ACIT -the revolutionary training method- is finally here

OpethDrums said:
sorry but all the people hating on bodybuilding are just trying to feel superior. there isn't a huge difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding.

You're kidding right?

anything is going to work for two weeks. ESPECIALLY if the individuals are new to lifting (which it doesn't mention or deny on that site). I appreciate the source, but it leads to many more questions. I don't understand the occlusion pressure part. how did they keep the pressure on and where? like a blood pressure cuff? what does that have to do with ACIT? how well trained were the individuals? these things matter... a lot. Nobody here is going to despute whether or not you can get results for a limited time with a shitty program, what's being debated is it's superiority over other methods. I know you can make gains as a neophyte lifter with 20% of your 1rm twice a day every day for two weeks... seems like I see people benching that way at my gym. I want to know how it compares to somebody lifting heavy.

Recent studies have shown that if you can pry your fat ass off your couch and do 2 pushups a day, that you'll be stronger than you were when you did 0 pushups a day. Now that's just inequivical universal laws of quantum physicsness.

OpethDrums said:
sorry but all the people hating on bodybuilding are just trying to feel superior. there isn't a huge difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding.

you can work on your weak point or your strong point. endurance, or raw power. it's all gonna add up to helping you do the work better than you did before.

Sorry, not everyone falls under your stated criteria.

My lack of respect for bodybuilding does not inherently require that I am making up for an inferiority complex.

That said, I do feel a sense of superiority to bodybuilders rooted in the fact that I

OpethDrums said:
I just couldn't possibly more strongly disagree with anything.

ENTROPY said:

My lack of respect for bodybuilding does not inherently require that I am making up for an inferiority complex.

That said, I do feel a sense of superiority to bodybuilders rooted in the fact that I

Urban said:
anything is going to work for two weeks. ESPECIALLY if the individuals are new to lifting (which it doesn't mention or deny on that site). I appreciate the source, but it leads to many more questions. I don't understand the occlusion pressure part. how did they keep the pressure on and where? like a blood pressure cuff? what does that have to do with ACIT? how well trained were the individuals? these things matter... a lot. Nobody here is going to despute whether or not you can get results for a limited time with a shitty program, what's being debated is it's superiority over other methods. I know you can make gains as a neophyte lifter with 20% of your 1rm twice a day every day for two weeks... seems like I see people benching that way at my gym. I want to know how it compares to somebody lifting heavy.

You can read about the basics of occlusion training here:

http://kaatsu.jp/pdf/0101/01Sato.pdf

That, plus the ACIT site should clarify most of the questions you are asking above. As far as superiority: The study with 20% of 1RM compared occlusion directly to a more conventional lifting method where much heavier weights were used and occlusion came out ahead. Still, I am not going to tell you that occlusion is superior to everything. There is no one method that is superior to every method out there. If super-heavy weights work for you, you can do 1-2 RM kind of weights and train with singles and doubles, some people do that. If that is too heavy on your joints and burns you out, you can use 8-12 reps per set. If forced reps are working for you ,fine... As I am sure you know, Fedor trains by hitting truck tires with a sledge hammer while Captain America does weights and more bodyweight-type exercises. Other MMA champs do many other different things. Not everything will work for everyone.

Even the best scientific studies cannot agree on what is absolute best. Some show one set per muscle to be superior, some show multiple sets to be better. Some show a huge amount of growth from Isometrics, some do not...

We did not develop ACIT to replace all other resistance training methods. We developed it as an alternative for athletes who like working their muscles with long and extended sets (forced reps, drop sets etc) but risk overtraining while doing so. If this applies to you, the site and the link above will give ample information to get you started. I would also be happy to answer rational and respectfull questions (comment not aimed at you specifically). As the site says, you don't have to throw away your current program and use ACIT exclusively. If there is a joint that cannot take a huge amout of weight right now or a stubborn muscle that won't respond, you can give ACIT a try, share your experiences with us and help to refine the method even further.

Thanks for your time

Hey, omoplata.

I just have one quick question for you. Do you have any studies that show that the amount of inroad you put a certain muscle to, is proportional to the amount of muscle growth that muscle will go through?

Just one.

Because that's why your theory is about right? Generating the most inroad in the less time possible. Why should I want to anyway? Don't tell me about overtraining because I sure you won't overtrain on that. What I'm sure about is that you won't grow.

Noskill said:
Hey, omoplata.

I just have one quick question for you. Do you have any studies that show that the amount of inroad you put a certain muscle to, is proportional to the amount of muscle growth that muscle will go through?

Just one.

Because that's why your theory is about right? Generating the most inroad in the less time possible. Why should I want to anyway? Don't tell me about overtraining because I sure you won't overtrain on that. What I'm sure about is that you won't grow.

At this very moment I do not but I will try to post one as time and circumstances permit (don't have my usual laptop this moment).
However, I am surprised that you should ask this because whether we have studies or not, this is precisely what people attempt to do in gyms all around the world. When a professional or even an amateur lifter/bodybuilder does barbell curls with 80 lbs, and he can no longer curl up the 80, he usually does not stop. He either gets some help from his partner to do a couple more reps or immediately moves to a lighter weight. So people try to weaken or in other words inroad their muscles to a great extent.... When you see someone do forced reps or drop sets, what is your interpretation? Why do you think people do them? if the purpose was to increase TUL, there is a much much easier and less taxing way of doing so: simply rest for a minute or two and perform a second set, wouldn't you agree?

"Don't tell me about overtraining because I sure you won't overtrain on that. What I'm sure about is that you won't grow" ==? Sorry, I didn'y understand this. " I sure you won't overtrain on that", on what?

Omoplata

ENTROPY said:

ENTROPY said:

PariahCarey said:
i'm waiting for the before and after photos next...

I volunteer to be the before model. Who wants to be the "improved" me????

batman69 said:
while i agree with the last three, what exactly is wrong with shaving the ass area? there's nothing wrong with a nice smooth ass, although it is a gateway drug to the g string deal so discipline must bbe maintained when engaging in this activity.

Sarcasm detected

deadpool said:
...am just starting to learn a bit about lifting!

This is a good place to start weeding out the crap from the truth...

Keep at it!

FCFighter316 said:
Before After
hindupushups2.jpg
ivan2.jpg

whoops wrong thread :p

Hey, that's me on the right?

We are adding studies as we can gather and organize them. More will be added soon

Omoplata

A study where the approach was very similar to ACIT....

Tanimoto M, Ishii N.

Department of Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
We investigated the acute and long-term effects of low-intensity resistance exercise (knee extension) with slow movement and tonic force generation on muscular size and strength. This type of exercise was expected to enhance the intramuscular hypoxic environment that might be a factor for muscular hypertrophy. Twenty-four healthy young males without experience of regular exercise training were assigned into three groups (n = 8 for each) and performed the following resistance exercise regimens: low-intensity [~50% of one repetition maximum (1RM)] with slow movement and tonic force generation (3 s for eccentric and concentric actions, 1-s pause, and no relaxing phase; LST); high-intensity (~80% 1RM) with normal speed (1 s for concentric and eccentric actions, 1 s for relaxing; HN); low-intensity with normal speed (same intensity as for LST and same speed as for HN; LN). In LST and HN, the mean repetition maximum was 8RM. In LN, both intensity and amount of work were matched with those for LST. Each exercise session consisting of three sets was performed three times a week for 12 weeks. In LST and HN, exercise training caused significant (P < 0.05) increases in cross-sectional area determined with MRI and isometric strength (MVC) of the knee extensors, whereas no significant changes were seen in LN. Electromyographic and near-infrared spectroscopic analyses showed that one bout of LST causes sustained muscular activity and the largest muscle deoxygenation among the three types of exercise. The results suggest that intramuscular oxygen environment is important for exercise-induced muscular hypertrophy.

Reading about this Acit (who came up with tha freaking name?) makes me think of this little part of todays article by Alwyn Cosgrove over at t-nation: "9) PROGRAMS THAT VIOLATE BASIC TRAINING PRINCIPLES

You can't forget that maximal voluntary contractions are necessary to improve. Overload. If you don't overload the muscles, nothing happens. No matter how cool, big, clever, cutting edge, or exciting it sounds."

But perhaps I didnt take the time to read through what Acit -really- is. That would be because I really dont like this kind of training.

Great, I can't read this all at work! I have to print it out now and read it at home, dang it!

Noskill said:
Hey, omoplata.

Just one.

Here you go:

Training leading to repetition failure enhances bench press strength gains in elite junior athletes.

Drinkwater EJ, Lawton TW, Lindsell RP, Pyne DB, Hunt PH, McKenna MJ.

Department of Physiology, Australian Institute of Sport, Canberra, ACT, Australia. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to investigate the importance of training leading to repetition failure in the performance of 2 different tests: 6 repetition maximum (6RM) bench press strength and 40-kg bench throw power in elite junior athletes. Subjects were 26 elite junior male basketball players (n = 12; age = 18.6 +/- 0.3 years; height = 202.0 +/- 11.6 cm; mass = 97.0 +/- 12.9 kg; mean +/- SD) and soccer players (n = 14; age = 17.4 +/- 0.5 years; height = 179.0 +/- 7.0 cm; mass = 75.0 +/- 7.1 kg) with a history of greater than 6 months' strength training. Subjects were initially tested twice for 6RM bench press mass and 40-kg Smith machine bench throw power output (in watts) to establish retest reliability. Subjects then undertook bench press training with 3 sessions per week for 6 weeks, using equal volume programs (24 repetitions x 80-105% 6RM in 13 minutes 20 seconds). Subjects were assigned to one of two experimental groups designed either to elicit repetition failure with 4 sets of 6 repetitions every 260 seconds (RF(4 x 6)) or allow all repetitions to be completed with 8 sets of 3 repetitions every 113 seconds (NF(8 x 3)). The RF(4 x 6) treatment elicited substantial increases in strength (7.3 +/- 2.4 kg, +9.5%, p < 0.001) and power (40.8 +/- 24.1 W, +10.6%, p < 0.001), while the NF(8 x 3) group elicited 3.6 +/- 3.0 kg (+5.0%, p < 0.005) and 25 +/- 19.0 W increases (+6.8%, p < 0.001). The improvements in the RF(4 x 6) group were greater than those in the repetition rest group for both strength (p < 0.005) and power (p < 0.05). Bench press training that leads to repetition failure induces greater strength gains than nonfailure training in the bench press exercise for elite junior team sport athletes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back