Economy A sign inflation is easing: Walmart is slashing prices on clothing and other products

It's not a narrative. Just a fact. That means it's not baked into market expectations. Look up market expectations for inflation.

Well shit, you must have won that bet then, right?

You know your a Hack when Fn Yellen is even admitting she was wrong believing it was transitory....yet here you are. Good Grief Jack.

Oh. So are we still clinging to the "it's transitory" narrative?

Last man on the sinking ship on that narrative. Lol
Get your head out of your butt bro titanic sinking is transitory, it will rise again one day l they got a lot of the ship out and on display in museums… get a brain and all that lol

I was told by Jack "Inflation is transitory" Savage that we are not in a recession.

He has a fine record on this stuff so I'm on team #HackSavage
Yeah I remember that topic and how far he was off. It was pretty funny.

Well shit, you must have won that bet then, right?

You know your a Hack when Fn Yellen is even admitting she was wrong believing it was transitory....yet here you are. Good Grief Jack.

Um, did you read my post? Anyway, unpredictable events happen. Note that I'm still 12-1 in bets, including a win over you (which you welshed on).

Get your head out of your butt bro titanic sinking is transitory, it will rise again one day l they got a lot of the ship out and on display in museums… get a brain and all that lol

No, but transitory means it's not baked into expectations. It's not a comment about a specific (still short) period of the elevated numbers. You can look up market expectations yourself. 2.8% over the next 5 years at this time, for example.

Not sure if you're genuinely confused or just doing the thing where you say stuff you know isn't true to show how much you hate those evil people who aren't in your tribe.

giphy.webp

No, but transitory means it's not baked into expectations. It's not a comment about a specific (still short) period of the elevated numbers. You can look up market expectations yourself. 2.8% over the next 5 years at this time, for example.

Not sure if you're genuinely confused or just doing the thing where you say stuff you know isn't true to show how much you hate those evil people who aren't in your tribe.
Nah bro we have had discussions before. Don’t tell me your routine is like hers?

Inflation could very well be easing I'm not sure to be honest, but Walmart putting a bunch of garbage that isn't selling at clearance prices to make way for new stock isn't a sign of inflation easing.
That’s the problem here. Are prices coming down? Or did Walmart purchased too much inventory and it’s too costly to store it or put it in another warehouse? If prices are really coming down that’s great news. I doubt that is the case though. Target had the same problem earlier and had to massively discount a lot of inventory especially the outdoor stuff. I see this being a more of a one off. If it becomes a trend it means that come to try to dump their inventories before they become a liability.

I read somewhere crickets are 1/3rd off in August.

I hope things improve for you lower income sherbros. Just remember to stop spending $40 on fast food every day you chodes.

Thank Putin he raised the prices now he’s lowering them

Biden: Come on, man. It's a Putin price hike only if the prices go up. Because the i-i-inflation, uh, went up because of Putin. You can't just call it a Putin rollback. That's not funny, Jack. It's offensive to the great Amumrican men and women who have worked together so hard, uh, to make the ecomnomny great together, as a nation. We've been fighting Ukraine in Putin, and many other things... Anyway, I think I might need to be somewhere... [glances around confusedly]

Walmart jeans and crickets covered in cheese dust. What a future.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/25/business/walmart-inflation-prices/index.html

New York (CNN Business)Many shoppers have pulled back on buying clothing and other discretionary items as the highest inflation in four decades pinches their pocketbooks.

That's left Walmart (WMT) and other retailers stuck with too much clothing and bigger-ticket stuff sitting on their shelves. To help clear out the backlog, Walmart is cutting prices on some items and marking down products.
"The increasing levels of food and fuel inflation are affecting how customers spend," Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in a news release Monday. "Apparel in Walmart U.S. is requiring more markdown dollars."
The company expects a slowdown on customer spending for general merchandise in the second half of the year, McMillon said.

Walmart is the largest retailer in the United States, and its move could prompt rivals to bring down prices in these areas.
While lower prices and markdowns are welcome news for shoppers, they mean lower profit for companies. Clothing and general merchandise are more profitable for Walmart than groceries and consumable items.
Walmart in its announcement Monday cut its profit outlook for the second quarter and the remainder of the year.
The company's stock fell 9% during after-hours trading. Amazon (AMZN), Target (TGT) and other retailers' stocks also dropped following the news from Walmart.

Hell yeah guys, Walmart is dropping prices on underselling unnecessary crap because people aren't buying that shit because food and gas is too expensive.

Inflation is easing!!!

Peak CNN.

Sounds awfully like supply constraints on oil and food are driving the high inflation readings.

The bullwhip effect is what they call it I believe.
The bullwhip effect is a supply chain phenomenon describing how small fluctuations in demand at the retail level can cause progressively larger fluctuations in demand at the wholesale, distributor, manufacturer and raw material supplier levels. The effect is named after the physics involved in cracking a whip.

Back