5K times for the over 200lb runner

JRT6 how old are you? Age plays a significant factor in your times as well as bodyweight. If you really committed to running I have no doubt you could meet and exceed your goal times. Good luck, and have fun.

I'm 43. Age does play a part for sure but then I see the mile run WR for the 60 and up age groups and I'm not so confident in that rationale.

For another data point I've run 1 5k a year on the 4th of July since 1998. Some years I train & some I don't. I'm 42 years old, 6-1, and have weighed anywhere from 212-225 for each of these runs. My times have ranged from 24:00-28:00. I've never been a distance guy - much more of an explosive athlete - thrower & jumper.

When I was in the military I saw lots of big guys (200lbs plus) with a sub 23-22 minute 5k time. There were even big guys with a sub 42-43 10k. We were just forced to run regularly.
As for age, maybe it makes a difference when you're pushing 60, but other than that psssht.

I know too many personal examples to believe age is a restriction, especially with all the training and nutrition info we've got available to us these days. A muay thai instructor I know is old school, pushing 50, eats normal food, takes no supps and can easily outpace, dismantle and rip apart younger, fitter, buff looking students. Now he has mentioned he feels the effects of his age at times, but his training's kept him at an above average level. Maybe he's a little slower than a younger version of himself, but that's it.

An ultramarathon runner I knew of from my military days was 40s, and had a 36 or 37min 10k time. That's just a couple examples. I've personally seen tons more. I'm not really into distance work anymore myself though.

I think its all training and mind.

Very disappointed today. The course was 3.2 miles and I finished in 23:15. I need to.add pace work and road conditioning at least one day a week. I worked way too hard for this just to fail in my training.

Add:. My last mile was at 6:30 which means I went way too slow on the first two

Last edited:
Very disappointed today. The course was 3.2 miles and I finished in 23:15. I need to.add pace work and road conditioning at least one day a week. I worked way too hard for this just to fail in my training.

Hey man that's a no joke time for a guy over 40, and over 200lbs. Keep working at it, you'll find what works for you. No program can replace training hard. If you had a 6:30 in you for your last mile that's good to note. Some runners find endurance of keeping similar times for all miles is their style. Other, like myself, fight to get to the kick at the end. Might apply to you, might not.

Interval work will help I use an unscientific approach 2min hard running, 2min slower (2min over race pace) for 3-5mi. Have you been doing any sprints? 250m sprints with 1:1, or 1:2 rest cycles are a common fix to knock that time down a bit.

Best of luck, if you want that time just keeping putting in the work.

I think my pace.problem is from doing intervals.exclusively. I can't stand steady state

I think I cut my self short by running too fast and having to cut my interval ladders short at a half mile instead of out to a mile or more. I do need to buckle down and pound out 3-4 miles straight at a even pace if for anything so I can start the race faster.

Sorry to hear you're race didn't go as planned. At least it's a local 5k though. Shit happens and it sounds like you have an idea to go at it from a different angle.

Short story:

In 2008 I did ironman Arizona for my 3rd time I had dumped like 8 months of training into it, making sacrifices at work and with my girlfriend (ex now). The day before the race was a cool 66 degrees, the day of the race it was 102 with steady 40mph winds. I hit the wall early in the kid mile bike ride and got horrible blisters in the first 6 miles of the marathon. I basically walked it in and finished in the dark barely under 14 hours....I was hoping to go about 10 hours that day. Very disappointing after all the work.

Shit happens.

I don't know about you guys but I don't feel like I'm running unless I'm striding out and feel like I'm gliding which for is under a 7 min pace. At 8 and 9 minutes I feel like I'm ju struggling to fast jog. I like the way I currently train so I have a decision to make. I'm going to try working the ladders out farther before I resort to roadwork.

I don't know about you guys but I don't feel like I'm running unless I'm striding out and feel like I'm gliding which for is under a 7 min pace. At 8 and 9 minutes I feel like I'm ju struggling to fast jog. I like the way I currently train so I have a decision to make. I'm going to try working the ladders out farther before I resort to roadwork.

Good luck man. Most running expert wisdom concludes you must do some roadwork in your race prep for endurance events. I know few guys who were capable of both but really not many. That's from many years serving with some of the fittest dudes around.

Whatever you decide, don't let the results get you down too much. You did well, and you can probably out lift all those fuckers who passed you! If you can't do that either well, at least you can beat them up in a fight. You do train UFC don't you?

in high school senior year I was consistently running 5k's in XC at around 19 mins to 19.30. best race ever was 18 mins 45 seconds. this was at 6'0'' 200 lbs even.

2 years later, dont really run with consistency anymore (bjj gets all my attention) but still running around 20 mins 30 seconds to 21 mins. (now 6'0'' 220 lbs also)

Ran a half mile in 2:50 for the first time since HS today.

Back