Movies 70s Movie Marathon: Assault on Precent 13

Great and dark flick...

UF4k.gif

Blazing Saddles

blazing-saddles-header.jpg

Synopsis: In order to ruin a western town, a corrupt politician appoints a black Sheriff, who promptly becomes his most formidable adversary.

My Rating: 10/10

It's a comedic masterpiece that can never be duplicated again. Richard Pryor and Mel Brooks wrote the screen play, I read somewhere Pryor was suppose to be the original lead, and as good as he is, I don't think he could have done as well as a job as Cleavon Little did. Gene Wilder was hilarious as usual as The Waco Kid.

It would be literally impossible to try to make racism funny today. I watched it last night and again today at work. It might be my favourite comedy of all time, it's top 3 for sure.

It's a Looney tunes cartoon, come to life, just for adults. It will even make fun of itself as a movie, showing the studio next door which results in a hilarious cameo by Dom DeLuise.

Some of the jokes don't land for me, but most of them do. I have seen this movie at least 5 times or more, I know what jokes are coming and I still have a great laugh everytime. My kind of humor. 10/10

Richard was a great, underrated actor. I've heard different reasons for him not being in it. The one I'd believe the most was that he was unpredictable and into drugs.

Richard was a great, underrated actor. I've heard different reasons for him not being in it. The one I'd believe the most was that he was unpredictable and into drugs.

Mel Brooks wanted him as the lead role but every executive told him no because of his drug use, mental health issues, and his vulgar stand up were the reasons why every studio rejected him for the role. Mel Brooks even quit the movie but returned in 3 days.

Everyone wants to see Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor in Blazing Saddles because it would have been considered their best film together. Cleavon Little was funny, a stage trained thespian and had more dry comedic range than Pryor.

I thought Little brought innocence and charm Pryor couldn't have

Mel Brooks wanted him as the lead role but every executive told him no because of his drug use, mental health issues, and his vulgar stand up were the reasons why every studio rejected him for the role. Mel Brooks even quit the movie but returned in 3 days.

Richard was very unstable, if he didn't have the genius that he did, he probably would not have been able to function in any other position in society. He proved many times after that film, on other films, just how unreliable and troublesome he was. He had enough star power to get away with all of it.

It really is a fantastic movie and shows that De Niro and Scorsese synergy. Also portrays 1970s New York really well. The self imposed isolation of Travis juxtaposed with his determination to do something meaningful leading him to go from aloof nice guy, to deranged killer, to unhinged anti hero to back to aloof nice guy was incredibly well done.

Their cab scene was awesome and really unsettling. Scorsese was fantastic at casting himself in his movies.

Always thought it was funny that for as many times De Niro and Scorsese worked together, De Niro has only played itlaian characters twice; one of which was super early in their careers.

Blazing Saddles

blazing-saddles-header.jpg

Synopsis: In order to ruin a western town, a corrupt politician appoints a black Sheriff, who promptly becomes his most formidable adversary.

It's a comedic masterpiece that can never be duplicated again. Richard Pryor and Mel Brooks wrote the screen play, I read somewhere Pryor was suppose to be the original lead, and as good as he is, I don't think he could have done as well as a job as Cleavon Little did. Gene Wilder was hilarious as usual as The Waco Kid.

It would be literally impossible to try to make racism funny today. I watched it last night and again today at work. It might be my favourite comedy of all time, it's top 3 for sure.

It's a Looney tunes cartoon, come to life, just for adults. It will even make fun of itself as a movie, showing the studio next door which results in a hilarious cameo by Dom DeLuise.

Some of the jokes don't land for me, but most of them do. I have seen this movie at least 5 times or more, I know what jokes are coming and I still have a great laugh everytime. My kind of humor. 10/10

Flawless masterpiece of comedy. 10/10:cool:

Taxi Driver

taxi_driver_de_nirojpg.jpg

Synopsis: A mentally unstable veteran works as a nighttime taxi driver in New York City, where the perceived decadence and sleaze fuels his urge for violent action.

I have seen this movie at least a dozen times and this is the first time I have given it a 10. It was close the last time I watched it but I'm giving it a 10 this time. Again I watched the movie twice in a row, and it holds up extremely well every time.

This is Martins 2nd best film imo (Goodfellas) but you can make an argument it's #1. Martin himself has a very small role in the movie where I thought he was excellent in. He might be the best example of a director doing a excellent job acting in the film he is directing. This is the one thing Tarantino is terrible at.

Harvey Keitel also has a small but very memorable role as Jodie Foster's pimp. I think this is in De Niros top 3 performances with the other 2 being Raging Bull & Godfather II.

I really liked how Travis was a few seconds away from being a "bad guy" by assassinating the senator, to being a "good guy" by killing a pimp and a few gangsters to save Jodie Foster.

Once Travis becomes a "hero" we see him looking exactly the same as he did in the beginning of the film which means to me the ending was shot before De Niro shaves his head into a mohawk.

The ending is debated by some whether it was a dream or if Travis really lived, and I think it's obvious he lived after the shooting. I was always curious as to why Travis looks into the rear view mirror and then looks again all of a sudden sort of angry, and from what I have read it's to show Travis isn't cured, he's still the same guy who will snap again and maybe this time he won't be the "good guy"

This is why the music and visuals are exactly the same, the story loops from the ending back to the beginning which shows Travis will do the same thing over again and it also means the movie could loop right back to the begining of the movie and it could play endlessly.

Very deep film that holds very well on multiple viewings. Also I'm glad they never went thru with the sequel back in the early 00s.

My favorite part of Taxi Driver, is how well it captures the dark side of NYC, at least the dark side in the 70's and 80's

I’ll give this a watch soon, I think I’ve seen this twice. Definitely give it a go

Taxi Driver is such a classic. Very dark, unsettling, tense. Might be DeNiro’s best performance, too which is saying something.

different between Scorsese cameo scene vs. a Tarantino guest spot is the latter stands out like a sore thumb while the former feels totally organic, naturalistic and frightening in that scene.

I think I’d rank it at 3 among my favorite Scorsese films- Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver but they’re all excellent.

Also a lot of great supporting actors in there- Cybill Shepherd, Jodie Foster, Albert Brooks, Keitel, Spinell, etc.

I love Peter Boyle’s role in there too- that scene where he’s trying to give Travis advice but doesn’t quite know what to tell him. Good stuff.

Alien

Original-Alien-1979-film-screening-NEPA-theaters-40th-anniversary-2019-1024x696.jpg

Synopsis: The crew of a commercial spacecraft encounter a deadly lifeform after investigating an unknown transmission.

My Rating: 8/10

Again like every movie I've rated so far in this thread minus the Godfather's I have watched twice back to back. I watch it at night and then again during the day at work or when I get home.

The first viewing I had this around a 9 maybe even 10 but there's a few things I really don't like at all. I think the movie is brilliant and close to a masterpiece until the alien runs away after popping out of the guys chest. Within an hour that 1 foot alien baby turns into a 6-7 feet grown alien. That's insanely fast. But hey maybe aliens can do that, idk. No big deal. But when Dallas goes into the vents, somehow they can read him and the alien yet the alien didn't have a tracker or decide like Dallas did. How could they have known the alien was coming for him? It does set up the best and only scare in the film but it still doesn't make sense as to how they knew that.

I also hated how Ash was a robot. I didn't think it was needed and felt it was unnecessary. There's also a shot of the alien after he kills Lambert and Parker that made the alien look funny and fake.

What I dislike the most is the ending. It was pointless to have the alien onboard just for it to sit there stuck wedged in a tight space. She puts on a suit, gases it out, and then opens the door and shoots it as it was clinging on for life sending into space where it dies.

I felt if you're going to have the alien onboard for one last scare then it should have done something instead of basically nothing.

I read the original ending Ridley wanted to do was the alien is on board and jumps out killing Ripley, then it rips her head off. The alien then radios in someone else's voice to send more people. I thought that would have been better than what they went with. They could have at least made the alien do something lol

I still think it's a great film, if some people rate it higher that's fine but before I just think it's great.

I'd like to give an honorable mention to the Deer Hunter , haven't seen it in probably 30 years but damn that movie had some memorable scenes and fantastic performances (DeNiro, Walken , Streep ,Cazale ) if anyone hasn't seen it do yourself a favor , a true classic imo that's a little forgotten

image.jpg

P54PIXUNRKKJ6V7TFTVNER6GYQ.jpg

Back