adcc changes rules-same day weigh ins

WOW you guys got trolled, I guess.

My whole "BJJ was about beating the bigger guy" was a tounge in cheek in response to the stupid notion that cutting weight was cheating.

Are we a bit sensitive?

IBJJF events make you weigh in right before you step on the mat for your match, so you can't really cut at all because you don't have a chance to rehydrate or eat. I think it's a good thing that they're doing this for ADCC too.

And of course Marcelo is happy--he doesn't have to fight Pablo anymore!

I don't like the idea of random weigh-ins during the tourney. If you're walking around at 170, a big meal or other random fluctuations could put you at 175 a couple hours later.

Good I love this rule, I am sorry but if you can't fight the day you weigh in because you cut then you shouldn't be in that class to begin with. Yes cutting weight IS cheating.

I would not call it cheating.

But why would someone want to fight someone smaller that him?

Is it not the point of weight class? to compete against someone your same weight.

Maybe they like fighting smaller guys to even the odds!

Same Day weigh ins are fine. Even an hour or so before the event begins. But the random, "I might pull you out of the stands" crap is bogus. Then we have to make sure EVERYONE is weighed throughout the event. Not just a few random guys or gals.

Same Day weigh ins are fine. Even an hour or so before the event begins. But the random, "I might pull you out of the stands" crap is bogus. Then we have to make sure EVERYONE is weighed throughout the event. Not just a few random guys or gals.

People are fixating on that but do you honestly think they're going to have weight police who walk around and grab athletes to make them weigh in?

It just means they're going to weigh you before your match, like they already do at IBJJF events.

How is weight cutting cheating?

i don't know that it's "cheating" necessarily, since weight cutting isn't against the rules. but i think you should be competing at (or close to) a weight you walk around at day-to-day. the whole point of cutting weight is to try and be in the lowest weight class possible, while being the heaviest within that weight class. that's always struck me as shifty. i mean, if the cut off is 150 and you walk around at 153, fine. but if you walk around 160-165, and cut weight just long enough to weigh in but are fighting closer to 160, i think it's unfair.

if you can't compete at your weigh-in weight, you shouldn't be competing in that division in the first place.

i'm in the process of preparing to start competing this fall. i'm shooting to get down to 150 (just under a 10lb cut), but not by cutting. i actually want to feel strong and comfortable at that weight. and that means losing the weight naturally and sustainably, not starving/dehydrating myself for a week before the tournament.

i don't know that it's "cheating" necessarily, since weight cutting isn't against the rules. but i think you should be competing at (or close to) a weight you walk around at day-to-day. the whole point of cutting weight is to try and be in the lowest weight class possible, while being the heaviest within that weight class. that's always struck me as shifty. i mean, if the cut off is 150 and you walk around at 153, fine. but if you walk around 160-165, and cut weight just long enough to weigh in but are fighting closer to 160, i think it's unfair.

if you can't compete at your weigh-in weight, you shouldn't be competing in that division in the first place.

i'm in the process of preparing to start competing this fall. i'm shooting to get down to 150 (just under a 10lb cut), but not by cutting. i actually want to feel strong and comfortable at that weight. and that means losing the weight naturally and sustainably, not starving/dehydrating myself for a week before the tournament.

Thats likely the most logical post on this thread.

Have any of you ever weighed in during the morning after a good #1 and #2? You will be far lighter than after drinking your fluids and eating.

I have seen fluctuations of 4-5 lbs EASY. In some cases.

Anyway as the post I quoted said the best ad safets method is staying at a good fit weight, but I still dont see how it is cheating or poor sport if you are in a weight class that is 151-165lbs when you could lose 4 or 5 pounds (smartly) and compete at 150 lbs.

Whatever the rules are the rules and that is the way they want it.

weight classes are made to make sure you have to guys of the simliar weight fighting, not to have 2 guys with similir weight at the weights in, the purpurse of the rule IS THE FIGHT! not the weights in... yea, literally, it isnt cheating, but is fooling the system....

Im fine with weight cutting, I dont give a rat ass fuck if the guy chooses to cut 30 pounds from his natural weight to fight in the lowest weight class possible, but if he signs to fight at 170, then HE MUST ENTER THE CAGE AT 170... (in this case, the mat)... pretty simple.

How is weight cutting cheating?

It's not cheating, but it is certainly against the spirit of weight classes. Sure, everyone can cut weight, but a grappling tournament isn't supposed to be a test of grappling AND weight cutting skill. It gives someone an advantage that they aren't "supposed" to have.

IBJJF events make you weigh in right before you step on the mat for your match, so you can't really cut at all because you don't have a chance to rehydrate or eat. I think it's a good thing that they're doing this for ADCC too.

And of course Marcelo is happy--he doesn't have to fight Pablo anymore!

Haa haaa. Pablo likes to grab on to shorts so much that I am offering him my jockstrap to chew on...

Marcelo beat him EVERY EACH FIGHT... excluding the the one where Paplo went in to check in Marcelos junk..

PS: Hey Pablo, my offer still stands, come and grab my shorts. If you cant rip them of I will give them to you after rolling so you can chew on them.

[QUOTE=iwannabeadored;40610715
Another reason for the change is to preserve the athletes

Great! I really like this, and I'd like to see something similar in MMA. I really don't like that the weight-game has become as important as it is now.

I would not call it cheating.

But why would someone want to fight someone smaller that him?

Is it not the point of weight class? to compete against someone your same weight.

Maybe they like fighting smaller guys to even the odds!
I think it's more of an arms race thing. Most people simply want to compete against guys their own size. Once a few people starts to cut, the rest will have to cut if they want to avoid larger opponents. I cut 4-5 lbs because I wanted opponents of roughly my own size, not because I have a fetish for crushing little people.

I like this change, and I was planning not to cut for the next tournament anyway. My main problems are technical and mental, not getting outmuscled.

honestly I understand cutting and how it works etc

BUT I'd prefer to see no weight cutting at all. I'd prefer if people just dieted down to 155, 170, whatever and fought like that. No dropping water weight, ready to fight at almost any time, etc.

I know it won't happen, but I'd like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back