ADCC 2013 aftermath discussion

Some cool stuff at ADCC this year but still sounded disappointing. Would have liked to have seen Rafael beat Cobrinha purely because of the hype surrounding him in the training for it (not getting tapped at all etc.) but I'm glad for Cobrinha at the same time because he is incredible. Liked seeing Joao play his game and it seems that the no-gi berimbolo equivalent is that crab ride position that was broken down by GoGrapple. It was also cool to see him fight some of the best and prove that he is genuinely good and most people tend to agree that he deserved a bronze medal. Also I'm incredibly happy for Keenan to do so well in his first ADCC and ecstatic for Cyborg taking the gold.

I was disappointed with how lackluster Vinny was both in his division and in absolute which is a shame. Was also disappointed with Romulo stalling his way to victory against both Keenan and Lovato. Also sounded like Lister didn't come nearly as prepared as he should have been. On top of that, the ADCC really fucked up with it's organisation of both invites and arena. Poor decisions on their behalf.

Pretty much the same reaction. I was happy for all the winners and thought they deserved it, except for Stallulo.

What I've learned from ADCC:

Kron is a true BJJ warrior! Winning all submissions with the basics is just phenomenal.

Garry Tonon is a beast and will be great for years to watch.

Keenan had an impressive showing winning Double Bronze.

JT FINALLY BEATS LUCAS LEPRIS which indicates to me that the move to Atos is making him a much better practitioner

Agreed. It had to feel great to get the monkey off his back of finally beating a top 2-3 guy at his weight class.

DJ Jackson ain't s*

What I've learned from ADCC:

Kron is a true BJJ warrior! Winning all submissions with the basics is just phenomenal.

Garry Tonon is a beast and will be great for years to watch.

Keenan had an impressive showing winning Double Bronze.

JT FINALLY BEATS LUCAS LEPRIS which indicates to me that the move to Atos is making him a much better practitioner

DJ Jackson ain't s*

Maybe some 117 year old Tai Chi master from the demo came up to Cyborg before the Absolute and taught him the secret to harnessing his true internal power.

Absolutely stoked for Cobrinha. Sorry guys, I respect the Mendes bros and Rafa a lot, but I'm just so happy to see Cobrinha take one from Rafa at the biggest stage (yes in my opinion ADCC is the grand stage for submission grappling even though it is no-gi).

Maybe some 117 year old Tai Chi master from the demo came up to Cyborg before the Absolute and taught him the secret to harnessing his true internal power.

seagal_crop_650x440.jpg

Agreed. It had to feel great to get the monkey off his back of finally beating a top 2-3 guy at his weight class.

Yep, and you have to think the training at TLI has taken a backseat to the drama. Nyjah Easton didn't get anywhere either, even after having a great showing at Mundials

Not really sure where you're coming from on that, most are Brazilians who moved to the US at some point so they got all their training in America. And frankly, most of the champs didn't show terribly impressive wrestling. The American wrestling based fighters like DJ, AJ, and Rader did fine but didn't win anything.

As much as I would like that to be true, all the winners and all the finalists except Dean and Lovato were Brazilian. I think Americans are at the point where we're competing with the top Brazilians and in the near future I expect we'll take home some golds at top tournaments, but dominance? Slow down there. All the current top guys, even if they live in the US, learned and trained in Brazil usually coming to America as already accomplished competitors. We have a ways to go yet.

Buchecha, Romulo, AND Joao have been training wrestling with churchboyz wrestling in southern Cal for ADCC. Cobrinha has been training his wrestling with kings MMA for ADCC. There were a lot of Americans in the top 3. Most I've seen probably ever. Brazilians are stepping their game up with the wrestling IN AMERICA. Kron (though Brazilian) learned a majority of his game in the states. These top practitioners r staying and will continue to teach in AMERICA. dominance is approaching sooner than you think.

My opinion is ADCC needs a complete reorganization of the people running it, from top to bottom. They have no clue what they are doing.

so happy to see rafa lose. his talent is undeniable but he's so fukking boring when he competes. it's always a snooze fest with him

I don't understand what happened to Buchecha in the semi and also final of the Openweight, was he gassed as hell or?

Edit: Not taking anything away from Cyborg, he did an almost perfect match, amazingly done.

Buchecha, Romulo, AND Joao have been training wrestling with churchboyz wrestling in southern Cal for ADCC. Cobrinha has been training his wrestling with kings MMA for ADCC. There were a lot of Americans in the top 3. Most I've seen probably ever. Brazilians are stepping their game up with the wrestling IN AMERICA. Kron (though Brazilian) learned a majority of his game in the states. These top practitioners r staying and will continue to teach in AMERICA. dominance is approaching sooner than you think.

Good on them for training wrestling, but I didn't really see any of them using it. I saw a lot of guard sweeps and leg locks, very few TDs. I do agree that over time Americans will start getting on the podium more at the big tournaments, I think we're probably 10 or so years out from parity at the soonest though. There's just a much bigger base for the sport in Brazil, which becomes apparent when every year 1-2 guys you've never heard of (Leandro Lo is a good recent example) come out of nowhere from Brazil and start killing people at big tournaments.

And why do you keep capitalizing 'America'? If you're going to do that, you should just drop the 'A'. :)

so happy to see rafa lose. his talent is undeniable but he's so fukking boring when he competes. it's always a snooze fest with him

Have you ever watched any of his matches other than those with Cobrinha? Because he typically submits everybody else in fine fashion. This is the BJJ version of F2's 'GSP is boring, he never finishes anyone' crowd, who are blatantly ignoring the fact that they only see GSP fight the absolute best guys who are the hardest to finish in the world. Watch any Rafa match from before the finals and you'll see plenty of fireworks.

Having the ADCC in China, F'N STUPID:rolleyes: Great way to promote the sport. Packed house. Do they want this event to fail?

The super bowl in New York is a better idea then "ADCC China"

This was the perfect year for San Diego to host:icon_evil

Have you ever watched any of his matches other than those with Cobrinha? Because he typically submits everybody else in fine fashion. This is the BJJ version of F2's 'GSP is boring, he never finishes anyone' crowd, who are blatantly ignoring the fact that they only see GSP fight the absolute best guys who are the hardest to finish in the world. Watch any Rafa match from before the finals and you'll see plenty of fireworks.

Yeah Rafa is aggressive. He brought it against Miyao. Cobrinha just gets in his head.

It seems like Cyborg just caught the power. The PBP makes it sound like he was possessed by a demon.

The only video I can find so far is of their earlier match. I want to see the Absolute match so bad.

Cyborg vs Buchecha absolute final

Buchecha's conditioning has often looked suspect at times. His style is so aggressive that he burns a ton of energy if he doesn't get the sub early.

Wait, what? Rafa finishes the large majority of his opponents. At last year's Pan Ams he won every match by sub, including against Cobrinha.

He's fascinating even without a sub win. When he moves it's excellence personified, some of the cleanest technique you'll ever see in live execution.

For myself, Adcc 13 was great because we got to see a lot of match-ups and finishes. There were hardly any pauses from the refs.

For the anti-pullers, you got to see a lot of stand-up fighting, reaping, and heel-hooks. No advantages. Opposite to the Ibjjf.

Also, I believe ADCC is not for the spectator, it is a tournament for the competitor. They get to travel expenses paid, large cash rewards, and the prestige. They do not care for attendance or streaming or growing submission wrestling. They are not looking for profit. Its all for the competitor.

Back