Ab Exercises

718Glock9

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
How often should one do ab workouts? I've heard everything from everyday to every other day to once a workout rotation... For best results, how often should an ab workout be done? Any help would be appreciated.

what are you doing for your abs? how heavy are you going? these are important answers to have.

If you're going heavy, and training with good exercises (8-12 reps per set with exercises like saxon side bends, full contact twists, side presses, windmills, ab wheel rollouts, etc.) then you need to train more sparingly (and you'll understand why if you do this.) if you're just doing crunches by the hundred, then you're wasting your time but you can train every day if you like.

well actually I have been doing more of an aerobic ab exercise for like half an hour everyday. Crunches, leg raises, reverse crunches, bicycle seat, etc. I haven're really done anything with weights... I have some definition in the ab region, but not necessarily like I would like. Should I start doing those exercises that you mentioned with some weights?

you want definition? eat less and find a BBing forum. Want good core strength? start training your abs heavier (that means with weights). i suggest you read the stickies, my site has an alright intro to ab training in strength training 101.

definitely not gonna eat less haha I just lost about 35 pounds in 4 months now I'm just eating to maintain and taking some protein too... But hey thanks alot I appreciate it homie...

a 6 pack is made in the kicthen, not the gym.

It took me a very long time to find the ab routine that worked for me. Most ab exercises just worked my lower back. Just keep experimenting until you find what works for you

I've been doing a lot of weighted sit-ups these days!

I drink a protein shake after doing sit-ups with a 12 pound medicine ball, and I gained 3 pounds in 2 days, and my six pack sticks out more than before, not that I give 2 shits bout that....

feel it out, i know if my abs are burning i wont work them.

Dragon flags and ab wheel rollouts!!!! 1-2 tmes a week

Your abs aren't made of some magic type of muscle than the rest of your body. If you want to make them stonger, train them as you should everything else, heavy weights - lower reps - sufficient rest.

nudge119 said:
Your abs aren't made of some magic type of muscle than the rest of your body. If you want to make them stonger, train them as you should everything else, heavy weights - lower reps - sufficient rest.

LOL! "Magic type of muscle."

Urban said:
you want definition? eat less and find a BBing forum. Want good core strength? start training your abs heavier (that means with weights). i suggest you read the stickies, my site has an alright intro to ab training in strength training 101.

I agree but I also think training for muscular endurance- especially in the smaller muscle groups that fatigue more quickly- is also essential.

+1 for the v-ups.. combine it with planks, russian twists and the ab-wheel and you will be good to go..;)

Dont know what planks are but i would add leg raises instead and you have king, queen and prince.

Well I buy leg raises to in that equation, but if I had to choose one of those 2 exercises and that was everything I used everytime I would choose planks to get some nice static painfull training in there.

A plank by the way is on your elbows and toes, hold your body straight as a plank and hold for time, over a minut usually starts to be tough for most. Upwards 5 minutes is really good.

Lie on your back with your legs on the ground and your arms stretched out over your head, fold your body like a "jack knife" (corect english word?) until your hands and legs meet, try and keep your hands over your head all through the excersice and focus on that the abs does the work.

And keep your feet an inch over the ground betwen reps, dont let the abs rest by having them on the ground.

Back