5K times for the over 200lb runner

I'm signed up for the Warrior Dash in October. Went to register and it says please keep the 1st wave for participants who run a 5k under 20 minutes. Bastards

If you're not in the first wave you might as well walk it. Even though the first wave costs more and you're supposed to be fast to get on it, douchnozzles who can barely jog get on that wave anyway and it starts the backup for the second wave.

I just go for the mud. Did one in April, was 3 miles and I had to stop and walk. Exhausted from running in muck.

Different animal than a flat track.

Weight helps, but I think bone structure helps more. The best non-sprinters have narrow hips and, IIRC, long legs that are somewhat heavier towards the end (something which produces a pendulum-type effect).

Id really like to do some of those things, especially the spartan ultra beast. My friend did one and it was like 35 miles, over some mountains, in the rain. He said it was absolutely brutal.

These were really getting popular around the time I was moving out of the USA.

Ive done some long runs in Tibet and Xinjiang that were pretty much ultra beast mud runs lol.

I'm 5'9 30 years old and weigh 225. Went for my first run in over 2 years yesterday and managed 5k in 31 minutes. I was shocked as hell. I honestly thought it would be much worse. Now I know that its motivated me to get my 5k down under 25 mins and weight back down to 205.

Id really like to do some of those things, especially the spartan ultra beast. My friend did one and it was like 35 miles, over some mountains, in the rain. He said it was absolutely brutal.

These were really getting popular around the time I was moving out of the USA.

Ive done some long runs in Tibet and Xinjiang that were pretty much ultra beast mud runs lol.

My tat artist does the marathons and the training sounds brutal. The calorie burning and bleeding toes was too off putting to even consider running that far at once.

Maybe if they give a year warning before zombie outbreak I'll train to run that long.

I remember in the last summer Olympics the pace setter for the mile run was relatively huge. I forgot about that. I don't do any LISS days and what seemed to have made a difference lately was using a pyramid interval day in addition to regular set intervals and never running so hard that I couldn't recover with a 5 or 6 mph recovery pace. When I have to slow down to finish the interval, that's my last one for the workout.

In the military I could easily run a sub 19 at 215. I probably couldn't run under the 20 min mark today though. It just takes practice. I would run far past 5k to about 5 miles. That way when i tested my 5k, I would have plenty of gas to pick up speed on the second half.

I totally forgot about running a 5k at the gym today. Hopefully I'll remember and do it on Tuesday.

I singed up at the last minute for a race next weekend. I'm over trained and under fed as of yet because I'm still preparing for strength cycle so I hope I don't dog this race and get down about it.

The plan is to stay the course till my work schedule rotates and I have to change my eating pattern regardless.

Last edited:
I've really been focusing on my 5K lately but I can't seem to find times for people who weigh more than 200lbs to compare my progress to. I'm shooting for under 20min but that might be a goal either out of my reach or not worth the sacrifice.

I'm old too which has really been making recovery a challenge.

I trained for the 5k weighing 165 and did it under 20. 1 year later with absolutely no running and weighing 200 I ran it in 23. Im also 6'2".

I ran a half marathon at 225lbs (5'11) in 2 hours 20 min. Not fast but have ridiculously short legs.

Check Australian Rules Football. Players range from 170lbs tp 240 depending on position. Best aerobic tanks in the world for athletes that size.

While the 3 degrees I run on requires more recovery and my speed is a bit less, it has been very help with the hamstring injuries I keep getting from sprinting all out with no resistance. I run much more than 10mph and my hamstrings flap around like banjo strings.

I'm 6'0, around 210-212. I'll run 5k tomorrow and let you know my time though it will be on a treadmill, not outside.. I think it will be just under 30 minutes but I haven't pushed myself on a run so maybe 25 minutes.

I weighed 211.3 this morning and just did 5k in 29:34. It's about what I expected but still kinda weak.

I'm walking at 201 and there's a local 5k this Saturday
That is totally flat. It will be a good chance to
Test the engine.

In 2 weeks, the lifting club at the university I work at is doing a 5k run/ deadlift competition. I'm really excited for that. Sort of like a pump and run but with deadlift instead of bench.

Back