A pro grappler makes more than every MMA fighter minus three. Is this a bad look for the UFC?

Gordon (normally) competes 500 times a year, has 20 side hustles, and is literally the best in the world at his craft in a reasonably populated niche with several UNIQUE things to sell.

Is it really *that* surprising?

Last edited:
He also does privates and sells a ton of products. Not to mention actually has a accountant. I usually don't fully buy the numbers the UFC gives out for payment

Except Gordon (when corona isn't going on) competes over 25 times a year on average lol

He also doesn't get any brain damage and his matches are usually over inside 6-7 minutes

Even if he does compete 25 times, the UFC champions make 500-500 as their base. One successful title defense brings in more cash than 25 grappling matches and that's not even taking into account ppv points, dana's "backdoor bonuses", or popular fighters.

This is why sub grappling has dropped off so much in MMA, the "evolution" crowd claim its been forced out but when you do get a genuine elite grappler in MMA with some rounding suddenly "evolved" grappling doesn't look so effective.

Back in the day if someone was making waves in BJJ/ADCC/etc it was almost expected they've give MMA a try but over the last decade or so this has happened less and less and when it does its often late in someones career and not fully committing to cross training.

Sub grappling isn't a poor sport you can attract people from with peanuts.

It's ok, one day you'll overcome that bitterness in your soul.

You're probably one of the guys that cries about Gordon being racist in his comment section lol

I've never heard of the guy, but that post doesn't exactly make him sound appealing in any way. Nothing like showing your body to mostly men and a few women and acting like it was a gift lmao

He makes $30k a match and competes over 20 times a year when healthy/no pandemic

Surely has 20 matches per year but he does not get payed for all of them. Many matches are bracket fights in Worlds / other tournaments.

I love Gordon, but he is a bit autistic lmao:) Just because he doesn't have CTE doesn't mean he doesn't have something else lol:)

He is a wizard on the mat, but not the smartest in other facets.
He's a f*cking idiot when talking about anything not BJJ-related, especially politics...
20200801_173320.jpg
20200801_173409.jpg
Just someone with a ton of followers and people looking up to him openly suggesting to kill drug addicts, folks.

Sounds like Gordon has a good business outside of competition.

$30k/match is rather low for someone who is the best at what they do. Then again, BJJ is not in the commercial mainstream.

Get off sherdog Gordon, you're a tool and can't compete in MMA.

This is why sub grappling has dropped off so much in MMA, the "evolution" crowd claim its been forced out but when you do get a genuine elite grappler in MMA with some rounding suddenly "evolved" grappling doesn't look so effective.

Back in the day if someone was making waves in BJJ/ADCC/etc it was almost expected they've give MMA a try but over the last decade or so this has happened less and less and when it does its often late in someones career and not fully committing to cross training.

Sub grappling isn't a poor sport you can attract people from with peanuts.

Let's see how Rodolfo and Tonon do, they're elite grapplers. Plus Bucheca is supposed to be moving over. I'd love to see JT Torres try MMA as I think his style is perfect, but he's made no noises so far.

Hopefully they continue to do better than Augusto Mendes

As much as I'd love to see it, not sure why he would ever think of crossing over into MMA if he's making that much from just grappling.

So how are you affiliated with gordon ????

This is like the 2nd thread you've made praising that dickhead.

He makes $30k a match and competes over 20 times a year when healthy/no pandemic

He makes plenty from his matches lol, and Maia's side gigs don't pay nearly as well as Gordon's

Gordon's guard passing instructional is the 2nd highest selling instructional in BJJ Fanatics history, after Danaher's leg lock DVD.

And Gordon makes a new instructional every few months

Such a confusing position you have. The number one guy makes $30K per match, and this is supposed to make the UFC look bad?

What people do on the side is their own business.

Well.. Gordon Ryan is not just a "pro-gappler". Isn't he like THE grappler right now? Some sort of Mayweather of BJJ?

Let's see how Rodolfo and Tonon do, they're elite grapplers. Plus Bucheca is supposed to be moving over. I'd love to see JT Torres try MMA as I think his style is perfect, but he's made no noises so far.

Hopefully they continue to do better than Augusto Mendes

Mendes was the kind of career I was talking about, someone shifting into MMA only in his mid 30's and not really developing a rounded skill set.

Rodolfo and Tonon are at least a bit younger(although still didn't switch to their late 20's) and the former has looked very impressive although hasn't really been tested much standing yet.

I do think when you see really elite sub grappling at play a lot of what passes for evolved modern MMA tends to fall apart, fighters who are waaaaaay to willing to give up their backs in order to stand up.

Mendes was the kind of career I was talking about, someone shifting into MMA only in his mid 30's and not really developing a rounded skill set.

Rodolfo and Tonon are at least a bit younger(although still didn't switch to their late 20's) and the former has looked very impressive although hasn't really been tested much standing yet.

I do think when you see really elite sub grappling at play a lot of what passes for evolved modern MMA tends to fall apart, fighters who are waaaaaay to willing to give up their backs in order to stand up.

I guess it's risk Vs reward, more people would take the risk against a weaker grappler than they would against Maia for example

I guess it's risk Vs reward, more people would take the risk against a weaker grappler than they would against Maia for example

I think you see these days a lot of fighters that's all they know, hence why so many look totally clueless against someone like Khabib who can shut down cheap tactics.

If Gordon Ryan decided to fight he would be super famous.

Back