News Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov: Khabib vs Ferg, Kevin Lee vs Islam, Conor vs Islam for rematch in 2021

Poirier is more dangerous than Ferguson? This guy just lost all of his credibility.

He'll find out otherwise in a few months, don't worry.

Styles make fights. I dont think he means Conor is a better fighter than Tony.

Hes said many times including this interview that Tony vs Khabib is the most interesting fight ever, two guys on 12 fight win streaks etc.

Stylistically I think he feels Khabib can protect against Tony's sub game easier than the risk of catching an early power shot from Conor.

Styles make fights. I dont think he means Conor is a better fighter than Tony.

Hes said many times including this interview that Tony vs Khabib is the most interesting fight ever, two guys on 12 fight win streaks etc.

Stylistically I think he feels Khabib can protect against Tony's sub game easier than the risk of catching an early power shot from Conor.

I get that. And it's not like I can claim to know Khabib's strengths and weaknesses better than his father obviously. That said, I think the threat of Conor landing flush and hurting Khabib to the point where he could finish was INSANELY exaggerated. He landed how many flush shots on Nate in their two fights? Did he finish him, or even get all that close? Khabib has a hell of a chin from what I've seen too. And while I think Conor has decent power at LW, it's not that "lights out" power he had when facing 145'ers.

I honestly don't see Tony catching a sub off his back at all. Even as a Tony fan and a guy who thinks his guard can be tricky, that's a long shot. Khabib is just too fundamentally sound with his top control. If Tony catches a sub it will likely be late, and after the fight has turned into a battle of attrition. Possibly a sloppy shot (like in rd 4 vs Al) where Tony catches his neck.

I think Abdulmanap **might** be underrating the cardio and will of Tony, and the amount of damage Tony inflicts just with his long jab. I say "might" because I could be wrong. I think he's seen Khabib always outlast and outwork everyone, even in training. But now he's fighting a guy that maybe he can't outwork or outlast. A guy that won't go away even if he's the nail for a couple rounds.

I love how Abdulmanap always predicts things within specific number of minutes, and his track record has been quite accurate!

After round 2 of Islam vs Ramos he goes "keep it up Islam and you'll drop him within 2 minutes of round 3..." and BAM! Ramos falls within the first minute lol.

Its not like he was battered by round 2 so it wasnt an obvious prediction by any means.

The interviewer mentions his prediction about Poirier, that he won't survive until 4th round. Yes the predictions are solid.

Always surprised how much Abdulmanep knows about other fighters he's pretty much got everyone down. Everything he said was pretty much true.

Also interesting that he's suggesting having Islam vs Fighter Kevin Lee on the same card as Khabib and Tony.

I thought they'd want it separate so if Islam loses or gets hurt it wont affect Khabibs mindset before the main event....just shows how confident they are in Islams skills to get the win!

They have been waiting to get a top-10 guy for Islam for so long, I think they'll jump on any opportunity .

I think Abdulmanap **might** be underrating the cardio and will of Tony, and the amount of damage Tony inflicts just with his long jab. I say "might" because I could be wrong. I think he's seen Khabib always outlast and outwork everyone, even in training. But now he's fighting a guy that maybe he can't outwork or outlast. A guy that won't go away even if he's the nail for a couple rounds.

He mentions those things you talk about as his main strengths. He is underrating his standup and his chin if anything.

He mentions those things you talk about as his main strengths. He is underrating his standup and his chin if anything.

Yeah he does mention Tony's will, heart, cardio. True.

I think maybe yeah if anything gets underrated (not just by Abdulmanap but by pretty much everyone) about Tony it's the insane amount of damage he inflicts with just normal strikes that aren't thought about that much. Mainly his jab. About 5 years ago he figured out how to use his reach and throw a really hard jab that busts people up when it lands. He has crazy reach for the division, so he can land it pretty often.

That's why I think the talk of Khabib standing with Tony for long stretches is BS. People talk about Khabib's improved standup (and it is, to be fair) but don't realize that Tony can bust him up with just that jab from a distance that Khabib can't hit Tony at. Conor being a counterstriker meant that Khabib could bide his time in the standup and only commit when he saw an opening. No such luxury with Tony, who sticks that long jab in your face nonstop and then follows it with any variety of strikes (straight punches, elbows, sometimes even straight knees up the middle). The flipside of all that forward pressure (which we saw vs Lee) is that he's just not hard to take down despite being an underrated wrestler overall.

I think Khabib's camp likely will elect not to stand long at all with Tony honestly. If they do, it's a big mistake imo.

I don't get the impression that Conor vs Cerrone is a big fight, maybe once upon a time.. but now.. not really.. It's like Conor facing Edgar, doesn't seem to have that IT factor to it anymore.

Probably cause their older and their chins aren't as great as many other competitors at LW

Does Bravo actually coach Tony though? I know he always talks about like he is his BJJ mastermind coach, but that guy is so full of shit and so high on weed most of the time that I have a hard time taking him seriously.
Haha, Eddie Bravo is a weirdo but he is a legit BJJ guy at the highest level. He’s done a lot of innovative stuff on new guard techniques, particularly focusing on NOGI.

Dude you're the best. Thanks as always.

It's interesting to see Abdulmanap only consider people with huge power as dangerous. His faith in Khabib's submission defense is certainly comforting.

It would be wild if Khabib finished Tony early in the fight. I think it goes the distance but that would be wild.

I think maybe yeah if anything gets underrated (not just by Abdulmanap but by pretty much everyone) about Tony it's the insane amount of damage he inflicts with just normal strikes that aren't thought about that much. Mainly his jab. About 5 years ago he figured out how to use his reach and throw a really hard jab that busts people up when it lands. He has crazy reach for the division, so he can land it pretty often.

That's why I think the talk of Khabib standing with Tony for long stretches is BS. People talk about Khabib's improved standup (and it is, to be fair) but don't realize that Tony can bust him up with just that jab from a distance that Khabib can't hit Tony at. Conor being a counterstriker meant that Khabib could bide his time in the standup and only commit when he saw an opening. No such luxury with Tony, who sticks that long jab in your face nonstop and then follows it with any variety of strikes (straight punches, elbows, sometimes even straight knees up the middle). The flipside of all that forward pressure (which we saw vs Lee) is that he's just not hard to take down despite being an underrated wrestler overall.

I think Khabib's camp likely will elect not to stand long at all with Tony honestly. If they do, it's a big mistake imo.
The reason I’m picking Khabib is because of his tremendous cage IQ. All this talk about standing with Tony is bullshit, Tony is more dangerous in the pocket than Conor or even Poirier. Conor needs a specific range to be effective, Poirier’s striking is too traditional. Tony’s unpredictability in the pocket is what’s dangerous. I suspect Khabib’s plan will be to frustrate Tony by staying out of his range then level change as he’s coming in. This means that Khabib will probably not have Tony against the cage, but once it’s on the ground he has the weapons to drown Tony. Where I think Tony is being overrated is in his ability to resist Khabib’s top control. I highly doubt he’ll have answers, khabib will be able to put Tony at angles where he can’t effectively use his elbows and he’ll nullify sub attempts. Khabibs grappling game is just that far ahead of everyone else’s IMO.

Last edited:
Haha, Eddie Bravo is a weirdo but he is a legit BJJ guy at the highest level. He’s done a lot of innovative stuff on new guard techniques, particularly focusing on NOGI.

I know he got this school 100500 planet jui jitsu, does he have any other students who are successful in MMA? Because I still have my doubts..

I searched for video evidence from Tonys camps footage and I can't actually see Eddie in any of the videos. Can Eddie simply be so delusional from all the weed that he believes that Tony is his student?

P34xJKD.gif

The reason I’m picking Khabib is because of his tremendous cage IQ. All this talk about standing with Tony is bullshit, Tony is more dangerous in the pocket than Conor or even Poirier. Conor needs a specific range to be effective, Poirier’s striking is too traditional. Tony’s unpredictability in the pocket is what’s dangerous. I suspect Khabib’s plan will be to frustrate Tony by staying out of his range then level change as he’s coming in. This means that Khabib will probably not have Tony against the cage, but once it’s on the ground he has the weapons to drown Tony. Where I think Tony is being overrated is in his ability to resist Khabib’s top control. I highly doubt he’ll have answers, khabib will be able to put him at angles where he can’t effectively use is elbows and nullify sub attempts. Khabibs grappling game is just that far ahead of everyone else’s IMO.

You make good points. They may try to rush him early and drop him, but as soon as Khabib eats a good counter from Tony he'll abandon that idea.

Yes Tonys reach is insane. He's got the longest reach in the division. I remember seeing a graphic about LW and WW physical attributes, Ferguson was #2 on the list. I don't remember who came first.

I know he got this school 100500 planet jui jitsu, does he have any other students who are successful in MMA? Because I still have my doubts..

I searched for video evidence from Tonys camps footage and I can't actually see Eddie in any of the videos. Can Eddie simply be so delusional from all the weed that he believes that Tony is his student?

P34xJKD.gif

He’s been cornering Tony for the last 8 ufc fights or so, I think that probably proves that he’s training him. Don’t know if he has any other top students. BJJ is a bit overrated for mma anyway. Wrestling more effective for mma.

The reason I’m picking Khabib is because of his tremendous cage IQ. All this talk about standing with Tony is bullshit, Tony is more dangerous in the pocket than Conor or even Poirier. Conor needs a specific range to be effective, Poirier’s striking is too traditional. Tony’s unpredictability in the pocket is what’s dangerous. I suspect Khabib’s plan will be to frustrate Tony by staying out of his range then level change as he’s coming in. This means that Khabib will probably not have Tony against the cage, but once it’s on the ground he has the weapons to drown Tony. Where I think Tony is being overrated is in his ability to resist Khabib’s top control. I highly doubt he’ll have answers, khabib will be able to put him at angles where he can’t effectively use is elbows and nullify sub attempts. Khabibs grappling game is just that far ahead of everyone else’s IMO.

I think that's really good analysis. Generally I tend to agree. In the end I think the key is going to be how hard Tony is able to make Khabib work and what both guys look like and have in the tank heading into the championship rounds. Khabib was 100% the nail for 3 rds vs Iaquinta and yet still couldn't secure any of his TD attempts in rd 4. Not because he wanted to stand (he still dove at Al's legs) but because he was tired. Which isn't to say he has bad cardio at all, it's just that his style uses a ridiculous amount of energy.

I think Tony can possibly survive early and still have more in the tank as the fight wears on. Not a sure thing by any stretch, and to play devil's advocate against myself there's 2 counters to that. First, Tony's unpredictability leads to him sometimes taking too many chances which can lead to him being in bad spots. If he does that on the mat, Khabib will capitalize and possibly finish. Second, Khabib's cardio looked much better vs Dustin in that crazy heat. So just "outlasting" him might be a taller task than previously thought.

Yes Tonys reach is insane. He's got the longest reach in the division. I remember seeing a graphic about LW and WW physical attributes, Ferguson was #2 on the list. I don't remember who came first.

*second longest reach in the division-Lee has half an inch longer reach

That said, Tony actually now knows how to USE his, while Lee really hasn't shown that yet.

I think that's really good analysis. Generally I tend to agree. In the end I think the key is going to be how hard Tony is able to make Khabib work and what both guys look like and have in the tank heading into the championship rounds. Khabib was 100% the nail for 3 rds vs Iaquinta and yet still couldn't secure any of his TD attempts in rd 4. Not because he wanted to stand (he still dove at Al's legs) but because he was tired. Which isn't to say he has bad cardio at all, it's just that his style uses a ridiculous amount of energy.

I think Tony can possibly survive early and still have more in the tank as the fight wears on. Not a sure thing by any stretch, and to play devil's advocate against myself there's 2 counters to that. First, Tony's unpredictability leads to him sometimes taking too many chances which can lead to him being in bad spots. If he does that on the mat, Khabib will capitalize and possibly finish. Second, Khabib's cardio looked much better vs Dustin in that crazy heat. So just "outlasting" him might be a taller task than previously thought.
Agreed. I tend to put less emphasis on the Iaquinta performance because of the circumstances surrounding the fight. It was Khabib’s first title fight, 3 opponent changes, Conor bus incident, Artem incident. It was an emotional roller coaster type week, I think he was just anxious to get it over with. That performance seems to be an outlier. Everyone has an off day at the office.

One big risk is that if Khabib gives Tony *too* much respect. For 4 months he’ll be hearing how this is his most dangerous fight, hard for that not to seep into his thinking. If he fights more tentative than usual that could backfire. There’s surely less pressure on Tony.

Back