News Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov: Khabib vs Ferg, Kevin Lee vs Islam, Conor vs Islam for rematch in 2021

shoorik1987

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov gave a big interview to the biggest Russian sports newspaper Sport-Express. Interview is a sort of end of the year summary + expectations for next year. A lot of news, insights and interesting information from Abdulmanap. As always I only translate the stuff that I think are the most interesting.

WARNING: A LOT OF TEXT

Khabib vs Ferguson

Q: Khabib has been preparing 4 times for the fight against Tony Ferguson. Is there anything more you need to learn about him ahead of this fight?

A: There is always room for improvement. But I think it will be 90% the same preparation. Tony is no rookie, Khabib is also coming to an end of his career. Both fighters are in their prime, both got 12 fight win streaks. Fighters with such records have never fought before this is the biggest fight in UFC history..

Q: What are the best aspects of Fergusons game?

A: His endurance, his jab, his chokes. His elbows and ability to open cuts. Ferguson goes all out and fights until the end.

Q: Is he the most serious opponent Khabib has ever faced?

A: When it comes to endurance, yes. But all in all, Khabib has faced 3 far more dangerous opponents.

Q: Name them

A: Conor, Johnson and Poirier

Q: Johnson?

A: He was the most dangerous of the three in the first round. He has the quickest hands.

Q: In that regard, should Justin Gaethje be considered a more dangerous opponent for Khabib compared to Ferguson?

A: I don't think so. In a potential fight with Gaethje, in a matter of 12-13 minutes it will be clear who'll win the fight. With Ferguson we might have to go 25 minutes to determine that.

Q: Tonys knees and elbows cut like razors. How will you handle that?

A: Khabib is as dangerous to Ferguson on the feet as Ferguson is to him. Tony will fall first if they trade punches.

Q: Tony is not getting any younger, he's 36 already. That's quite an age for a fighter at LW.

A: He's not the kind of fighter that starts to get extra pounds with age. He has a lanky body with good conditioning, he's keeping himself in shape. He is quick and strong. But that will last 7-8 minutes. After that period it becomes about endurance, precision and tactics. We've faced more serious opponents.

Q: Ahead of Poirier fight you made a prediction that Porier won't make it to the 4th round.

A: Yes, and I was right.

Q: How many round will Tony last?

A: I'll say like this, this fight can either end within 1-1,5 rounds or it might go the distance. I will not reveal our plans, but we'll try to finish the fight within 6-7 minutes.

Islam Makhachev vs Kevin Lee and McGregor

Q: What can you say about Islam Makhachev vs Kevin Lee

A: I hope this fight will be booked for 18th of April. Both guys want it. I see Islam as Khabib's successor at LW throne, I await it. I will be happy if Khabib retires undefeated and Islam takes his place.

Q: Did Kevin Lee surprise you in his fight vs Gillespie?

A: I think it was a lucky finish for Lee.

Q: So pure luck?

A: yes, that's what I mean by lucky finish. During the fight he wasn't dominating the fight in any way. I think Islam has a better stand up than him, he also has better wrestling and grappling.

Q: Javier Mendez thinks that Makhachev would be a favourite in a potential fight against McGregor.

A: I think so too, Islam right now is stronger than McGregor.

Q: In what aspects?

A: If we look of the wrestling of Islam and Khabib. We look at Islam's striking in his last fights. He drops his opponents at right moments. Makhachevs has the highest level of grappling. Islam is ready for championship ambitions.

Q: Let's sat we rate Khabib's wrestling at 100/100. On that scale where would you rate Makhachev's wrestling?

A: At 95/100, Khabib has a small advantage on how he sets up triangles with his legs (traps legs). He's ahead of anybody in this aspect. But in the stand up Islam is better than Khabib in many ways.

Rematch with McGregor

Q: You recently released a book where you said that you want an eventual rematch with McGregor.

A: Of course, not right now but maybe in a year.

Q: So in 2021?

A: Yes, look for 3,5 years Conor didn't win anything and didn't beat anybody. I think that if he beats Cerrone, than why shouldn't he fight Islam? If Islam beats Kevin Lee, he'll be on an 8 fight win streak, that would make him a real contender. I have not doubts what or ever that Islam will take Conor apart, he will control him and choke him out.

Q: So you have no doubts about that Conor beats Cerrone on 18th of January?

A: Conor is sharper and better than Cerrone in the big fights.

Q: Do you think that Conor's next opponent has been cherry picked for his come back?

A: I wouldn't say so. Cerrone has dropped many people. His right leg can land and whack Conor on the head at any moment. You can't count Cerrone out. But RDA for instance completely outstruck Cerrone. McGregor on the other hand is very dangerous with his left hand, especially in the beginning of the fight. We saw that against Eddy Alvarez and Jose Aldo. He is very good in the beginning of the fight, very good.

Q: Would you like to see a rematch between Khabib and Conor to see a resolution to the rivalry or is it about something else?

A: When it comes to the outcome, I have no doubts about who'll win. I would like to see it to shut up the haters.

Q: You once said that you would beat Conor in a wrestling match.

A: I'm ready to wrestle him at any time.

Q: How long time would you need to beat him?

A: I would send him flying in about 30 seconds.

Q: 30?!

A: I would be able to toss him as soon as I get a grip. I weigh 110 kg and work out every day, I can wrestle with my students 1,5 - 2 minutes straight without any problems.

Q: With Khabib as well?

A: With him and Islam it's harder, maybe a minute, he keeps a high pace and it gets hard. But against him it was hard for McGregor as well (smile).
----

Update - cliffs of the rest:

About Khabib fighting in Russia

- Khabib will probably not fight in Russia because of PPV.
- It would take a huge amount of money from private sponsors to bring a Khabib card to Russia

About Umar and Usman Nurmagomedov

- Umar will likely be signed by UFC in 2020.
- Umar will enter top 15 within 2 years.
- Will challenge for BW belt by the time Petr Yan retires (Yan said he plans to retire when he's 30, which is 4 years from now).

- Usman is a huge talent, going 8-0 at 21 years old.
- Usman will have a huge break trough in next 1,5 years. They expect to book another 8 fights for him during that period before going to a bigger promotions (currently at GFC and Brave).

Abdulmanaps list of top 3 GOATS in the past decade

- John Jones, GSP and Khabib in no particular order.

Most worrying moment of 2019

- When Poirier landed that shot and Khabib started backing away.
- Was not scared of Guillotine, because he was right next to Khabib speaking to him and asked Khabib to raise his elbow as a sing that everything is under control, which he did.

Most impressive Russian fighter of 2019

- Petr Yan, Magomed Ankalaev, Islam Makhachev

Biggest disappointment of 2019

- Abubakar Nurmagomedov

Last edited:

23v7zx.jpg

GOATmanap v Conor confirmed

thank OP, you're in my top 5 posters on sherdog !

interesting to see that abdulmanap always praise conor's skills, haters should learn ...

Last edited:

Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov gave a big interview to the biggest Russian sports newspaper Sport-Express. Interview is a sort of end of the year summary + expectations for next year. A lot of news, insights and interesting information from Abdulmanap. As always I only translate the stuff that I think are the most interesting.

Khabib vs Ferguson

Q: Khabib has been preparing 4 times for the fight against Tony Ferguson. Is there anything more you need to learn about him ahead of this fight?

A: There is always room for improvement. But I think it will be 90% the same preparation. Tony is no rookie, Khabib is also coming to an end of his career. Both fighters are in their prime, both got 12 fight win streaks. Fighters with such records have never fought before this is the biggest fight in UFC history..

A: His endurance, his jab, his chokes. His elbows and ability to open cuts. Ferguson goes all out and fights until the end.

A: When it comes to endurance, yes. But all in all, Khabib has faced 3 far more dangerous opponents.

A: He was the most dangerous of the three in the first round. He has the quickest hands.

Q: In that regard, should Justin Gaethje be considered the most dangerous opponent for Khabib than Ferguson?

A: I don't think so. In a potential fight with Gaethje, in a matter of 12-13 minutes it will be clear who'll win the fight. With Ferguson we might have to go 25 minutes to determine that.

A: Khabib is as dangerous to Ferguson on the feet as Ferguson is to him. Tony will fall first if they trade punches.

Q: Tony is not getting any younger, he's 36 already. That's quite an age for a fighter at LW.

A: He's not the kind of fighter that starts to get extra pounds with age. He has a lanky body with good conditioning, he's keeping himself in shape. He is quick and strong. But that will last 7-8 minutes. After that period it becomes about endurance, precision and tactics. We've faced more serious opponents.

Q: Ahead of Poirier fight you made a prediction that Porier won't make it to the 4th round.

A: I'll say like this, this fight can either end within 1-1,5 rounds or it might go the distance. I will not reveal our plans, but we'll try to finish the fight within 6-7 minutes.

A: I hope this fight will be booked for 18th of April. Both guys want it. I see Islam as Khabib's successor at LW throne, I await it. I will be happy if Khabib retires undefeated and Islam takes his place.

A: yes, that's what I mean by lucky finish. During the fight he wasn't dominating the fight in any way. I think Islam has a better stand up than him, he also has better wrestling and grappling.

Q: Javier Mendez thinks that Makhachev would be a favourite in a potential fight against McGregor.

A: If we look of the wrestling of Islam and Khabib. We look at Islam's striking in his last fights. He drops his opponents at right moments. Makhachevs has the highest level of grappling. Islam is ready for championship ambitions.

Q: Let's sat we rate Khabib's wrestling at 100/100. On that scale where would you rate Makhachev's wrestling?

A: At 95/100, Khabib has a small advantage on how he sets up triangles with his legs (traps legs). He's ahead of anybody in this aspect. But in the stand up Islam is better than Khabib in many ways.

Rematch with McGregor

Q: You recently released a book where you said that you want an eventual rematch with McGregor.

A: Yes, look for 3,5 years Conor didn't win anything and didn't beat anybody. I think that if he beats Cerrone, than why shouldn't he fight Islam? If Islam beats Kevin Lee, he'll be on an 8 fight win streak, that would make him a real contender. I have not doubts what or ever that Islam will take Conor apart, he will control him and choke him out.

Q: Do you think that Conor's next opponent has been cherry picked for his come back?

A: I wouldn't say so. Cerrone has dropped many people. His right leg can land and whack Conor on the head at any moment. You can't count Cerrone out. But RDA for instance completely outstruck Cerrone. McGregor on the other hand is very dangerous with his left hand, especially in the beginning of the fight. We saw that against Eddy Alvarez and Jose Aldo. He is very good in the beginning of the fight, very good.

Q: Would you like to see a rematch between Khabib and Conor to see a resolution to the rivalry or is it about something else?

A: When it comes to the outcome, I have no doubts about who'll win. I would like to see it to shut up the haters.

A: I would be able to toss him as soon as I get a grip. I weigh 110 kg and work out every day, I can wrestle with my students 1,5 - 2 minutes straight without any problems.

A: With him and Islam it's harder, maybe a minute, he keeps a high pace and it gets hard. But against him it was hard for McGregor as well (smile).
---

There is a lot more, bit I might just summarise the rest a bit later.

Bro thank you for putting that together in such an coherent manner. Thank you for an awesome effort.

But to say more dangerous opponents than Tony i.e McNuggets, Johnson!! That is plainly wrong. Tony is better than all of them. Tony did duck Poirier though, because he refused to fight him for the interim. So yes Poirier is superior.

Abdulmanap vs Conor book it goof

Bro thank you for putting that together in such an coherent manner. Thank you for an awesome effort.

But to say more dangerous opponents than Tony i.e McNuggets, Johnson!! That is plainly wrong. Tony is better than all of them. Tony did duck Poirier though, because he refused to fight him for the interim. So yes Poirier is superior.

"Ducked" him LMAO when he'd already won 11 in a row and been stripped of that fake belt previously (in record fast time no less).

Nobody will stop you in thinking Dustin is better (you're wrong, but you have the right to think whatever you want) but acting like Tony should ever have been forced to win another fight at all before fighting Khabib is dumb. He fought Pettis on the SAME CARD as Kahbib/Conor FFS. After being stripped of the interim belt.

I honestly think that Ferguson is an easier fight than Mcgregor, khabib has shown to have a great chin, he could easily ko ferguson in a exchange.

"Ducked" him LMAO when he'd already won 11 in a row and been stripped of that fake belt previously (in record fast time no less).

Nobody will stop you in thinking Dustin is better (you're wrong, but you have the right to think whatever you want) but acting like Tony should ever have been forced to win another fight at all before fighting Khabib is dumb. He fought Pettis on the SAME CARD as Kahbib/Conor FFS. After being stripped of the interim belt.
Yes he ducked Poirier, this is a free world and you can believe what you want. Baldy Diana had promised a TITLE SHOT to the winner of the interim belt between Poirier and Tony Ferguson. Khabib could not fight earlier because of his suspension for 9 or so months. Tony Ferguson refused to fight Poirier for the INTERIM BELT and the chance to fight Khabib.

As Tony ducked Poirier (yes this was damned stupid because he would have face Khabib by now, win or lose). So yes Tony ducked Poirier. Maybe he felt he didn't need to risk his unbeaten record or what.

Islam would kill Conor.

Conor runs to Jorges for the money.

He don't want that Dagestani smoke he's just posturing.

Shoorik at it with the GOAT threads yet again

Islam would molest Conor worse than Khabib did

Abdulmanap is a wise man. He truly knows what’s up in the MMA game. Conor would stand ZERO chance

Khabib Bless

GOATmanap v Conor confirmed

I would love to see that fight :D.
I imagine it being retro style in some Japanese promotion, Abdulmanap coming out in his Sambo gear.

Khabib vs Ferguson

Q: In that regard, should Justin Gaethje be considered the most dangerous opponent for Khabib than Ferguson?

Rematch with McGregor

----

Update - cliffs of the rest:

About Khabib fighting in Russia

- Khabib will probably not fight in Russia because of PPV.
- It would take a huge amount of money from private sponsors to bring a Khabib card to Russia

About Umar and Usman Nurmagomedov

- Umar will likely be signed by UFC in 2020.
- Umar will enter top 15 within 2 years.
- Will challenge for BW belt by the time Petr Yan retires (Yan said he plans to retire when he's 30, which is 4 years from now).

- Usman is a huge talent, going 8-0 at 21 years old.
- Usman will have a huge break trough in next 1,5 years. They expect to book another 8 fights for him during that period before going to a bigger promotions (currently at GFC and Brave).

Abdulmanaps list of top 3 GOATS in the past decade

- John Jones, GSP and Khabib in no particular order.

Most worrying moment of 2019

- When Poirier landed that shot and Khabib started backing away.
- Was not scared of Guillotine, because he was right next to Khabib speaking to him and asked Khabib to raise his elbow as a sing that everything is under control, which he did.

Most impressive Russian fighter of 2019

- Petr Yan, Magomed Ankalaev, Islam Makhachev

Biggest disappointment of 2019

- Abubakar Nurmagomedov

Thanks for the translation. You're the man.

that is hilarious that he thinks he'd basically assrape Conor in a wrestling match and his proof is that he's 242lbs and that he can wrestle with his students for 2 minutes.<{outtahere}>

that is hilarious that he thinks he'd basically assrape Conor in a wrestling match and his proof is that he's 242lbs and that he can wrestle with his students for 2 minutes.<{outtahere}>

What makes you believe that Conor is better than his students? Some of his students started around 4. Conor started at 19.

In retrospect it was a poor decision on his part since he still had to fight Cerrone after that and missed out on the fight with Khabib in September. All good though, because it's now booked for April and could not be more epic. Finally (knock on wood)!

What makes you believe that Conor is better than his students? Some of his students started around 4. Conor started at 19.

i didn't say i think he's better than his students, i just found it hilarious that his proof that he'd destroy Conor is that he's fat and can spar for 2 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back