A noob's routine

Waxwingslain

oiseau rebelle
@purple
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have spent the past few days reading the S&P forum and have learned a lot from it. Now it's time for me to go put my newfound knowledge into practice.

I am 6'2 165lbs and a rank beginner. I want to increase my strength so I can rip people's arms off at BJJ competitions (I want to take the broken limbs home with me and build a collection).

I'm planning a routine that looks like this:

Day 1 Push
Bench Press
Overhead press
Tate press
Dumbell flys
Ab rollers

Day 2 Pull
Deadlifts
Sit down and pull machine
Overhead Pulls
Bent over rows
Weighted sit ups

Day 3 Squats
Squats
Front squats
Box squats (I plan to use a bench for these)
Dumbell lunges
Saxon bends

I am aiming to go heavy on my main three lifts DL, Bench and Squat with about 3 sets of 5-6. I will aim to lift heavy on the other exercises too with about 3 sets of 6-8.

I do 3-4 sessions of BJJ and submission wrestling per week. I can lift in the morning or before BJJ class. I will try and fit grip work in when I'm sitting around at home.

I realise the importance of eating and will be increasing the amount of food I put away.

If you feel something is redundant please point it out. I have a feeling I may be overdoing the squats. Any other suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks all!

Your pull day is JACKED.

Too much work on squat day.

And 3 sets of 5-6 isn't heavy, 1-4 sets of 1-3 is heavy.

OK, how should I change my pull day?

How about I cut box squats and dumbell lunges from my squat day?

I am listening and appreciate the prompt input. I will start this routine in earnest tomorrow morning.

Yes, alter the squat day as you say, remove the box squats and DB lunges.

On pull day, do something like this:
Deadlifts
Stiff Legged Deadlifts, Romanian Deadlifts, Goodmornings (pick one)
Barbell Rows
Barbell Shrugs
Extra Lat/Back work

Thanks for taking the time to help a noob Carnal, you're a saint.

Edit:
PS: If you ever feel a burning desire to learn Japanese, PM me!

Haha, kancho translates as enema in the dictionary.

It's basically a game that kids play where they try to stick their extended fingers in each other's asses. I've taught kids English a few times and I learned to keep my ass to wall pretty fast.

I've never tried asking a girl for it though!

BTW, I take back what I said about you being a saint...

LOL, Carnal's like the fuckin godfather "I have done this favor for you, and one day you will be called upon to do a service"

I just love it that 12 and 13 year old Japanese kids want to stick their fingers up their english 2nd language teachers asses. That shit just PROVES that's the weirdest country on the planet.

Did they try to fondle your weiner dude? I hear they do that too, especially if you're black.

You generally have to force them to play with your weiner.

Erm, did I just post that on the internet?

(Thinks)

Just joking!!!

I'm not too sure about this whole selling your soul deal either. I just wanted to get big...(

I have a quick question - sorry if this is in the stickies. I think I remember Urban saying you shouldn't lift to failure somewhere - if you could do 7 reps do 5.

I was wondering why? I am following the routine outlined above and basically just trying to improve my GPP.

Waxwingslain said:
I have a quick question - sorry if this is in the stickies. I think I remember Urban saying you shouldn't lift to failure somewhere - if you could do 7 reps do 5.

I was wondering why? I am following the routine outlined above and basically just trying to improve my GPP.

If you can do 7 reps do 7. Trying to get that eighth rep, and failing, especially in a new lifter, develops bad habits, to put it simply.

The added benefit in intensity people try to gain by "going to failure" can be made up be working harder in your lifts. To complete reps with good form trains your brain to make your body complete reps with good form, whereas failing trains you body not to complete that last rep, and/or perhaps to develop a mental "sticking point", which is not what you want.

BTW I love the line about how you have to force the schoolkids to touch your weiner. Way to bring the funny!

Thanks Cmart!

S&P has really set me on the right track.

Ok, here's another question. Has anyone got any advice on how to do a neck plank correctly? I do weighted planks on my squat day and I love 'em so the neck plank sounds really intriguing.

You'd probably be surprised how many times I'm asked about Japanese schoolgirls on Sherdog btw.

Waxwingslain said:
Thanks Cmart!

S&P has really set me on the right track.

Ok, here's another question. Has anyone got any advice on how to do a neck plank correctly? I do weighted planks on my squat day and I love 'em so the neck plank sounds really intriguing.

You'd probably be surprised how many times I'm asked about Japanese schoolgirls on Sherdog btw.

I will give you information on neck planks after you give up everything you know about Japanese schoolgirls.

Cmart said:
I will give you information on neck planks after you give up everything you know about Japanese schoolgirls.

Sheesh. See what I mean about getting asked about schoolgirls?

I can't post everything I know 'cause I'd get banned so here's a run through the basics.

1. Japanese schoolgirls are mostly found in Japan though not always in schools.

2. Your typical Japanese schoolgirl looks like this:

http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/9246/randomschoolgirl11gq.jpg

3. It's not necessarily the case that a Japanese woman wearing a school uniform is a bona fide schoolgirl so you may have to do extra investigation to be really sure.

4. Japanese schoolgirls' favourite word is "kawaii!" which means "cute!"

5. Finally, Japanese schoolgirls are all ridiculously horny and find average looking western guys irresistable.

Nb - One of these statements is not entirely true.

Will that satisfy you, you fiend? :)

FCFighter316 said:
I thought we're not supposed to do flyes, so cancel that? maybe inc press, db bench, or skullcrushers?

I've been doing flyes so someone give me a yay or a nay on this.

They are not really a nono. But in your case i would recommend incline dumbell BP instead.

Can someone some all of this shit up for me. I'm so confused.

And, is sticking your finger up someone's ass a push or pull exercise? What if it's being done to you?

jiujitsujayhawk it is all very simple, if it is being done TO you its a pull, if you are doing it to a japanese school girl its a push...understand?

Back