A pro grappler makes more than every MMA fighter minus three. Is this a bad look for the UFC?

Who is paying him 30k for a submission grappling match? Nobody watches BJJ or submission grappling

Also pretty sure CTE can only be diagnosed after death so I'm not sure I buy there are studies claiming thatsthat tons of judokas get CTE

Well.. Gordon Ryan is not just a "pro-gappler". Isn't he like THE grappler right now? Some sort of Mayweather of BJJ?

Sort of. For sure the guy to beat and IMO the most efficient grappler I've ever seen. Can't really get better fundamentals than he has.

Yeah I amended in my comment he's probably able to have more matches as opposed to fighting four times a year

Everyone knows the UFC is a scam. They have the nsac bought. pretty soon, star athletes will go to other sports like bjj and build their base there. Why would you want damage for pennies. In bjj, you can get injuries but not as bad
Maybe you’re not following how Gordon makes most of his money......

The best grappler in the world, Gordon Ryan, posted an Instagram story 2 days ago of his tax returns. They showed that he made $3.8million USD before taxes, and thinks he will make over $6 million for this current financial year because of how quickly his brand is growing.

Only three active UFC fighters consistently pull over $4mil a year (two if we're counting Conor as retired).

Gordon Ryan turned 25 this month, doesn't have any CTE, and makes more money than UFC "stars" with millions of IG followers and championship belts.

All seven of Gordon's $250 instructionals sold thousands of copies, he also makes $30k per match and charges $600 an hour in privates + $35k a month from sponsors. Not to mention the insane seminar money

Below is a record of first week sales for his new Open Guard DVD in the first week alone:

When will all UFC champs start making 7 figures a fight?

A lot of guys in a lot of sports make more than anyone in the UFC. I don't see how adding one more makes any difference.

Why do bjj instructionals sell so well but striking ones dont

Samething any UFC fighter can do, notice he is growing his brand. Not sitting around bitching about pay.

The best grappler in the world, Gordon Ryan, posted an Instagram story 2 days ago of his tax returns. They showed that he made $3.8million USD before taxes, and thinks he will make over $6 million for this current financial year because of how quickly his brand is growing.

Only three active UFC fighters consistently pull over $4mil a year (two if we're counting Conor as retired).

Gordon Ryan turned 25 this month, doesn't have any CTE, and makes more money than UFC "stars" with millions of IG followers and championship belts.

All seven of Gordon's $250 instructionals sold thousands of copies, he also makes $30k per match and charges $600 an hour in privates + $35k a month from sponsors. Not to mention the insane seminar money

Below is a record of first week sales for his new Open Guard DVD in the first week alone:

He makes alot less than the average UFC champ from grappling... Those are DVD sales...
If any MMA fighters think they can make good instructional that will sell like his be my guest.
I bet GSP made more than that acting during that year he was in avengers.

Who is paying him 30k for a submission grappling match?
Rich oil baron sheiks in the case of ADCC. 1st place in weight class $10k, first place in absolute $40k, superfight $40k.

No, but the content he's teaching is unique which is why it sells so much

Condit and Wonderboy have released striking instructionals on BJJ Fanatics recently and like 15 people bought them lol
That’s got nothing to do with the UFC though does it? Which was your original premise.

Ryan is one guy. I don't think that all the other grapplers are doing as well.

He isn't making 7 figures a fight, he's making it from his side business. Do you have any numbers on what UFC fighters are making for their own businesses?

I thought only Indians bragged about their salary.
Anyways, comparing to the best in breed is a poor example.

This is why sub grappling has dropped off so much in MMA, the "evolution" crowd claim its been forced out but when you do get a genuine elite grappler in MMA with some rounding suddenly "evolved" grappling doesn't look so effective.

Back in the day if someone was making waves in BJJ/ADCC/etc it was almost expected they've give MMA a try but over the last decade or so this has happened less and less and when it does its often late in someones career and not fully committing to cross training.

Sub grappling isn't a poor sport you can attract people from with peanuts.

Gordan Ryan created a brand for himself. And it’s not like there are lots like him.

Buchecha just signed for mma.

And Ryan’s business model is available for mma fighters as well. He doesn’t make his living off of purse money.

Back