bullshit.

Yeah I dont get that either.

Also if a guy has a same day weigh in and has to cut too much his cardio will suffer, so I am not sure how that is cheating.

Some people i've seen with my own eyes, can do it.

I've seen a cut of 14 pounds on the same day.

in boxing they would have the weigh in 2 or 3 days before the fight and then the fighters would gain 10 - 15 lbs. the next day. ridiculous. im glad they are doing something about this bullshit.

Well fighters have the choice whether to cut or not. If they don't cut, they face guys who do cut. It's perfectly within the rules, it's not cheating and it's not bullshit. Stop crying.

Well fighters have the choice whether to cut or not. If they don't cut, they face guys who do cut. It's perfectly within the rules, it's not cheating and it's not bullshit. Stop crying.

Its cheating now hahaha, sorry bitches

Some people i've seen with my own eyes, can do it.

I've seen a cut of 14 pounds on the same day.
The pussification of America.......

It can be done but why? Your gas tank will be empty anyway. Besides I thought BJJ was about beating a bigger guy, what happened to that?

Last edited:

It can be done but why? Your gas tank will be empty anyway. Besides I thought BJJ was about beating a bigger guy, what happened to that?

That's what I thought when I read this

the amount of dumb shit on this thread is retarded.

cutting weight is not cheating. not sure if this guy is a troll or a dip shit, but i think it may be a little from column a and a little from column b.

You are allowed to cut weight, the rule is you have to weigh a certain amount during weigh ins.

mma does the day before is so people can have energy during the actual fight.

if adcc wants to do weigh ins the day of that is fine. Just saying cutting weight is not cheating, and every one that does needs to take the sand out of their vag.

next, BJJ is not all about beating the bigger guy. You can say it will help a smaller bjj trained guy beat a bigger and less experienced guy.

BJJ is about leverage and advancing position and ripping off a limb or two.

how fucking dumb do you have to be to think that weight does not play a factor when you are competing against the best nogi grapplers in the world????

hey, lets put marcelo against roger gracie that is even.

please, just use your brain for like 2 seconds before posting stupid shit.

how is that a "pussification"? :S

that's what the abosulute division is for

Well, that suggests there shouldn't be weight divisions. There still are some old school judo guys (and probably BJJ guys) who believe that, though I note that most of the folks saying that tend to be pretty big themselves.

I don't see it an issue either way; as an athlete you just go by whatever the rules are. If the rules are day before weigh in you train accordingly, if they are same day weigh-ins you train for that, if they are five minutes before the match you train for that. So long as the rules are the same for everyone they don't really matter. And its not cheating if you go by whatever the current rules are.

The reason for day before weigh ins in boxing and MMA is, I suspect, related to generating spectator interest (ie weigh in media event) rather than any health reason for or against. Making weight is a science; competitors vary training and weight division according to pretty well understand physiology (at least in high level wrestling and judo). Its kind of a non-issue.

Well, that suggests there shouldn't be weight divisions. There still are some old school judo guys (and probably BJJ guys) who believe that, though I note that most of the folks saying that tend to be pretty big themselves.

I don't see it an issue either way; as an athlete you just go by whatever the rules are. If the rules are day before weigh in you train accordingly, if they are same day weigh-ins you train for that, if they are five minutes before the match you train for that. So long as the rules are the same for everyone they don't really matter. And its not cheating if you go by whatever the current rules are.

The reason for day before weigh ins in boxing and MMA is, I suspect, related to generating spectator interest (ie weigh in media event) rather than any health reason for or against. Making weight is a science; competitors vary training and weight division according to pretty well understand physiology (at least in high level wrestling and judo). Its kind of a non-issue.
The origin of day before weigh in's goes back to when boxing became a big media event in the late 60's, early 70's. Ali was a big part of it. Before that boxers were not only weighed in the "day of" but most were weighed in hours or minutes before the fight. But someone finally figured out, "hey, let's get these guys together the day BEFORE the fight, have them weigh in, do a little press conference, let them talk some smack, and we'll generate even MORE interest in this fight!" But, here's the rub. Back then no one cut. Everyone trained, got into shape, and fought in whatever weight class they NATURALLY belonged in. Not a single fighter bitched and whined about it. Why? Because they all fought at their natural weight anyway. It took a full decade or so before some boxers in the smaller weight classes finally said, "hmm, you know what? I could weigh in on Friday and then add a couple pounds before my fight on Saturday. That might give me an advantage?" Again, it was only a COUPLE of pounds "back in the day." Now fast forward to 2005. The advances in sports medicine and our knowledge of physiology has grown tremendously. Now we have people like Billy Rush who can help a fighter "weigh in" at one weight but actually get him ready to fight 20, 25, even 30 pounds heavier the next day. Technically this may all be "legal" (for all those of you who say it isn't cheating) but the fact is that they are still "gaming the system." I still don't understand how you can have a UFC Welterweight Title match...between 2 guys who enter the Octagon at 190lbs.? (see: GSP vs. Hughes.) Another one that burns me is when Riggs fought Hughes. Hughes weighed in, made 170 and sat down. Immediately began drinking his pedialyte and had a sandwich, power bars, etc. Riggs didn't make weight. Went away to cut. Came back and STILL didn't make weight. Weighed in at 173 I think? The rub? Hughes was sitting right there next to him and actually weighed MORE than Riggs did right at that moment. So what's so special about the weigh in? We have weight classes to try and ensure even matches between competitors who supposedly belong to that weight class. Why the day before? Why not a week before? Hell, I weighed 170 in High School, why can't I take that weight?

Weight classes are there for a reason. "Allowing" fighters to cut defies that reasoning.

Back