A log by MIDMO

It smells like cop in here.

beyonce_knowles_if_i_were_a_boy.jpg

I never thought that Dennis Franz would make an apperance in my log

Since the cop didn't show up with a boom box and say the words "I'm here to arrest you.......for being too sexy" and start taking off her shirt. I have to assume the party is getting busted and its time to call an end to the holiday festives. I'll be gone for the next week and a half and although I may update the lifting in my log I won't be around.

I'll be debuting my new lower program's "B" day on Monday and its "A" day on Friday.

Happy Chanukah, or Merry Christmas to you all.

I did some number crunching on my dead lift. Inspired by Devil's 225x27 bench I wanted to see what kind of volume numbers I would need to be in the 500 range. You ask yourself why 500 deadlift when there are so many other worthy goals, and the answer is simple, you can't curl 500 until you can pick 500 up off the floor. Although most calculators are not real accurate with deadlifts it gives me an idea.

The next progession on what I'm doing now could either be a +10 or like I did last time a +20 which would put me right at 405. So I used 405 as my weight and just sort of guessed the reps to put me in range.

the calculator I used was this one because it was first on google

Predicting One-rep Max

405 x 7 = 486

405 x 8 = 503

405 x 9 = 521

then I jumped to 455

455x3=482

455x4=496

whats this mean, well absolutely nothing, but to me its intresting. I think I would have a shot at 405x7/8 and think its probable if I was using straps and TnG.

Which brings me to the other question I have, How much benifit is there from switching from TnG to a complete reset for deadlifts and which is perferable if no one cares about noise and such in the gym your in?

I treat all my deads as singles. So if I'm doing a set of 5, I reset between each rep. I do this because I want each rep to be the same & when I was doing TnG anything past rep 2 was a little sloppy.

Here's an article where the guy talks about doing all singles: Train The Deadlift

I currently do all mine as complete resets as well. I had to get or not being able to do as many but now its just normal to me to stand back up then regrip the bar.

Dec 28

Kb swings
50*15
70*8

Front squat
45*5
95*5
135*5
185*5*3
155*5

Squat
225*3*3

Deads
225*3
275*2
315*1
365*1

Front squat 155*5*3

All in about 35 minutes.

Dec 30th

Bench
135*5
185*4
225*3
255*1
275*1*5
275*2
225*5*3

Hs low pull
180*6
230*6*3

Z press
95*5
115*5*3

Curls
80*8*3
W/
dips
bw+55*8*3

Reverse grip curl
60*15*2

Need 4 singles on bench, hit 5 plus a double. Added a complete set to low row. Dips were rough.

Jan 1st

Curls
85*8*5

Hammer curls
30*8*3

1:30 between sets filled with shadow boxing. Need to get back to boxing.

The lifting related question I have today is how important is it to move the weights/reps up while doing assistance after a primary movement. Although I've been adding reps to my assistance recently. If you always do your assistance after your primary movement won't the increasing work load of the primary movement function to make the assistance more difficult in and of itself without and although ideally you would want to increase the work load on it as well is it alway nessacary?

^ That is a good question, I would also like to hear some opinions on this.

Btw, I did drag curls today. Would you consider that a proper way to start the year?

If you always do your assistance after your primary movement won't the increasing work load of the primary movement function to make the assistance more difficult in and of itself
Well, ideally, your strength is increasing as your weight on your primary movement increases. So you (again, ideally) will be working at roughly the same percentage of your maximum work capacity.

Now, this won't be true in the short term with a lot of the programs out there that work in waves, but unless you program your assistance to follow the same wave, it will still hold true in the long(er) term.

That was just a bunch of shit I spewed out off the top of my head, but I believe it to be true.

But it's just assistance, so it's nothing to lose sleep over. I just think that overall, you want to be sure you're adding resistance (or volume) to your assistance lifts, even if it's not every every session.

And as anecdotal evidence, I've found that when I keep my assistance numbers increasing, it tends to be when I make my best gains overall.

^ That is a good question, I would also like to hear some opinions on this.

Btw, I did drag curls today. Would you consider that a proper way to start the year?

Drag curls are the proper way to begin or end a year, month, week or even day.

Well, ideally, your strength is increasing as your weight on your primary movement increases. So you (again, ideally) will be working at roughly the same percentage of your maximum work capacity.

Now, this won't be true in the short term with a lot of the programs out there that work in waves, but unless you program your assistance to follow the same wave, it will still hold true in the long(er) term.

That was just a bunch of shit I spewed out off the top of my head, but I believe it to be true.

But it's just assistance, so it's nothing to lose sleep over. I just think that overall, you want to be sure you're adding resistance (or volume) to your assistance lifts, even if it's not every every session.

And as anecdotal evidence, I've found that when I keep my assistance numbers increasing, it tends to be when I make my best gains overall.

That's sort of what I've been doing adding a rep here and a lb there.

Dec 3

KB SWings
50*15
70*6*3

Deads
225*3
315*2
365*1
415*1*2
365*2*7

Deficit 1 plate
315*5*3

Needed to take a look at my deads so I did the 91% singles. Inconsistent set up and a little lower back rounding on the break. Dropped intensity a hair after to make up the differnce. Deficits were rough.

Bench
135*5
185*5
225*5
245*5*3
225*3*3

Hs low row
190*6
240*6*3

Curls
80*8
90*6
100*4
110*5(+1)

Coughed on last rep.of 245 and choked Almost lost it as I was gagging while trying to push the weight. Moved up weight on row since I was too lazy to go grab a pair of 45s from across the gym and just used a bunch of 25s

Curls
80*8
90*6
100*4
110*5(+1)

What kinds of curls were they? How did they feel? Technique issues? Form issues? Tell us what we want to hear.

BTW, did you see this magnificent display of pure athleticism?

Somehow it hasn't been posted yet in the "Strength and Power Highlight Videos" thread.

Back