Accessory lifts

I have seen more new lifters (new to WL) struggle more with cleans and front squats than with power cleans, especially ones that are older and/or have mobility issues. Plenty of big strong guys can jack up a ton of weight and catch it in the power or tall position, but they are not able to get to the hole and up with the same weight. At one of my last WL meets I was taking with a monster competitive freestyle wrestler just doing a WL meet for the hell of it. The guy performed all of his lifts as the power versions and he cited that he couldn't go heavier with the full versions. I specifically cited a competition bench vs. a power clean, as Bolid mentioned, because I think that the 5 competition lifts all have little room for error when performed on the platform to maximum effort and have more technical demands compared the variations of the lifts like power cleans/snatches and push press. If we are talking about a run of the mill, flat back, loose footed, close grip bench vs. a power clean I would say the power clean is much more difficult to learn.

Not sure what drugs you two are taking but powerlifting has never been bigger ever in it's history and that's all due to social media. lol at thinking it's dying at it's current height.

This is why this has got to be the worst strength forum on the internet.

It's hard to come off as credible when you can't differentiate ''its'' and ''it's''. Literally makes it hard to understand what you're saying.

@Bodil I think you are absolutely right about powerlifting being a dead sport, weightlifting is too for that matter. The feds are dying off one by one losing members to the lucrative weighted pull-up leagues. I honestly cannot go one weekend without being bombarded by live streams of the various pull-up contests. Data shows that powerlifting will be replaced completely by weighted pull-up contests by 2022 and in 2028 they will add AMRAP strict pull-ups as second "weightlifting" event in the Olympics.

Unless you are a total narp, learning to power clean is easy compared to learning to bench competitively. The power clean is a training tool, not a competition lift. If you were to say clean I would agree with you.

I would like to edit this in: If you are training/learning power cleans on a piece of shit bar, it does make things more difficult.

Great sarcasm. You have me on the edge.

The point is, powerlifting, weightlifting, etc. is a mean to an end for athletes who want to get better at their sport. I just find it amusing that some people treat that as an actual sport.

Does this explain why you omitted squats from your attempt at making a routine?

I've squatted in the mid 400s and I honestly don't care for them anymore. For my build at least, the risk:reward ration just isn't worth it. If you're competing, sure, do them. If not, there are tons of better alternatives.

Yeah lower back is fine. I'm not lifting any crazy amount as not that strong but just some days the knees are sore the next day or 2 after squats. That's why I want to find an alternative. Lunges, split squats, leg press...
i really like walking lunges with barbell or dumbbells if you got the space. step ups with weight are also a good variation.

It's hard to come off as credible when you can't differentiate ''its'' and ''it's''. Literally makes it hard to understand what you're saying.
Really? Do you have some sort of cognitive disability?
I've squatted in the mid 400s and I honestly don't care for them anymore. For my build at least, the risk:reward ration just isn't worth it. If you're competing, sure, do them. If not, there are tons of better alternatives.
It's hard to come off as credible when you can't differentiate ''ratio'' and ''ration''. Literally makes it hard to understand what you're saying.

The point is, powerlifting, weightlifting, etc. is a mean to an end for athletes who want to get better at their sport. I just find it amusing that some people treat that as an actual sport.

Which athletes compete in powerlifting and weightlifting in preparation for their sports? They should rethink their training for sure. Lol, why does it amuse you when people find ways to demonstrate their strength, power and or speed in formal competitions? Aren't you the guy that talked about weighted pullups? There are no leagues or federations that have formal participation in such a thing, what does that make you?

Really? Do you have some sort of cognitive disability?

It's hard to come off as credible when you can't differentiate ''ratio'' and ''ration''. Literally makes it hard to understand what you're saying.

Except one is a typo and the other shows your lack of education. Don't be mad you have the English level of a third grader.

My point is that is weakens any argument you try to make because it shows you have lower than average intellect.

I always hear this argument, but the irony is that it comes from people that aren't really playing sports competitively either. Realistically, if you aren't in college athletics or a pro, you are just dicking around with sports as a hobby. Similar to most people participating in powerlifting or oly lifting. I'd like to know what these weighted pullups are really preparing you for. Let me guess: you "train martial arts".

I always hear this argument, but the irony is that it comes from people that aren't really playing sports competitively either. Realistically, if you aren't in college athletics or a pro, you are just dicking around with sports as a hobby. Similar to most people participating in powerlifting or oly lifting. I'd like to know what these weighted pullups are really preparing you for. Let me guess: you "train martial arts".

<{jackyeah}>

I only train fun. With the line of work I'm in, and the money I make, I really don't need to get punched in the head for a living.

Get fucked!
I cycle and swim for cardio. Fuckin morons going to the Olympics and shit, amirite?

I only train fun. With the line of work I'm in, and the money I make, I really don't need to get punched in the head for a living.

Which is exactly the point. Most people powerlifting or weightlifting are just doing it for fun. You try to take a stance that you are doing something as an "athlete", but you really aren't. You are just dicking off like everyone else.

Which is exactly the point. Most people powerlifting or weightlifting are just doing it for fun. You try to take a stance that you are doing something as an "athlete", but you really aren't. You are just dicking off like everyone else.

You golf. Picture spending a lot of time on the range, on the greens and in the simulator(s), without the hassle of playing a round and posting a score. Then start ripping the guys that go out there and keep an honest GHIN score, seems pretty awesome to me!

You golf. Picture spending a lot of time on the range, on the greens and in the simulator(s), without the hassle of playing a round and posting a score. Then start ripping the guys that go out there and keep an honest GHIN score, seems pretty awesome to me!

You know the funny thing with golf? I can only get out once a weekend if I'm lucky, and I have no time for the range. I'm on the practice green for maybe 10 minutes before playing. It's funny because odd critiques hit every sport. I play with guys similar to me, and they actually rip on the guys who hit the range and practice. "Well, it's not like we are playing competitively, so why be so serious"? Maybe they like to get better? It's like people always have critiques of things they don't do and act like what they are (or aren't) doing is better.

I said I train like an athlete (strength, mobility, endurance, speed, etc), and so should everyone else not competing in a specific sport. Why are you training as if you competed in powerlifting? That is as dumb as someone training to be a hockey player, but not playing hockey. If you wanna squat and it works for your build, go ahead, but why stick to the S/B/D because that's what powerlifters do? What about Power Cleans? Hill Sprints? Swimming? Rope Jumping? Sleds? Slams? Unilateral work? Rings? I've trained with a lot of ''powerlifters'' IRL and they honestly all look and perform like shit outside of the big 3, hence why I think they should broaden their horizon.

I said I train like an athlete (strength, mobility, endurance, speed, etc), and so should everyone else not competing in a specific sport. Why are you training as if you competed in powerlifting? That is as dumb as someone training to be a hockey player, but not playing hockey. If you wanna squat and it works for your build, go ahead, but why stick to the S/B/D because that's what powerlifters do? What about Power Cleans? Hill Sprints? Swimming? Rope Jumping? Sleds? Slams? Unilateral work? Rings? I've trained with a lot of ''powerlifters'' IRL and they honestly all look and perform like shit outside of the big 3, hence why I think they should broaden their horizon.

Yet you "train like an athlete", but you aren't an athlete.

Back