ADCC 2013 aftermath discussion

For myself, Adcc 13 was great because we got to see a lot of match-ups and finishes. There were hardly any pauses from the refs.

For the anti-pullers, you got to see a lot of stand-up fighting, reaping, and heel-hooks. No advantages. Opposite to the Ibjjf.

Also, I believe ADCC is not for the spectator, it is a tournament for the competitor. They get to travel expenses paid, large cash rewards, and the prestige. They do not care for attendance or streaming or growing submission wrestling. They are not looking for profit. Its all for the competitor.

The whole part about expenses being paid for the competitor is not really true for most of them. One of the coaches who flew to China told me the only guys that got 100% all expenses paid for were the ones in the superfights. Other than that, what got covered varied, but it was not 100% for anyone else.

He was on fire this weekend, i was really suprised when i saw how well he did against Clark, Romulo and Dean. I think he might medal at the mundials aswell.

Edit: I was supposed to qoute, talking about keenan.

Caio Terra posted a weird question on his Facebook

Please give me your honest opinion: was the buchecha and cyborg real?

I think if they were faking they should be actors cause I personally couldn't tell. But I heard many people saying otherwise. If you watched, please let me know.

Btw congrats to every one who competed, going to China is super hard and I hope everyone had an amazing experience out there! OSS to these warriors!

He was on fire this weekend, i was really suprised when i saw how well he did against Clark, Romulo and Dean. I think he might medal at the mundials aswell.

Edit: I was supposed to qoute, talking about keenan.

Atos took him to the next level.

Don't sleep on JT either. He is also way better now. You will probably see him medal at the Mundials.

Has anyone at all suggested that the absolute final was worked? Or is Caio just stirring the pot?

Also, just watch the match. That's not a work.

I have huge respect for Caio, his technique and accomplishments, but I don't get why he says some of the things he says sometimes.

I don't understand what advantage they would gain from doing something like this.

Well Cyborg and Buchecha are friends and have trained together a lot. if you really wanted to be a conspiracy theorist, you might suggest that Buchecha let Cyborg win, since Cyborg is the senior competitor and has never won ADCC gold. Buchecha is a young guy with a lot of competition years ahead of him, Cyborg is in his 30s and has been competing for more than a decade.

To be fair, there have been matches in ADCC history where one guy lost to another guy out of deference to BJJ politics. Matt Serra has admitted that he threw the 2001 final against Feitosa at Renzo's request.

At ADCC 2000, Matt Hughes threw a match against his training partner Jeremy Horn so they could split the "fastest sub" bonus. But then Feitosa threw his match against Renzo even faster.

What I've learned from ADCC:

Kron is a true BJJ warrior! Winning all submissions with the basics is just phenomenal.

Garry Tonon is a beast and will be great for years to watch.

Keenan had an impressive showing winning Double Bronze.

JT FINALLY BEATS LUCAS LEPRIS which indicates to me that the move to Atos is making him a much better practitioner

DJ Jackson ain't s*

I can not picture a work at all with $40,000 on the line!

Well Cyborg and Buchecha are friends and have trained together a lot. if you really wanted to be a conspiracy theorist, you might suggest that Buchecha let Cyborg win, since Cyborg is the senior competitor and has never won ADCC gold. Buchecha is a young guy with a lot of competition years ahead of him, Cyborg is in his 30s and has been competing for more than a decade.

To be fair, there have been matches in ADCC history where one guy lost to another guy out of deference to BJJ politics. Matt Serra has admitted that he threw the 2001 final against Feitosa at Renzo's request.

At ADCC 2000, Matt Hughes threw a match against his training partner Jeremy Horn so they could split the "fastest sub" bonus. But then Feitosa threw his match against Renzo even faster.

well, if you are going to work a match, you better be REALLY careful. see matt serra.

buchecha was most likely just gassed. if they are both fresh i would take buchecha any day.

also,

Who is the best FW of 2013? Cobrinha?

Keenan got jobbed a bit against Romulo. Did he lose because he got a negative point? It was hard to tell, but to me he was clearly the more active and aggressive fighter. Still, it is somewhat questionable to me why he flops and tries to pull de la riva so often when his takedown and top game is good.

For myself, Adcc 13 was great because we got to see a lot of match-ups and finishes. There were hardly any pauses from the refs.

For the anti-pullers, you got to see a lot of stand-up fighting, reaping, and heel-hooks. No advantages. Opposite to the Ibjjf.

Also, I believe ADCC is not for the spectator, it is a tournament for the competitor. They get to travel expenses paid, large cash rewards, and the prestige. They do not care for attendance or streaming or growing submission wrestling. They are not looking for profit. Its all for the competitor.

The one thing I don't get about the ADCC rules is why they don't just make every match sub or decision. The whole no points until the end thing has a tendency to turn matches into 10 minutes of handfighting and sprawling. You could still do negative points, but there were a lot of matches where the better guy was dominating the match only to give up a late takedown and lose by points. The fact that the Keenan/Dean Lister match was somehow tied before the late back take was a bit ridiculous considering the way Keenan controlled the match previously.

Keenan got jobbed a bit against Romulo. Did he lose because he got a negative point? It was hard to tell, but to me he was clearly the more active and aggressive fighter. Still, it is somewhat questionable to me why he flops and tries to pull de la riva so often when his takedown and top game is good.

Didn't see it, but supposedly he could the minus point after pulling guard after attacking a takedown. The rules state if you attack a takedown for 3 seconds and then pull guard it is okay, and apparently Keenan did that. It is the same negative point awarded to Cobrinha at the 2011 final and he argued for the same reason.

I thought, for what it is, ADCC was a great event this year. From a technical point of view, easily one of the highest end tournaments of the year.

I love the rules for ADCC, it encourages finishes and there's still points, so there's often a winner. I also love the length of the fights, and the inclusion of a lot of the submissions and techniques that are prohibited in other tournaments.

Everyone looked on top of their game, with the exception of Vinny. Knowing how good he is, I suspect he may have had an injury that prevented him from training, or something similar.

It would have been better had they a bigger audience and was more accessible. On the other hand, its not about that, it's about the matches. It sounds like they're going to Brazil in 2015, so I bet that will do wonders for increasing the audience.

ADCC has come a long way since a decade ago, where they had fighters focused on one art, and a bunch of BJJ competitors. Judging from this year (and also the last one in 2011), even the competition has cross trained more, and have added a lot more to their own skill sets.

ADCC is a great counter to major IBJJF competition.

Rafa beat Cobrinha at this year's Pans, though
I gave the ref's decision to Cobrinha that match, but the official decision of course remained 2-1 to Rafa.

So I think Cobrinha's beaten Rafa twice this year, even if the official line is that it's 1-1. Cobrinha has usually had the harder bracket too, as evidenced by his loss to Tanquinho at Worlds, but that's a #1/champion's prerogative awarded to Rafa, so that's understandable.

Back