a lot of people claim that Jose Aldo didn't "fight like himself" against Conor

<TrumpWrong1>

I'm not saying small nuances don't make a difference in exchanges.
Of course they do. I never denied that.
I just said that doesn't disprove the OP.
Which it clearly doesnt.

And if you agree that there are exploitable aspects of Aldo's game that can be taken advantage of by opponents with a specific skill set (Conor) then we are in agreement because that's all I've been saying.

He has a certain style that was displayed in the multiple clips in OP that Conor is able to easily read and counter.

I don't have to be a pro boxer to see that.
I love when people in here try to assert that no one that hasn't fought in a cage can possibly have a valid point to make.
Fake ass MMA snobs are annoying.

The thing is that you don't understand the speed or distancing or angles that take place in a fight. When you counter a statement that uses actual breakdown with an abstract blanket, it removes legitimacy even though you might be right in a way. You can be right for the wrong reasons.

The thing is that you don't understand the speed or distancing or angles that take place in a fight. When you counter a statement that uses actual breakdown with an abstract blanket, it removes legitimacy even though you might be right in a way. You can be right for the wrong reasons.

I do understand speed,distancing and angles that take place in a fight.

I just didn't think my point had anything to do with that.
It was more about Aldo's style and how Conor was able to read him because Aldo has thrown combos like that in every fight.
Yes I agree maybe not in the same exact way but definitely in a similar fashion.
No need of over complicate.

Aldo did gauge the distance and timing, it was quick but he did ...

No, it takes a good half a round at least to properly gauge the timing, range and rhythm of a high level opponent.

When you hear Rogan or Stann talking about a "feeling out" period or process, that's what they're referring to. Often it will take an entire round, especially with the likes of the Aldo who entered the cage to fight Conor. Inside the first 15 seconds you're just gambling if you're going at it like Aldo did against Conor. Or like Rockhold did against Bisping. Or like Werdum did against Stipe. Etc, etc, etc.

And that's something the Aldo of 2015 just didn't do. In fact he, like GSP, was widely known to be exactly the opposite of that. This is why the two of them were criticized regularly by many fans for being "over-cautious". You've been a Sherdogger since at least 2005. You don't need me to remind you of that.

You're on the money when you say "sometimes those strikes are best to throw early as they are unexpected and your opponent doesnt have his timing down yet" of course but that just hasn't been the Jose Aldo way for a long, long time (since Cub, more than half a career ago), hence the "not himself" type comments from professional analysts including even the Conor-adoring Jack Slack.

Jose kicked like a fighting chicken, fought like a kicking chicken. He did not look like himself and Conor laid him the fuck out.

No, it takes a good half a round at least to properly gauge the timing, range and rhythm of a high level opponent.

When you hear Rogan or Stann talking about a "feeling out" period or process, that's what they're referring to. Often it will take an entire round, especially with the likes of the Aldo who entered the cage to fight Conor. Inside the first 15 seconds you're just gambling if you're going at it like Aldo did against Conor. Or like Rockhold did against Bisping. Or like Werdum did against Stipe. Etc, etc, etc.

And that's something the Aldo of 2015 just didn't do. In fact he, like GSP, was widely known to be exactly the opposite of that. This is why the two of them were criticized regularly by many fans for being "over-cautious". You've been a Sherdogger since at least 2005. You don't need me to remind you of that.

You're on the money when you say "sometimes those strikes are best to throw early as they are unexpected and your opponent doesnt have his timing down yet" of course but that just hasn't been the Jose Aldo way for a long, long time (since Cub, more than half a career ago), hence the "not himself" type comments from professional analysts including even the Conor-adoring Jack Slack.

It does take that long when he's gonna be exexuted a complilation of strikes to get his entire rythem down. But Aldo was trying to do that, he was tyrin to land a solid left hook KO shot. I think he was trying to catch Mcgregor of guard and surprise him.

Have a look at Aldo vs Mendes 2 which was 2014/2015 Aldo...he fought just as risky in that fight and was very aggressive in the opening minute and round. Against Edgar 2 he was cautious and fought patient. Bottom line is that he took a risk and it didnt pay off........he took one vs Swanson and knocked him out. Those are 50/50 shots that can go either way.....high risk/high reward/high consequences.

I thought it was a good attack and he landed......he was good but McGregor was just slightly better.

Yeah yeah he definitely wasnt fighting like himself because he usually doesn't fall down unconscious 13 seconds into the first round...hmm must've been an off night.

Aldo himself admitted that what he did was normal and expected. He pointed out that it has worked for him before too. He was absolutely himself that day and it simply wasn't good enough.

"Everybody said I rushed when I decided to attack him, that I never did that before," he said. "But I already won in seven seconds before, how did I rush now?"

"I went to do something traditional in a fight between a right-handed and a southpaw," he explained. "I threw a hand in his chest and a cross on top. He had done two attacks before and I went for a normal attack. He had the merit to land a good punch, but I didn't rush anything or was angry."

"Everybody said I was too angry. Angry about what? I'm always cool in there. I go in there to do what I trained. I trained that. I threw a hand in his chest and then a cross," Aldo continued. "I thought about throwing a kick earlier but I thought no, he prepared something for the kick, for sure."

"I threw a boxing combination, which is normal for those who understand about fighting. He managed to get out and connect a good punch that caught me off base and finished the fight."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/1/2...cgregor-if-it-connected-completely-it-wouldve

only thing that didn´t happen "like himself" is that he was nervous / afraid

I do understand speed,distancing and angles that take place in a fight.

I just didn't think my point had anything to do with that.
It was more about Aldo's style and how Conor was able to read him because Aldo has thrown combos like that in every fight.
Yes I agree maybe not in the same exact way but definitely in a similar fashion.
No need of over complicate.

By that logic, Conor relies on many of the same combinations and should be easy to time and counter. Just saying, the guy who gave you the breakdown gave good information and you determined it was wrong with no real explanation as to why. It gave off the impression that you don't know what you're talking about at a very fundamental level.

It does take that long when he's gonna be exexuted a complilation of strikes to get his entire rythem down. But Aldo was trying to do that, he was tyrin to land a solid left hook KO shot. I think he was trying to catch Mcgregor of guard and surprise him.

Have a look at Aldo vs Mendes 2 which was 2014/2015 Aldo...he fought just as risky in that fight and was very aggressive in the opening minute and round. Against Edgar 2 he was cautious and fought patient. Bottom line is that he took a risk and it didnt pay off........he took one vs Swanson and knocked him out. Those are 50/50 shots that can go either way.....high risk/high reward/high consequences.

I thought it was a good attack and he landed......he was good but McGregor was just slightly better.

No, Aldo didn't throw anything with that level of risk, or that level of technical dodginess, in the first round of his rematch with Chad, hence fans and professional analysts saying they were surprised to see Aldo fight the way he did against Conor.

Everyone agrees that "he was trying to catch McGregor of guard and surprise him", that much is obvious. What's also obvious to people who had watched Aldo's career closely was that to 1) overextend and 2) act so rashly so early in the fight were uncharacteristic of Jose Aldo's style by 2015.

Aldo disrespected Conor's skill and power and he paid a high price for that disrespect. Anyone who believes Conor is a threat to them doesn't fight Conor the way Aldo fought him.

the fight lasted like 10 seconds; neither guy was even warmed up. It was a great counter by Conor; but he caught Aldo cold.

Aldo himself admitted that what he did was normal and expected. He pointed out that it has worked for him before too. He was absolutely himself that day and it simply wasn't good enough.

And Conor himself said Dana and Lorenzo had put him back on UFC-200. And that he was retired.

If you prefer to live in a fairytale world where you believe you can blindly take fighters at their word then you do you buddy. Others prefer to take a rational and critical look at the game.

then how you explain this? Aldo rushing in chin first with the same sloppy wild brawling combo against Mark Hominick and Kenny Florian:

1.gif
Jose_Aldo_vs._Mark_Hominick_5.gif

note the inability to counter due to shitty footwork on the part of Hominick and Florian.

when he tried it against someone that can box:
HB9zBd.gif

Truth of the matter is Jose Aldo fought EXACTLY like himself and he got wrecked for it.
Jose was literally BEGGING to be countered his entire career. Anyone with good boxing would have SLEPT small sloppy kickboxer down flat much earlier in his career.

Guys Aldo was always going to get Ko d. Conor hands better than Aldo's

This is normal for Conir to Ko featherweights

No, Aldo didn't throw anything with that level of risk, or that level of technical dodginess, in the first round of his rematch with Chad, hence fans and professional analysts saying they were surprised to see Aldo fight the way he did against Conor.

Everyone agrees that "he was trying to catch McGregor of guard and surprise him", that much is obvious. What's also obvious to people who had watched Aldo's career closely was that to 1) overextend and 2) act so rashly so early in the fight were uncharacteristic of Jose Aldo's style by 2015.

Aldo disrespected Conor's skill and power and he paid a high price for that disrespect. Anyone who believes Conor is a threat to them doesn't fight Conor the way Aldo fought him.

Well he did throw almost the same combo except he went to the body and did throw a lead uppercut and got wacked and knocked down with a counter.....maybe not as risky but certainly along the same lines. Although Chad was shorter and has a 8 inch shorter reach so its certainly less risky.

I agree thats its uncharacteristic of Aldo in his past fights as I pointed out earlier. But I get why threw the strike and it makes sense to me, I dont see it as a mistake. I've watched that replay about 100 times by now and still am surprised how close those strikes were to each other time wise. Both guys essentially connected but Conor connected a split second earlier and a bit more precise. The other reason why I dont criticize Aldo for this and think its good strike is that there is nothing Aldo could have really done later in the fight to make that sequence work better for him. He could have waited and set up differently etc but the risk of that counter shot would still be there 3 mins or 2 rounds later. I just see that as a attack the works best at the time he threw it rather than later. And back to my other point.....its not like he missed....he actually connected hard. I think rather than it being a mistake and Conor connecting I see it as Aldo throwing a landing a good strike and Conor just landing a better one.

Thats my take on it.

Like Conor said, a guy gets to the top, becomes complacent, stops evolving. Against Frankie, we just saw a good old version of Aldo, and I feel f this version shows up against Conor he gets wrekt again.

Well he didn't fight like himself. Generally he fights longer than 13 seconds.

Actually he gave aldo an instant rematch aldo turned it down sorry but Conor's world doesn't revolve around aldo he's moved on to bigger and better things.

Yeah bigger and better things. Like cherry picking Diaz only to get choked out by the WW GOAT behemoth that you Conor fanboys use to justify his loss lmao.

then how you explain this? Aldo rushing in chin first with the same sloppy wild brawling combo against Mark Hominick and Kenny Florian:

1.gif
Jose_Aldo_vs._Mark_Hominick_5.gif

note the inability to counter due to shitty footwork on the part of Hominick and Florian.

when he tried it against someone that can box:
HB9zBd.gif

Truth of the matter is Jose Aldo fought EXACTLY like himself and he got wrecked for it.
Jose was literally BEGGING to be countered his entire career. Anyone with good boxing would have SLEPT small sloppy kickboxer down flat much earlier in his career.

Fuck you....but this is some pretty fucking damning evidence. And everyone on here knows how much i fucking hate conor.
Conor also got into his head. Lastly, jose didnt listen to his corner either from what i heard.

The hominic gif looked ok tho.

Back