A pretty decent approach on Intermittent fasting.

Just like with any form of receptor, if it's overstimulated for long enough, it down-regulates; that is, becomes less sensitive. If our insulin receptors are constantly bombarded with insulin due to constant spikes from high GI and heavy carb meals, they become resistant. Hence the epidemic right now of diabetes.

Exercise causes glycogen depletion, and up-regulation (increased sensitivity) of insulin receptors. IF does the same thing; while fasting for short periods doesn't necessarily decrease glycogen stores like exercise, it does increase insulin receptor sensitivity. Through what mechanism, I'm not sure.

Which is why I don't like 60-70 gams of high GI in the PWO. Most people drink soda, or juice, or boose frequently enough to already have constant insulin fluxes. Doing it intentionally EVERY day after working out, just doesn't show the health aspect to me.

I wouldn't say I'm a strict IFer. I just don't like my schedule to revolve around eating. If I'm hungry, I eat something, if I have a lunch meeting, I'll eat something. I took my wife for brunch on her birthday and ate something, I won't forgo certain social aspects just to be strict with IF. However, on the flip side, I won't force myself to eat something at a certain time of the day if I don't want to. I'm NEVER hungry in the morning, so I don't eat breakfast. If lunch rolls around and I'm not hungry, I won't eat. I just like the looks on peoples faces when I tell them I haven't eaten breakfast yet, and it's 3pm. The mere thought of going even a few hours without food is a shocker to them.

As for IF, and your conclusion. Studies done never last a week or a few days. Ever. The zone although not a diet sytem I like, is good for some. Funny thing is though, when the zone is initially started, sluggishness, and workout performance goes down at first. Weeks 3 and 4 is when it seems to pay off for most who have tried it in athletic pursuit.

Paleo is good, and frankly my way of eating.

IF, is much like zone, in the fact that it needs a adjustment period. For me, it was hard at first, but I leaned out extrememly quick, became much more intuitive, and happy in general. It s a sound way of eating, and if longevity is a concern for you, I think it is the smartest way to eat as well. If you are a even a recreational athlete though, you really need to know what you are doing, or know someone who does.

Not saying you don't, just giving my two cents

Yeah I agree with you, but this whole woe just seems to extreme. And anything that just seems to extreme usually either 1) isnt good for you in the long run or 2) you wont be able to maintain it in the long run (or both).

Can you give me a brief run down of how you eat? I'm very curious. I started reading the warrior diet and that seems to make a bit more sense - if you're hungry during the day you eat, but you just eat a little bit of fruits or veggies or some quality protein like eggs or fish. Your main meal is at night though, etc.

I just think, like Sonny said, if I'm going to have to skip a social occasion just to not eat because I am doing IF. I just want more flexibility, is what I'm saying.

And of course you are 100% right about the adjustment period. I know that too and its not just from these couple of days that I'm mentioning this. I'm muslim so I fast every year for thirty days, and its typically for at least 14 hours or so. The thing is, I did have some good training days, etc - but my biggest problem is honestly that when I get too hungry I make crappy food choices. If I can maintain the discipline to really eat Paleo for the rest of my life then just maybe I could get a lot out of this style of eating. However, like people have said - food choice > food timing. Maybe what Im saying is I need to get my priorities straight. The best thing I've gotten out of reading all this stuff, though, is that you DONT need to eat 6 times a day to lose weight, and you DONT need to eat even if you're not hungry.

I'm with Sonny on this one. Still, though, I might try doing this for a few months to see how it pans out once I get my food sorted out. Could you give me an idea of a typical week of eating for you?

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Yeah I agree with you, but this whole woe just seems to extreme. And anything that just seems to extreme usually either 1) isnt good for you in the long run or 2) you wont be able to maintain it in the long run (or both).

Can you give me a brief run down of how you eat? I'm very curious. I started reading the warrior diet and that seems to make a bit more sense - if you're hungry during the day you eat, but you just eat a little bit of fruits or veggies or some quality protein like eggs or fish. Your main meal is at night though, etc.

I just think, like Sonny said, if I'm going to have to skip a social occasion just to not eat because I am doing IF. I just want more flexibility, is what I'm saying.

And of course you are 100% right about the adjustment period. I know that too and its not just from these couple of days that I'm mentioning this. I'm muslim so I fast every year for thirty days, and its typically for at least 14 hours or so. The thing is, I did have some good training days, etc - but my biggest problem is honestly that when I get too hungry I make crappy food choices. If I can maintain the discipline to really eat Paleo for the rest of my life then just maybe I could get a lot out of this style of eating. However, like people have said - food choice > food timing. Maybe what Im saying is I need to get my priorities straight. The best thing I've gotten out of reading all this stuff, though, is that you DONT need to eat 6 times a day to lose weight, and you DONT need to eat even if you're not hungry.

I'm with Sonny on this one. Still, though, I might try doing this for a few months to see how it pans out once I get my food sorted out. Could you give me an idea of a typical week of eating for you?

Ramadan is brutal, my buddy Mohammed has a rough time with headaches during Ramadan and like you, he has a tendency to make BAD food decisions as a result.

If you're feeling reluctant, there's no reason why you HAVE to give IF a shot. Different strokes for different folks. Give it a shot for a week and see how you feel. It's open for interpretation, some people eat like this 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Some people 'cycle' IF as a means of changing things up.

I think the major controversy with this WOE is the lack of research in relation to athletes. If your training more then 2 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week, some serious modifications need to be made. That's why I like the lean gains approach for me personally, beacause this style of IF won't affect my training negatively. Would this work for everyone? probably not, but it works for me on certain days and may work for many others as well.

I think the best thing to do is listen to your body and consider your goals no matter how you choose to eat. Wheter your a vegan trying to G-flux and train MMA, or a carnivore training for marathons jsut listen to your body and make at necessary adjustments. Like Bruce Lee use what works and throw away the rest.

Some find it extreme, I find it to be a happy median for me.

I workout in the morning and I am done eating by 3pm generally. I go workout, then have my PWO meal. Simple oatmeal and protein shake.

Meal 2, well yesterday was 8oz of new your strip, 1/2 cup blueberries 2 cups brocolli, 2 cups cauliflower, 10 olives, and 12 almonds.

Meal 3. 2 4oz chicken breast, 1 cucumber, 2 carrots, 1 cub brocolli, 1/2 cup feta 12 almonds. 1/2 cup strawberries

meal4 Muscle milk.

Thats just a example.

Who said you had to? A diet should never run your life, unless you are making weight for something. I eat outside the window every sunday when I go to see my parents. Hasn't had a bad effect at all.

If you become hungry, ealt a handful of almonds or olives. For me I drink a variety of teas through out the night

Let me gets this clear, is light snacking considered IF? I thought the fasting window was strictly no food and snacking was more Warrior Diet, is there a difference? Please clarify.

Let me gets this clear, is light snacking considered IF? I thought the fasting window was strictly no food and snacking was more Warrior Diet, is there a difference? Please clarify.

Ori Hofmekler (author of the Warrior Diet) has stated that 'ideally' you should work towards not eating anything during the day.

BTW. He mentions in his interview, 16 hour fast leaving 8 hours for feeding. Doesn't he sleep? Does he count hours sleeping towards the fast? If so that makes things even easier.

I eat my last meal of the day at 8pm. 16 hours later is only until noon the next day. That's not hard.

Yep. I don't eat much, but I like to eat often.

You location inspired me to put Deftones back into my CD changer rotation.

BTW. He mentions in his interview, 16 hour fast leaving 8 hours for feeding. Doesn't he sleep? Does he count hours sleeping towards the fast? If so that makes things even easier.

I eat my last meal of the day at 8pm. 16 hours later is only until noon the next day. That's not hard.

ttt on this.

After reading those 3 articles it seems that my approach is more along the lines of the Fast 5. 19 hours fasting including sleep. The first protein power article is interesting though. I'm interested to see how that would work. Eat as much as you can until 6pm and then fast for 24 hours until 6 pm the next day and repeat.

Back