A pro grappler makes more than every MMA fighter minus three. Is this a bad look for the UFC?

kezxtie

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The best grappler in the world, Gordon Ryan, posted an Instagram story 2 days ago of his tax returns. They showed that he made $3.8million USD before taxes, and thinks he will make over $6 million for this current financial year because of how quickly his brand is growing.

Only three active UFC fighters consistently pull over $4mil a year (two if we're counting Conor as retired).

Gordon Ryan turned 25 this month, doesn't have any CTE, and makes more money than UFC "stars" with millions of IG followers and championship belts.

All seven of Gordon's $250 instructionals sold thousands of copies, he also makes $30k per match and charges $600 an hour in privates + $35k a month from sponsors. Not to mention the insane seminar money

Below is a record of first week sales for his new Open Guard DVD in the first week alone:

When will all UFC champs start making 7 figures a fight?

This is the byproduct of being one of the best. Has nothing to do with actual competition

30k per match is rather low too. Granted he's probably able to have more matches

Hamzat made 16/16

This is the byproduct of being one of the best. Has nothing to do with actual competition

30 per match is rather low too.

Hamzat made 16/16
Except Gordon (when corona isn't going on) competes over 25 times a year on average lol

He also doesn't get any brain damage and his matches are usually over inside 6-7 minutes

Except Gordon (when corona isn't going on) competes over 25 times a year on average lol
Yeah I amended in my comment he's probably able to have more matches as opposed to fighting four times a year

Everyone knows the UFC is a scam. They have the nsac bought. pretty soon, star athletes will go to other sports like bjj and build their base there. Why would you want damage for pennies. In bjj, you can get injuries but not as bad

Last edited:
Gordon Ryan turned 25 this month, doesn't have any CTE, and makes more money than UFC "stars" with millions of IG followers and championship belts.

Not to be "that guy" but he has under 300k followers on IG.

*Edit: Derp.

He’s not making his money from the matches. He’s making more from his side gigs; selling dvds and giving private lessons, that stuff. There are UFC fighters that do that too. I don’t know how well they do off those compared to him. I know Demian Maia has done the same side hustles. No idea how well he did in comparison

He’s not making his money from the matches. He’s making more from his side gigs; selling dvds and giving private lessons, that stuff. There are UFC fighters that do that too. I don’t know how well they do off those compared to him. I know Demian Maia has done the same side hustles. No idea how well he did in comparison
He makes $30k a match and competes over 20 times a year when healthy/no pandemic

He makes plenty from his matches lol, and Maia's side gigs don't pay nearly as well as Gordon's

Gordon's guard passing instructional is the 2nd highest selling instructional in BJJ Fanatics history, after Danaher's leg lock DVD.

And Gordon makes a new instructional every few months

So he is making loads of money off DVDs, classes etc.

And very little off his actual fights.

UFC pay their guys to fight. Surely if the fighters want to go and make DVDs to sell etc they can do that too?

That's the point lol

UFC guys have millions of followers and still get paid 1/4 of what he does + CTE

I never said he has millions of followers
UFC fighters need to be better businessmen . See he's not making millions from competition. $30K to compete? Even the worst UFC fighter in the league makes that if he wins. He's making millions from his own brand. UFC guys need to start their own companies and investments, just like Conor did, and just like Josh Barnett did.

So he is making loads of money off DVDs, classes etc.

And very little off his actual fights.

UFC pay their guys to fight. Surely if the fighters won’t to go and make DVDs to sell etc they can do that too?
No, but the content he's teaching is unique which is why it sells so much

Condit and Wonderboy have released striking instructionals on BJJ Fanatics recently and like 15 people bought them lol

He makes $30k a match and competes over 20 times a year when healthy/no pandemic

He makes plenty from his matches lol, and Maia's side gigs don't pay nearly as well as Gordon's

Gordon's guard passing instructional is the 2nd highest selling instructional in BJJ Fanatics history, after Danaher's leg lock DVD.

And Gordon makes a new instructional every few months
A seriously doubt he is getting 30k for every match. And how would you know how much Maia has made?

Back