a lot of people claim that Jose Aldo didn't "fight like himself" against Conor

You legit have never dedicated yourself to learning striking.

Striking IS the game of inches. Your foot being a few inches to one direction or another can open or close alot of oppertunities. You are a fucking bullshitter and a moron.

Holy fuk.
Again the original point was correct that Aldo has used very similar combos before in fights. Aggressive, leaning forward,lack of defense.

In no way was the Conor fight out of character for him whatsoever.

That fact is undeniable.

You can talk about an inch here or an inch there all you want. It doesn't change the fact that Aldo fights in a very predictable traditional style and was easy for Conor to read.

Aldo would have thrown a similar combo in the fight and got slept eventually the same exact way.

Thats his style and Conor eats that shit up.
And I don't have to dedicate my whole life to learning striking to see that. It's obvious to anyone who isn't trying to make excuses for Aldo.
Get over it.

I don't care what you want to call it.
If you get finished in 13 seconds you don't deserve another title shot for at least a few fights.

then how you explain this? Aldo rushing in chin first with the same sloppy wild brawling combo against Mark Hominick and Kenny Florian:

1.gif
Jose_Aldo_vs._Mark_Hominick_5.gif

note the inability to counter due to shitty footwork on the part of Hominick and Florian.

when he tried it against someone that can box:
HB9zBd.gif

Truth of the matter is Jose Aldo fought EXACTLY like himself and he got wrecked for it.
Jose was literally BEGGING to be countered his entire career. Anyone with good boxing would have SLEPT small sloppy kickboxer down flat much earlier in his career.
Wow Jose has shrunk drastically

If you noticed in those fights Aldo hadn't developed a jab like he did in subsequent fights starting with the Edgar fight. Also those were at points in the fight where he felt comfortable throwing combos like that. When have you ever seen Jose start fights off throwing combos like that?
No Conor threw a subtle feint with his right and Jose took the bait

Holy fuk.
Again the original point was correct that Aldo has used very similar combos before in fights. Aggressive, leaning forward,lack of defense.

In no way was the Conor fight out of character for him whatsoever.

That fact is undeniable.

You can talk about an inch here or an inch there all you want. It doesn't change the fact that Aldo fights in a very predictable traditional style and was easy for Conor to read.

Aldo would have thrown a similar combo in the fight and got slept eventually the same exact way.

Thats his style and Conor eats that shit up.
And I don't have to dedicate my whole life to learning striking to see that. It's obvious to anyone who isn't trying to make excuses for Aldo.
Get over it.

I dont care what bullshit you spout about Aldo or Mcgregor.

You haven't trained or sparred in any helpful way to you at all or you would know an inch in the wrong direction is an L. And you tried to act like you knew what you're talking about when in reality you are trying to make a technical breakdown/explanation without any useful former or current training meaning its coming straight out of your ass.

Plain and simple.

The point I made was that his post about "nuances" didn't change the fact that those clips still showed a similar style of aggressive striking with holes in Aldos defense.
His "nuances" did not disprove the OP.

Sorry that wasn't technical enough for you.

The technical nuances make all the difference, actually. Angles and footwork determine whether aggression is reckless or potent. Your inability to identify these things does not lend credence to your opinion.

However, I do agree that there are exploitable aspects to Jose's striking that can be taken advantage of by opponents with a specific skill set.

Wow Jose has shrunk drastically

Yeah i remember when his cardio was an issue and cutting the weight was hard on him. He mentioned 155 often.

He said 155 was inevitable because his body was still growing but i guess he cleaned up his diet or got new cutting methods. I wonder what helped him become so lean in matter of a few fights.

Did Aldo fight like himself?? It is true that he never opens up throwing combos like that and usually sets things up more patiently with his jab, leg kicks and counters. However, Aldo is fighter and like any good fighter when he sees an opening he will take it. And that is exactly what Aldo did, he saw an opening and attacked like any fighter should at that moment. So its irrelevant whether Aldo has been aggressive like that in all his prior fights because he did the right attack in this fight.

I personally dont see it as a mistake by Aldo or a wrong strategy. He saw Conor's right extended and the right side open and backing up so he attacked with a fake and left hook. If you watch the slomo reply you can see the punch land and with solid impact. Only thing is that Conor read it and countered with his own well timed counter and landed.

Two guys both threw the right strikes and one guy was just better with his timing and precision to land the more effective one at the time. No mistake by Aldo here or way to start the fight. When you have two guys at this elite level of striking, its cm's and fractions of seconds that make the difference. No one at FW would have countered that like Conor did....you gotta be superb to counter a fast attack like that.

Last edited:

This pic does nothing. Nate lost the rematch. Touched the floor with his butt many times. What's next Ronda being kicked. Doesn't win arguments, because it happens to everybody eventually.

Did Aldo fight like himself?? It is true that he never opens up throwing combos like that and usually sets things up more patiently with his jab, leg kicks and counters. However, Aldo is fighter and like any good fighter when he sees an opening he will take it. And that is exactly what Aldo did, he saw an opening and attacked like any fighter should at that moment. So its irrelevant whether Aldo has been aggressive like that in all his prior fights because he did the right attack in this fight.

I personally dont see it as a mistake by Aldo or a wrong strategy. He saw Conor's left extended and the left side open and backing up so he attacked with a fake and left hook. If you watch the slomo reply you can see the punch land and with solid impact. Only thing is that Conor read it and countered with his own well timed counter and landed.

Two guys both threw the right strikes and one guy was just better with his timing and precision to land the more effective one at the time. No mistake by Aldo here or way to start the fight. When you have two guys at this elite level of striking, its cm's and fractions of seconds that make the difference. No one at FW would have countered that like Conor did....you gotta be superb to counter a fast attack like that.

It's a mistake to make that move on what appears to be an opening before taking time to properly gauge an opponent's timing, range and rhythm so as to better judge whether it is a legit opening or a trap. A mistake which was very, very uncharacteristic for 2015 Aldo, who hadn't opened a fight in that manner since he'd fought Cub, more than half a career's worth of development ago.

It's also a mistake to overextend, something he had also done earlier in his career but developed out of.

Nobody who understands Jose Aldo expected him to do both of those things because we'd all seen the experienced, battle-tested Jose Aldo of 2015 develop and evolve a game which closed down those opportunities for opponents. A Jose Aldo who fights "like himself" simply doesn't give an opponent those gifts.

I never noticed, but it looks like Homininck catches him with the exact same counter too.
Just didn't have much power behind it.
That's the same left body shot that got Chuck Liddell's battleship sunk against Rampage, although Aldo was in a slightly better position when he threw it. Liddell's coach said he had been telling him for years not to throw that body shot without setting it up first, but Chuck had gotten away with throwing it like that a lot and didn't listen.

"Fight like himself" is basically a fan's way of saying "The guy I like didn't win."

Aldo didn't win, therefore he didn't fight like himself.

Also, you could say this about anyone who's ever lost ANY fight for the most part.

"Palhares didn't fight like himself against Belcher, if he fought like himself he'd have leglocked the shit out of him."

I dont care what bullshit you spout about Aldo or Mcgregor.

You haven't trained or sparred in any helpful way to you at all or you would know an inch in the wrong direction is an L. And you tried to act like you knew what you're talking about when in reality you are trying to make a technical breakdown/explanation without any useful former or current training meaning its coming straight out of your ass.

Plain and simple.
<TrumpWrong1>
The technical nuances make all the difference, actually. Angles and footwork determine whether aggression is reckless or potent. Your inability to identify these things does not lend credence to your opinion.

However, I do agree that there are exploitable aspects to Jose's striking that can be taken advantage of by opponents with a specific skill set.

I'm not saying small nuances don't make a difference in exchanges.
Of course they do. I never denied that.
I just said that doesn't disprove the OP.
Which it clearly doesnt.

And if you agree that there are exploitable aspects of Aldo's game that can be taken advantage of by opponents with a specific skill set (Conor) then we are in agreement because that's all I've been saying.

He has a certain style that was displayed in the multiple clips in OP that Conor is able to easily read and counter.

I don't have to be a pro boxer to see that.
I love when people in here try to assert that no one that hasn't fought in a cage can possibly have a valid point to make.
Fake ass MMA snobs are annoying.

conor beat the best aldo. aldo was going in there to finish in the first. he was ferocious and tenacious. conor is just a little too much for aldo.

It's a mistake to make that move on what appears to be an opening before taking time to properly gauge an opponent's timing, range and rhythm so as to better judge whether it is a legit opening or a trap. A mistake which was very, very uncharacteristic for 2015 Aldo, who hadn't opened a fight in that manner since he'd fought Cub, more than half a career's worth of development ago.

It's also a mistake to overextend, something he had also done earlier in his career but developed out of.

Nobody who understands Jose Aldo expected him to do both of those things because we'd all seen the experienced, battle-tested Jose Aldo of 2015 develop and evolve a game which closed down those opportunities for opponents. A Jose Aldo who fights "like himself" simply doesn't give an opponent those gifts.

Aldo did gauge the distance and timing, it was quick but he did. Conor opened with a straight left that missed and Aldo tried to counter with a left hook, after Conor threw a side kick you can tell Aldo was looking for that strike. Its not like he just threw it out of nowhere.....watch the sequence after the side kick....both guys are moving in/out and Aldo is looking for an opening to throw that left hook once Conor dropped his right hand and once that happened Aldo attacked. It was a well timed attack cause it actually connected pretty hard on Conor......only problem for Aldo was that Conor was a split second better. Sometimes those strikes are best to throw early as they are unexpected and your opponent doesnt have his timing down yet. Aldo did almost everything right but Conor just reacted better.

And yes Aldo does leave those openings and fight like that, he did exactly that in his last fight prior to Conor against Mendes. Watch the opening exchanges....30 seconds into the fight Aldo throws that fake and left to Chads body and was open and right after that he throws a lead uppercut and gets countered and knocked down.

Last edited:
Back