Media A message from Sam Alvey after being emotional on his loss at UFC Vegas 23

Gio

Wendy Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
For those who didn't know, he was visibly emotional minutes after the loss.

24 hours later...

There you go, always looking forward! Great to know he's in great spirits now and you gotta love to see the positivity.

Much respect to this guy's toughness and character.

War Smilin' Sam Alvey!

Seems likable enough. He's obviously a good fighter, but probably not UFC level any longer. I'm shocked he's made it as far as he has, but I can't imagine it getting much better for him. He's probably going to be sub .500 even if they feed him low rank and newcomers. Oh well. Hope he gets one more fight.

Hes on quite the rough skid but I always enjoy watching Alvey

Nice guy but his chin seems shakier than it used to be to me, as a guy who relies on getting in firefights to win that's a bit worrying imo.

Sam is really unathletic and subpar as a fighter but part of his skill set are elite.

His chin is/was elite (obviously eroded a bit now) and his lead check hook is brutal

Last edited:
Sam is a cool guy, would like to have a beer with him. But I'd school him on always putting his back on the fence, he does it every fight from the very first second, it limits him so much, horrific tactic, I'd give him the good le fashioned sherdogger advise for a pro fighter. He needs it to be honest. Beers will be on him I guess

Extremely heavy hands and always tries to force his opponent into a fire fight.
Fan friendly style but not elite in any facet of the game. A dangerous albeit limited gatekeeper.

Great guy, I think he knew that if he didnt win, he would be out, thats why he got emotional.
At least he got some cheese.

I think he has a few fights at Bellator left in him.
How good would it be, if he turned up to his next fight, jacked!

He's only 34, so if his heart is still in it and has enough time everyday away from his 5 kids to hone his skill set, he might go on a run in another organization before returning to UFC. Or they may keep him in the UFC... he's got a lot of knockouts on his resume, and always smilin'. He might be one of those who would benefit from a 195 lb division. People always comment about a 165 lb division, but the 20 lb difference between MW and LHW is greater than that between LW and WW. If you didn't know, now you know.

Back