A good kick boxer/muay thai fighter could beat the karate Wonderboy Thompson

great choice with Sakmongkol video though.

he was a badass. fucked up Ramon Dekkers at 19 years old:

He just KO'd the #2 ranked UFC WW in the world and is on his way to a title shot.. Lol at a vulnerable stance. He made the change to MMA and is now a #1 contender. I guess all those shitty karate ruled matches didn't help at all.

Hendricks lost because he tried to do what everyone else assumes they can make work against guys with unorthodox (for MMA) movement and range, which is to try to impose their standard wrestelbox game.

No one has attacked Wonderboy's stance, which does have weaknesses. I think if top fighters start actively game planning to exploit WB's weaknesses, then you'll see those holes open up and WB suddenly having a harder time, much like Machida.

His karate stance is vulnerable for low kicks too bad there aren't many great low kickers in ww division
It's so funny when a karate guy have sucess in ufc while in kick boxing matches they get their ass kicked

Is his stance being vulnerable to low kicks really something you feel the need to gloat about?

A good kickboxer do what Nieky Holzken did to Raymond Daniels.

Someone coming in to low kick wb will be vulnerable to kicks and punches to the face.

It's easy to just say fighter a has this stance and background so he'll lose to fighter b. But it's dumb. Wb is a mma fighter not a karate fighter. He trains against all styles. He's long and he's fluid and he's unique.

And most importantly he's real. Your fighter ts doesn't exist.

Funny. Thompson is 57-0 as a Kickboxer and holds 16 titles. Seriously.

Yup this.

Against who? American kickboxing record doesn't mean much. I try to see who he fights and the only I could find was Raymond Daniels another american karate guy, who got destroyed by Holzken twice.

Karate guy is doing ok againt mma strikers but against elite kickboxer they get destroyed.

what a hater this TS is
Yep, calling him a "Karate guy" is funny. He is an MMA fighter, he cross trains at an extremely high level. Plus he has an outstanding kick boxing career as a stand alone. So the argument about "Karate Guys" having success in the UFC but not in kickboxing is over before it starts.

Yep, calling him a "Karate guy" is funny. He is an MMA fighter, he cross trains at an extremely high level. Plus he has an outstanding kick boxing career as a stand alone. So the argument about "Karate Guys" having success in the UFC but not in kickboxing is over before it starts.
It's not that I am hating but it has been proven that karate style does not work very well in fighting against kick boxers/muay thai fighters because of it's stance movement what ever

Thai boxing's days of dominance in MMA are over. Movement, footwork, stance-switching, etc. compose the new paradigm (and this will continue to be the case).

Just because your stance is wide does not mean you are susceptible to low kicks. Did you see how fast he moved in and out of the pocket? My guess is that a guy with a heavy low-kick game would hardly - if ever - find Thompson's legs.

The same uneducated fans push this narrative with McGregor - another guy that will never struggle with low-kicks in an MMA fight.

It's not that I am hating but it has been proven that karate style does not work very well in fighting against kick boxers/muay thai fighters because of it's stance movement what ever
Wonderboy is a fantastic kick boxer, as well as being a Karate black belt, & a cross trained UFC fighter. So whether you're right, or wrong about "Karate Style" is irrelevant, because Wonderboy is not just a "karate guy"

Against who? American kickboxing record doesn't mean much. I try to see who he fights and the only I could find was Raymond Daniels another american karate guy, who got destroyed by Holzken twice.

Karate guy is doing ok againt mma strikers but against elite kickboxer they get destroyed.

Holzken is a monster and one of the best of the world. No shame in losing to him.

And i frankly think karate (minus kyokushin and its offsprings) works better on larger spaces where it is not so easy to corner a fighter. Not only that but using a smaller glove benefits the karate fighters.

People undermine too much karate. Machida didnt start losing because he was figured out, he started losing because he aged, like any fighter. And the first kind of fighters to go down are the fighters that rely on speed and movement.

Karate had success on kickboxing with Hug ,Filho, Feitosa, Teixeira, Sam Greco, Semmy Schilt and others.
And now it is finding success on the octagon.

I hope some other TMA also start to appear on the big shows, because i am pretty sure that in 90% of martial systems there is something good to use.

A good kickboxer do what Nieky Holzken did to Raymond Daniels.
Calling Holzken a "good" kickboxer is an understatement. He is one of the best nowadays.

And losing to the best doesnt mean your art does not work, quite the contrary.

How would Nicky H do in the cage against UFC WWs? Since you know it all.

How would Nicky H do in the cage against UFC WWs? Since you know it all.

The problem with tradional boxer and kickboxer is that a lot of them rely on gloves for defense, and that is not going to cut on the octagon.
Movement based strikers have more chance of success than strikers that rely on the big pillows for defense.

That said i think Holzken would do pretty good, he doesnt rely much on his pillows.

Someone with a good jab and reach could cause Wonderboy problems (Rory)

Holzken is a monster and one of the best of the world. No shame in losing to him.

And i frankly think karate (minus kyokushin and its offsprings) works better on larger spaces where it is not so easy to corner a fighter. Not only that but using a smaller glove benefits the karate fighters.

People undermine too much karate. Machida didnt start losing because he was figured out, he started losing because he aged, like any fighter. And the first kind of fighters to go down are the fighters that rely on speed and movement.

Karate had success on kickboxing with Hug ,Filho, Feitosa, Teixeira, Sam Greco, Semmy Schilt and others.
And now it is finding success on the octagon.

I hope some other TMA also start to appear on the big shows, because i am pretty sure that in 90% of martial systems there is something good to use.

There is difference between coming from karate background to fight in kickboxing and using karate style in kickboxing. Guys like Thompson and Daniels who fight with karate style get exposed when they fight the top end kickboxers.

There is difference between coming from karate background to fight in kickboxing and using karate style in kickboxing. Guys like Thompson and Daniels who fight with karate style get exposed when they fight the top end kickboxers.
In kickboxing.
Watching Daniels vs Holzken fight tells men that if the same fight happened in an octagon with smaller gloves the outcome would be drastically different.

Back