A good kick boxer/muay thai fighter could beat the karate Wonderboy Thompson

dojo.png

Didn't Matt Brown crush this dude with very very basic Muay Thai a little while ago???

Did you just read about the fight or did you watch it? Brown won with takedowns and that also was much earlier in Thompson's MMA career.

I actually would like to see a rematch. Thompson needs to neutralize that L and now he has the TDD to do it.

Hendricks lost because he tried to do what everyone else assumes they can make work against guys with unorthodox (for MMA) movement and range, which is to try to impose their standard wrestelbox game.

No one has attacked Wonderboy's stance, which does have weaknesses. I think if top fighters start actively game planning to exploit WB's weaknesses, then you'll see those holes open up and WB suddenly having a harder time, much like Machida.

Côté Attacked Wonderboys legs SIGNIFICANTLY in that fight and it didn't stop Wonderboy from schooling him. Hendricks also tried a few leg kicks, but wonderboy continuously countered them.

Last edited:
Just because your stance is wide does not mean you are susceptible to low kicks. Did you see how fast he moved in and out of the pocket? My guess is that a guy with a heavy low-kick game would hardly - if ever - find Thompson's legs.

The same uneducated fans push this narrative with McGregor - another guy that will never struggle with low-kicks in an MMA fight.

Watch côté vs wonderboy, côté landed A LOT of leg kicks, but it didn't really matter. Also notice the adjustments that wonderboy made in round two. It's almost as if people who are talking about him struggling with leg kicks haven't really seen his fights; he's dealth with them plenty of times before.

A prime Alves could give him trouble. Maybe Condit if he fought smart. Legkicks would be his weakness (same as McGregrors) but I dont see many people in the division exposing his striking.

Watch côté vs wonderboy, côté landed A LOT of leg kicks, but it didn't really matter. Also notice the adjustments that wonderboy made in round two. It's almost as if people who are talking about him struggling with leg kicks haven't really seen his fights; he's dealth with them plenty of times before.

No one is saying it is easy, and if you don't think landing proper thai style legkicks will be significant then I do not know what to tell you. I would probably advise you to take up Muay Thai.

No one is saying it is easy, and if you don't think landing proper thai style legkicks will be significant then I do not know what to tell you. I would probably advise you to take up Muay Thai.

I'm saying that it's been tried already and people are acting like he's never had to deal with it before. Cote landed a lot of really good leg kicks, but come round two wonderboy timed them with a counter right or slid out of the way. Hendricks tried leg kicks, but Wonderboy timed them with a counter. Why are people making conjectures about how he will deal with leg kicks when we've already seen him shut down those gameplans more than once?

I'm saying that it's been tried already and people are acting like he's never had to deal with it before. Cote landed a lot of really good leg kicks, but come round two wonderboy timed them with a counter right or slid out of the way. Hendricks tried leg kicks, but Wonderboy timed them with a counter. Why are people making conjectures about how he will deal with leg kicks when we've already seen him shut down those gameplans more than once?

I understand your point but neither of those fighters are well rounded muay thai (or kyokushin) fighters. I could go in and try to leg kick him. Just because I fail doesnt mean a decent striker couldnt.

People said Machida would never be out struck and that boxing/muay thai/whatever is now obsolete. Then Shogun v Machida 1 happened.

I understand your point but neither of those fighters are well rounded muay thai (or kyokushin) fighters. I could go in and try to leg kick him. Just because I fail doesnt mean a decent striker couldnt.

People said Machida would never be out struck and that boxing/muay thai/whatever is now obsolete. Then Shogun v Machida 1 happened.

In terms of the Welterweight divsion, I can only think of 2-3 active fighters who are better muay thai kickers than Côté, but that speaks more about the lack of kickers in the division than it does about Côtés skill. I do think that Côté is greatly underestimated around here though.

Who could possibly even try to execute a leg kick heavy game plan against Wonderboy at WW? Condit? Tarec? Alves is practically done, or moving to LW.

If there was a bunch of WW Aldos and barbozas around, then I'd be a bit more worried.

LoL. We all realized the mixed part of MMAnlong ago....... I thought. :oops:

The UFC need to get Michael Venum Page signed, that would be the highest level striking match up in UFC's history.

Even in Thailand they teach multiple widths of stances. You just usually see them keep a narrow less mobile stance in traditional muay thai fights because that's the one that you can kick the hardest from and they like kicking the living shit out of each other and seeing who starts backing down first. They're insane.

The glaring weakness of Okinawa karate styles (excluding Kyukushin) is low roundhouse kicks. Anyone that has trained in/studied the history of striking arts with an open mind knows this.

You seldom see straight karate guys engage in traditional Muay Thai bouts, the smaller space/exclusion of throws greatly reduces the effectiveness of karate.

However in my opinion I think karate teaches far better footwork and distancing. Karate is also a "quicker" art. No wind-up step to its kicks. Karate also excels in fast straight punches, something you risk the counter of when you throw the leg kick. Karate also places a huge emphasis on counter striking.

Some people still can't accept new striking arts being accepted into MMA as an effective striking option. Some still want to cling to Muay Thai and Boxing being the only useful striking arts in MMA.

GSP said Thompson is the fastest striker he's ever seen. Zahabi said he's the best striker he's ever seen in his gym.

No striking art is perfect/complete.

His karate stance is vulnerable for low kicks too bad there aren't many great low kickers in ww division
It's so funny when a karate guy have sucess in ufc while in kick boxing matches they get their ass kicked

???

K-1 had lots of karate based champions and standouts. They even had this event called Ichigeki, where they matched up kyokushin karate guys with other stand-up fighters from K-1. Karate won 4-3.

It's rock paper scissor's Muay Thai beats karate.

Wrestling beats Muay Thai.

Karate beats wrestling.

I'm not saying it works out like that 100% of the time but it does a lot of the time.

This is the short-sightedness that I was referring to. We are no longer discussing the interaction between a pure thai boxer and a pure karate fighter. Those "rock-paper-scissors" relationships are null and void.

What you fail to grasp is that traditional MT practicioners would cover up from punches and kicks...they won't avoid it, they would rely on blocking the shots and punches. Wonderboy doesn't stay in one place. He delivers a strike then moves out of danger. He will make them miss a low kick and darts in for a counter straight...he's going to tee off maybe 2-3 punches then be gone...

Moot point comparing the 2. Just because that Karateka was a black belt doesn't mean he's an awesome black belt...there are shitty black belts too....
I mean. Black magic spencer is suppose to be a golden gloves champ isn't he?

Back