5K times for the over 200lb runner

JRT6

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've really been focusing on my 5K lately but I can't seem to find times for people who weigh more than 200lbs to compare my progress to. I'm shooting for under 20min but that might be a goal either out of my reach or not worth the sacrifice.

I'm old too which has really been making recovery a challenge.

At what height? If 6'7 and 200, long strides -20 would be very attainable. If 5'6 and 200, don't see it happening.

I'm in 30s, 5'8 +/-175lbs. Usually average 22-23 min 5K and that is sprinting the last 150 yards.

Always aim for at least 7min miles on anything over 5k, imo.

Im 6'4 and walk around at pretty much exactly 200lbs (fight in a 185lb weight class). I run in the low 18 minutes. The last one I did about 2 weeks ago was 18:13.

since the guy above me said he's mid 30s, ill add that I'm 34.

I'm 6'4". I'm looking for guys over 200lbs who can motor. I'm about a 7min mile 5K race pace right now.

5'8" and unfortunately 190. Ran a 5k at 7:23 per mile couple weeks ago

23 years old

The closest I came to 20min was when I was 25 and about 225lbs. I stopped running soon thereafter and even though I've been running again for about four years it's been a struggle. Right now I'm finally seeing some significant progress.

I'm 5'6, 200-ish at the moment. I run fairly regularly, and have been doing so since last summer. But my 5k times are more like 30 minutes than 20, if that.

Don't know if there's any point in comparing yourself to me, though. My running is mostly a complement to my weight training, to keep my bodyweight down some. Running-wise I've had a negative trend the last 5 months. I ran longer and faster, with less effort, back in December than I do now.
The way things are presently I'm happy I can even run 5 kilometers at all. For me, 200 pounds is about 30 pounds too heavy for serious running.

I'm 6'3. Ran sub 20 minute 5ks when I weighed approx 180. Now that I am 205lbs it's more like 22-23. Recovery is also much harder. I'm 24.

Also has to do with how you push yourself towards what goals.

I do it for cardio health. Anymore than 2-3 runs a week and I'll drop 10 lbs quick. Takes weeks to get it back. Hard to bulk and try and run 5ks at same time.

yeah, it definatly ha to do with how you are pushing yourself. If I go out for my normal morning jog, Im doing like 4 miles in 30-32 minutes. Come race day though, its time to bear down and hammer it out.

I did a marathon about 7 months ago and managed 6:45/mile and it wasnt easy but managable, paced my friend to his first sub 3. Running is all about consistancy though IMO. You cant run 3 days a week for 20-30 minutes and expect to crush every run.

I'm 6'0, around 210-212. I'll run 5k tomorrow and let you know my time though it will be on a treadmill, not outside.. I think it will be just under 30 minutes but I haven't pushed myself on a run so maybe 25 minutes.

How about bodyfat????

I mean a guy who is ~10% and 200lbs is going to run faster than a guy who is ~25% and 200lbs....

Go to an itonman triathlon and see the 210lb 6'5 guys finishing <10hours....pretty awesome.

I'm 6'1 weigh ~205 and typically run a 5K in between 19-20 minutes. I'm 30.

Different times of year will effect times also. I run minutes faster in the cool weather. Once this summer humidity sets in, be lucky to even finish a 5k much less at the same pace as cool dry air.

And the Nike run app really motivated me. It keeps up with distance, time, it gives updates while you run, plays your music tracks, you can sync to compare with friends. Much easier to get a 2nd burst of wind if you can look at your arm and see the timer getting close.

I hit 19:30 three mile time at sea level at 210 but I was much younger then.

I do mostly treadmill and I run at 3 degrees elevation. Last year a 1 degree didn't do jack for the street transition so I tripled it.

I was into running 5k's a couple years ago. I was 6' about 215 lbs. and was always around 21 mins. My best was a 20:24. I think anything under 23 mins is pretty good for a big guy.

Some impressive times ITT. I'm 6'3", 215lbs, and my best 5k time is only 23-24min. Although, I've only run a handful of them, and in general approach running in a very casual/recreational manner. A sub-20min 5k would be awesome. Currently training for my first 20k in 3 years, though. Hoping for a pr, but at this point, any sub-2hr time would be acceptable.

Back