Accessory lifts

I said I train like an athlete (strength, mobility, endurance, speed, etc), and so should everyone else not competing in a specific sport. Why are you training as if you competed in powerlifting? That is as dumb as someone training to be a hockey player, but not playing hockey. If you wanna squat and it works for your build, go ahead, but why stick to the S/B/D because that's what powerlifters do? What about Power Cleans? Hill Sprints? Swimming? Rope Jumping? Sleds? Slams? Unilateral work? Rings? I've trained with a lot of ''powerlifters'' IRL and they honestly all look and perform like shit outside of the big 3, hence why I think they should broaden their horizon.

It's ok to be weak, we don't care.

It's ok to be weak, we don't care.
What is this shit from powerlifting dudes?
It is okay to be weak... like really?
My weakling ass is still going to kick your ass without breaking a sweat.
My weakling ass is going to out perform you in any sport without troubles?
Have you considered that as an option before insulting people for not having the goal to bench, dl, squat heavy weights.

We are here to discuss strength, conditioning even performance at different sports, not insult each other.

Have you considered that as an option before insulting people for not having the goal to bench, dl, squat heavy weights.

We are here to discuss strength, conditioning even performance at different sports, not insult each other.
lol

Strength is never a weakness. I destroy higher jiu jitsu belts because I can lift double what they do. Granted you have to practice the art as well. If I was untrained I’d probably get destroyed.

Strength is never a weakness. I destroy higher jiu jitsu belts because I can lift double what they do. Granted you have to practice the art as well. If I was untrained I’d probably get destroyed.
It is never a weakeness. I was trying to make him reconsider insulting people. If you are strong, you should try to inspire the other with it, not put them down.
Got edgy, because he was an asshole.

its always better to be stronger but there is diminishing returns. granted there is diminishing returns on technique work as well in other sports for the most part

you dont have to be strong to be good at martial arts fwii but it takes a hell of a long time to develop the efficiency to be able to overcome much stronger people but yes it is possible to not do any lifting at all and be a good martial artist

most people never reach the point of diminishing returns and the physical cost of lifting heavier and heavier weights is worth it until it eventually isnt which is usually longer than most people realize

You obviously haven't seen his previous posts.

I also love the assumptions that are made because someone is a 'powerlifting dude'. All powerliffters are fat guys that can't fight, let alone wipe their own ass.

Lol you nailed it. I faired decent on strength alone, I purposely tried to not use it but it was nice knowing I had it..

There's no doubt, being strong in general makes you harder to kill.

It is never a weakeness. I was trying to make him reconsider insulting people. If you are strong, you should try to inspire the other with it, not put them down.
Got edgy, because he was an asshole.

how is your new routine? doing the thibeaudeau thing?

how is your new routine? doing the thibeaudeau thing?
No, not really. Being using his accessory progression in a new one. Using some Paul Carter stuff for the main lifts. I have posted it in the weight loss topic. Found out it gives me excellent results according to my goals. I have been playing around with it for a 2 months now. And when I checked the results they were absolutely fantastic. So gonna stick to it. I think I found out I have too much cortisol, thus the stored fat. Now doing way less volume and working at lesser intensities.

You obviously haven't seen his previous posts.

I also love the assumptions that are made because someone is a 'powerlifting dude'. All powerliffters are fat guys that can't fight, let alone wipe their own ass.
I apologise if I sounded like an ass.

Good question. I am not really sure.

I've been lifting for 15+ years now and I mainly do accessory lifts to improve weak muscle areas for purely visual aesthetics. As far as strength goes by doing isolates;the amount I've gained since day 1 until 15 years+ later is pretty laughable in my opinion. However I've seen plenty of power lifters like Larry wheels do them so surely they can't be useless, right? R r r r right?

I can tell you there are times where I've been stuck in a plateau and that's where I feel like accessory work will help the most. Maybe it's in my head maybe it isn't but I tend to think it helps.

My advice is to continue to do what you like to do. If you can progress without accessory stuff then more power to you. The key here is adaption. Progression isn't always linear as we all would like it to be so we have to find ways to progress, such as changing up your routine.

Last edited:
This place got lit over the weekend. @Ilk what's your combat or combat sports background?

This place got lit over the weekend. @Ilk what's your combat or combat sports background?
Boxing with some kick boxing. But I am a hobbyist. Did amateur soccer as a main sport. Why?

Back