ADCC 2013 aftermath discussion

The patriotism is strong in this thread.

Nationalism osssss

Mike? Sorry, not trying to nitpick, I just have a weird thing with people getting names wrong.

Yeah, I mistyped. I actually get really annoyed by that as well. For example, there is no two time Mundial champ named Octavio Sousa. It's Otavio. It's not that hard, but people mess it up all the time. Octavio Sousa sounds like a fictional Portuguese opera singer.

So I checked, and no, in fact, he didn't. Americans who have won their division or absolute are:

-Jeff Monson
-Mark Kerr
-Ricco Rodriguez
-Dean Lister
-Robert Drysdale

Other than those guys, Einemo and someone named Kareem Barkalaev have won other than Brazilians. So yeah, the rumors of American dominance are highly exaggerated.

BJJ will end up like Judo. The Japanese were totally dominant for probably 20 years after Judo hit the international scene, and even now they're probably the strongest country but you don't expect them to automatically win. It'll be the same in BJJ, there will be more Brazilian champs than champs from other nations, but over time Americans and probably initially Japanese fighters will also start showing up on the podiums, sometimes winning gold. Though Judo grew a lot faster internationally than BJJ seems to be.

Maybe you guys have already covered it, but Kikuta and Mark Robinson won U88 and over 99, respectively, in 2001.

Did Popovitch vs Keenan actually happened?
I could not find video or comments about it, I heard somebody say that Popovitch was hurt, not sure if true.

I could not find video or comments about it, I heard somebody say that Popovitch was hurt, not sure if true.

Popovitch was hurt and forfeit their match for third.

JT Torres and Leo Vieira also did not happen for Bronze.

Maybe you guys have already covered it, but Kikuta and Mark Robinson won U88 and over 99, respectively, in 2001.

Yeah, I forgot about them. So there have been 5 Americans, and one champ each from Norway, Japan, Russian, and RSA. Still looking pretty Brazilian heavy to me.

Could somebody tell me why Cobrinha did not get 2 points at 37:01? Everyone was wondering why Cobrinha didn't go up 4-2.

The score became 2-2 at 14:35. Cobrinha takes Rafa down, and Rafa sweeps pretty much right away.

The reason Cobrinha did not get two points there is because the refereeing was poor.

Kron epitomizes what Gracie Jiu Jitsu is about... and he really seems to be hitting his stride. I expect him to take Marcelo's place as the #1 grappler out there..

I was shocked at how much better Keenan is, ATOS really seems to agree with him! His game has taken a couple of quantum leaps since he last competed.

Cyborg vs Buchecha a work? No way. Terra and Glover deserve each other as rivals, their both a couple of weirdos.

The reason Cobrinha did not get two points there is because the refereeing was poor.

ADCC rules are the back has to be flat on the mat to get takedown points. Rafa was always on his sides, good refereeing, poor rule

Back