80 DWTCS fights have led to over 50 UFC contracts

Kumason

MMA freak!
@Silver
Reaction score
This is absolutely ridiculous.Fans are pissed off enough with watered down cards and they are loading the roster with tons of fighters that don't belong in the UFC.Some of them belong in the UFC but most don't.It's bad enough they have fighters from TUF that couldn't even win a single fight there and have no business in the UFC getting contracts.I counted up the fights on The Contender Series and counted up how many of those led to a contract whether it be a contract directly from the show or a competitor from the show that didn't get a contract getting a late replacement fight in the UFC.

At this pace,six seasons (ending 2 years from now,2 seasons per calendar year) the show would lead to over 150 UFC contracts and 4 years from now would be over 250 contracts.Probably well over 250 considering they keep plucking former competitors out that didn't get contracts as late replacements.I would be fine with 1 contract per event or if they must than 2 but keep that semi rare.So far it's averaged over 3 contracts per 5 fight event.

This way they can be tougher in the negotiation room with veteran fighters as they have an army of fighters that'll jump at the opportunity to just be in the UFC.I could go on and on with the negatives that this has.I am one of the last people to complain about a card,in fact you'll never see me say a card sucks (soon maybe) but this is diluting a roster that they already had issues with that.I usually know every fighter before they even compete in the UFC and soon i'll be one of those annoying members that post "who" all the time.

What are you guys' feeling about this?
oprah-you-get-a-car.gif

TLDR: The Contender Series is giving out contracts at an alarming rate,what's your thoughts on it?

Last edited:
long term this is a good thing

"watered down" cards are a fallacy. You can just choose not to watch a card when it's headlined by barely ranked fighters and watch the good cards.

The only difference is the UFC has far more ability to promote people and make superstars by getting as many prospects as possible

Ok, c'mon, we all know what this show is about.

It's a hype machine for guys Dana already wants in the UFC. It should be called Muscular Black Dude Tuesday Night Hype Series.

long term this is a good thing

"watered down" cards are a fallacy. You can just choose not to watch a card when it's headlined by barely ranked fighters and watch the good cards.

The only difference is the UFC has far more ability to promote people and make superstars by getting as many prospects as possible

<36>

This post is a fallacy

Did you watch most of the shows?

Most of the fighters are hot prospects. These fights could have been on the undercard of a UFC show and you wouldn't notice a difference.

I also don't think 50 in 80 fights is bad number.

I mean, it's a process. I'm sure they have plans. I trust that if they didn't have a plan to utilize all these guys in a way that would help the org they wouldn't do it

I’ll never complain about too much MMA. I remember the days when I had to scrounge around the novelty sections of video stores to find MMA fights. Cage Rage for days.

Most of these guys are champs in.lower orgs and are basically getting a showcase fight to generate interest instead of just being a no name guy on a fightpass prelim. Most of these guys would be coming in anyway

Most of the fighters are hot prospects. These fights could have been on the undercard of a UFC show and you wouldn't notice a difference.
Yeah I agree, the show is very high level compared to what we saw on tuf, it feels way more competitive

Don't mind it. More fights = more entertainment for me.

So we want them to develop talent but not by signing new fighters and bringing fresh blood into stagnant divisions. Instead, we demand title shots for guys who've been in the UFC for a decade and are 35+ because THAT'S a future superstar!

Good logic TS

Except that's not how it works. Here is how it works. You have a weak event like UFC Fight Night 135 that has one good fight and then a few decent ones. The good one is Gaethje - Johnson, and some other decent fighters are sprinkled throughout the card: Ellenburger, Eryk Anders. But it's still a shitty card. Ok, so don't watch it, you say.

Great, so I'm supposed to watch UFC 228, the next PPV, instead? The problem is that TATIANA SUAREZ vs. CARLA ESPARZA is on the fucking main card of 228, and CHARLES BYRD vs. DARREN STEWART is the second-to-last televised prelim. So no, I'm not going to make a night out of it. I'm not going to order it.

Now think about how 228 would look if it had the few good fights from FN 135 on it. It'd be a pretty solid card, and I *might* order it. Now think about if it also had the Mark Hunt and Nikita Krylov fights scheduled for the next FN after it on it? Then it would be a barnburner of a card, and I would definitely order it. Not rocket science.

This is absolutely ridiculous.Fans are pissed off enough with watered down cards and they are loading the roster with tons of fighters that don't belong in the UFC.Some of them belong in the UFC but most don't.It's bad enough they have fighters from TUF that couldn't even win a single fight there and have no business in the UFC getting contracts.I counted up the fights on The Contender Series and counted up how many of those led to a contract whether it be a contract directly from the show or a competitor from the show that didn't get a contract getting a late replacement fight in a UFC fight.

At this pace six seasons (ending 2 years from now,2 seasons per calendar year) the show would lead to over 150 UFC contracts and 4 years from now would be over 250 contracts.Probably well over 250 considering they keep plucking former competitors out that didn't get contracts as late replacements.I would be fine with 1 contract per event or if they must than 2 but keep that semi rare.So far it's averaged over 3 contracts per 5 fight event.

This way they can be tougher in the negotiation room with veteran fighters as they have an army of fighters that'll jump at the opportunity to just be in the UFC.I could go on and on with the negatives that this has.I am one of the last people to complain about a card,in fact you'll never see me say a card sucks (soon maybe) but this is diluting a roster that they already had issues with that.I usually know every fighter before they even compete in the UFC and soon i'll be one of those annoying members that post "who" all the time.

What are you guys' feeling about this?
oprah-you-get-a-car.gif

TLDR: The Contender Series is giving out contracts at an alarming rate,what's your thoughts on it?
Specifically which guys are not deserving of contracts? Name me like 10 about for context

Honestly I feel where you're coming from TS. I'd say its better than nothing at all, but they should be more selective.

I mean, they guys who can't swim will surely sink right?

Stupid thread is stupid. Most guys on DWTCS are on the rise and already on the cusp of being signed. All 5 winners (plus Coughran) last night all belong in the big show.

Judging by your initial post, I think you should watch the Contender Series before making a thread complaining about it. Then, come back to us and we'll talk.

I also don't think 50 in 80 fights is bad number.

Yeah I watched every event.They are generally very exciting I just think over 50 contracts in one year is way too much but that's simply my opinion.

Back