a lot of people claim that Jose Aldo didn't "fight like himself" against Conor

skullmaskkid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
then how you explain this? Aldo rushing in chin first with the same sloppy wild brawling combo against Mark Hominick and Kenny Florian:

1.gif
Jose_Aldo_vs._Mark_Hominick_5.gif

note the inability to counter due to shitty footwork on the part of Hominick and Florian.

when he tried it against someone that can box:
HB9zBd.gif

Truth of the matter is Jose Aldo fought EXACTLY like himself and he got wrecked for it.
Jose was literally BEGGING to be countered his entire career. Anyone with good boxing would have SLEPT small sloppy kickboxer down flat much earlier in his career.

Conor was ready and just SLEPT him.

Jose was with the angels for a good while after that KO.

He fought like himself. Conor is just another level of striker that he has never faced. Can't get away with those slight mistakes.

I don't buy it either. Conor caught him and that was it.

If you noticed in those fights Aldo hadn't developed a jab like he did in subsequent fights starting with the Edgar fight. Also those were at points in the fight where he felt comfortable throwing combos like that. When have you ever seen Jose start fights off throwing combos like that?

He made a career off beating people who were grapplers with minimal striking.

Well duh. Instead of leg kicking (and doing other fine shit in the process) he got Ko'ed in 13 seconds.

Aldo said it was a combo he normally throws all the time.

I think emotionally he came in too hot-headed. That was the edge that Conor needed for him to make a mistake, and he made it early. Excuses will be made because the fight didn't even last a minute, but he was beaten soundly and there's not much more you can say.

You can throw those combos when you have guys timing and reactions and know you can get away with it. Not so much as the first combo after standing directly in front of each other for 10 seconds with no feints or side movement. Chad threw plenty of sloppy shots at Conor and didn't get countered.

i want to see aldo vs mcgregor 2 badly, just because i know it has the potential to be a crazy fight. or maybe he gets flatlined again, but i wouldve liked to see a wild 2-3 round war.

That's hilarious. They picked that up from all 13 seconds.

By the way... it's not like Conor waz practicing that same move in the locker room just prior because Jose never fought that way! lol... Great clips TS! No one can say that no moe !!!!!

Funny how McGregor doesn't seem to be in a hurry for an instant rematch.
Actually he gave aldo an instant rematch aldo turned it down sorry but Conor's world doesn't revolve around aldo he's moved on to bigger and better things.

He was throwing a combo that he has thrown a million times before, which is itself, "Fighting like himself." Whether he should have thrown that particular combo so aggressively and early on is where the question comes in, and is what people are probably referring to. He probably should have started slow with jabs and low kicks or body kicks, but he began recklessly instead. That may have been influenced by Conor's head games, and that approach would probably change in a rematch. I'm not sure the outcome would be any different though. Conor dropped him so easily that it's hard for me to believe Aldo could survive Conor's shots again......

Back