A good kick boxer/muay thai fighter could beat the karate Wonderboy Thompson

Glnick

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
His karate stance is vulnerable for low kicks too bad there aren't many great low kickers in ww division
It's so funny when a karate guy have sucess in ufc while in kick boxing matches they get their ass kicked

Funny. Thompson is 57-0 as a Kickboxer and holds 16 titles. Seriously.

Someone with a good clinch and elbows would give him a tough fight. Ufc fighters have terrible clinch defense. Imo

Good thing he is fighting MMA then. Those kickboxing/muay thai killers should come over and try it. I bet it would be a walk in the park for them.

Kickboxing doesnt allow lowkicks only above waist and no elbow, no clinch etc... Basically water downed Thai kickboxing

Stephen Thompson competed only in the Full Contact Karate rules (aka, American Kickboxing) divisions, which is exclusively above the waist punching and kicking, with a minimum 8-kick per round rule.

That sideways stance can be very effective in Full Contact, but is of limited utilitity in muay Thai or kickboxing rules divisions that allow for leg kicking.

imo Karate teaches better movement ... from what I see Muay Thai Kickboxers are very stationary alot of the time, making them an easy target

I also get the same feeling with Boxers, they have better movement aswell

Kickboxing doesnt allow lowkicks only above waist and no elbow, no clinch etc... Basically water downed Thai kickboxing

No, "kickboxing" is a term originally coined by the Japanese and internationally used to refer to the style that came to be known as K-1, international rules or Oriental rules. The leg kicks came from Kyokushin and is no more watered down muay Thai than boxing is watered down kickboxing.

In North America, the term was later used by people to describe North American Full Contact Karate, which has a completely separate genesis.

You're thinking of American Kickboxing, I think TS was referring too the Japanese(K-1) or European(Glory/Enfusion) style Kickboxing, which allows low kicks, knees and limited clinching.

imo Karate teaches better movement ... from what I see Muay Thai Kickboxers are very stationary alot of the time, making them an easy target

I also get the same feeling with Boxers, they have better movement aswell
16 titles yet no one knows him in kickboxing and muay thai community lol he probably fought under karate rules as someone mentioned, trust me if someone started and kicking his legs hard he would have had a big problem because of his vulnerable stance

Why does it always have to this extreme "Muay Thai OR Karate", there are benefits in both arts and I believe that Thompson is at a stage in his career where he trains and can adapt to both.

16 titles yet no one knows him in kickboxing and muay thai community lol he probably fought under karate rules as someone mentioned, trust me if someone started and kicking his legs hard he would have had a big problem because of his vulnerable stance

Almost all amateur titles. Not that it really matters, because Full Contact has been a dead division for a decade or more. Half the IKF and ISKA titles have been vacant for as long as I can remember because no one has defended the title in 5/10+ years.

He just KO'd the #2 ranked UFC WW in the world and is on his way to a title shot.. Lol at a vulnerable stance. He made the change to MMA and is now a #1 contender. I guess all those shitty karate ruled matches didn't help at all.

Why does it always have to this extreme "Muay Thai OR Karate", there are benefits in both arts and I believe that Thompson is at a stage in his career where he trains and can adapt to both.
It's just shows you that a lot of mma fighters don't have great striking knowledge for example Hendricks looked like he went to a boxing fight

Back