5'6", 136 lbs. (me) sparred 6'3" 205 lbs... went rough, someone help me

Work on your self-control for a year. If these people were going as buck-wild as you I reckon you'd be on the floor.

The Gubbinz said:
Work on your self-control for a year. If these people were going as buck-wild as you I reckon you'd be on the floor.

Agreed, I should work on self-control. I'm not as "buck-wild" as you may think though. I mean, I am intense, but I don't just lash out & punch away. I did just start thowing anything & everything against this one guy though. I was just trying to make something happen, because I was taking one punch after another from his seemingly endless flurry. It was just one hit after another, hook after hook after hook. It made it hard for me to see even. And I got helpless. This is the first time I have lashed out like that, but then again, it's not like I was doing any damage, because I couldn't really even connect because I couldn't reach him. So, it's not like I am some maniac & go crazy on everyone lol. But yeah, I do need to calm down. I probably shouldn't have gotten so caught up in trying to do some damage back & should have just tried to step back & get out, maybe he might've even been worn down a bit. Who knows. But thanks again for the advice.

Drafty said:
Hey everyone. My second thread & I need help. Today I had my 4th lesson in Muay Thai. I have been taking it ever since Friday of last week. Anyways, my first couple of lessons when we sparred(yes, I sparred even on the first day. Kinda crazy, but that's the way my trainer does things) I absolutely had control over pretty much everyone I came up against(which was about 6-7 diff. ppl), except one guy who had been doing it quite a while who owned me w/ kicks. Anyways, to say the least, I have been self-training myself in boxing for about a year previous. Boy, I didn't even know what I was missing out on, it is so much diff. in a training gym. Anyways, the one thing I somehow managed to take out of the training is some hands of stone. Either that or I just got lucky w/ genetics, I don't know. Anyways, I know how to throw a punch. I weight 136(all muscle but whatever) @ 5'6" & am certainly the smallest in my class by far. Somehow, I can hit the hardest in the class & my kicks are coming along quite well too imo. Anyways, today things were diff. I sparred one of the tallest guys in the class. He was 6'3", 205 lbs, muscular & in shape. Wow, this sucked, I got owned bad & by punches, never had that happen b4. Yeah, I know it is a serious miss-match, but whatever. We started off like I would w/ anyone. I felt him out a lil' bit then started the exchanges... or atleast tried. First thing I delivered a swift kick to his leg, & then went in to try & thow a combo on him. B4 I could get close enough, whap. Followed by a couple more hits. Then I got out & backed awayout of his range. I then started thinking of an advanced strategy. I knew that shorted guys have to get inside normally to deal w/ taller guys, so that was the plan. Didn't work. I went in, got in close, delivered a couple of body shots then I got hit hard. Not sure if it was a hook or what, I couldn't see it. A barrage came on by this guy, hit after hit. all to the head. I just tried anything to hit the guy. But everytime I would try to throw a punch bam, bam, whap, bam. I ended up brawling the guy & just throwing everything at him, trying to connect anything. I uppercutted him & rocked him had, but then my trainer stopped us, saying we were brawling & not to(to sum things up)... no shit. Anyways. That was it. The problem, I have decided, is that when I start feeling helpless & am getting knocked around, I just lash out intensely, throwing anything like a slugger, because I don't know what the hell to do. So, what the hell do I do?! The only good thing that has come from this, is that everyone who watched us spar, now things I have a crazy iron chin, since I didn't even get rocked once from all the bombs. I don't know, but hey I would like to believe it. Anyways, what do I do to correct this problem? I asked my trainer & he said that it would come w/ time & more sparring... no shit. He also said shadowboxing, but I have been doing that forever, & it didn't help in this situation. The guy I sparred is not as fast as me, can't strike as hard as me, have as much endurance as I have, & isn't as good as me, but he still was beating me till that one lucky shot. It's frustrating. Someone help me. Appreciate it. Oh & sorry for the lengthy post.

Dude, why didn't you just type..... I LOVE MYSELF . Im not being an asshole, but it really comes off like that.

Anyway, listen to your trainer. Go in brawling, some smarter more experienced fighter is going to drop you with a good counterpunch. Try picking and landing clean, hard shots instead of going wild.

JaKob said:
Dude, why didn't you just type..... I LOVE MYSELF . Im not being an asshole, but it really comes off like that.

I LOVE MYSELF... there better? I'm done trying to explain myself. I don't know why you people even care so much.

JaKob said:
Anyway, listen to your trainer. Go in brawling, some smarter more experienced fighter is going to drop you with a good counterpunch. Try picking and landing clean, hard shots instead of going wild.

Thanks bro. Some real advice w/o any flaming along w/ it. Appreciate it. This is what this thread should be about... Let's all try a little bit more of this & a little less of everything else that has been going on in this thread.

Drafty said:
Thanks bro. Some real advice w/o any flaming along w/ it. Appreciate it. This is what this thread should be about... Let's all try a little bit more of this & a little less of everything else that has been going on in this thread.
Don't stay up late on Sherdog if you're serious about improving fast.

Drafty said:

and when your trainer tells you to shadowbox more, he most likely means shadowbox hard, not all soft and slow, throw all your punches as hard and as clean as you can. good shadowboxing can do wonders in the ring.

listen to your instructor. Thats why u pay him to teach you not the other way around.

Drafty said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but you could also take a step back and do the very slow sparring to gain composure and get more comfortable. Basically each person takes a turn going for a very controlled combo (no more than 30% power) while the other defends/parries/slips. After a few rounds you can step up the power a bit, but you keep taking turns thrwoing combos/defending. This way you can work up to hittting a little harder, but the session shouldn't get out of control.

hey confidence is a good thing.. you seem humble enough. make yourself the best at your gym in every aspect of boxing if you can.. if you have a good trainer this should give you plenty to strive for. i think believing in yourself and confidence are good as long as you dont think you're the best when you aren't *yet*

i just wanted to say something not everyone else has said

Hey again. Just wanted to thank you last couple of posters for your advice & help.

another good tip is to sit out sparring for a session so you can watch the others and judge the aggression levels of everyone else and to see how hard they go. chances are they aren't out to knock the shit out of each other, they are trying to learn
it seems like you've gone in with a fairly shitty attitude which is fair enough because i remember when i was 16 and i thought i could whoop everyone in the dojo with ease.
if you don't want to be the class dick then i would honestly suggest you change your approach a bit.
i'm not flaming, i'm 6"3 and 18st so they don't usually let me spar with people of your weight. the only reason they'd ever let that happen is to teach you a lesson.
confidence is a good thing yes, arrogance is not
another thing, nobody who is humble would actually say "i am humble", its the most arrogant comment anyone can make, think about it!!!
if you were humble you wouldn't realise you were humble

Trudge said:
another good tip is to sit out sparring for a session so you can watch the others and judge the aggression levels of everyone else and to see how hard they go. chances are they aren't out to knock the shit out of each other, they are trying to learn
it seems like you've gone in with a fairly shitty attitude which is fair enough because i remember when i was 16 and i thought i could whoop everyone in the dojo with ease.
if you don't want to be the class dick then i would honestly suggest you change your approach a bit.
i'm not flaming, i'm 6"3 and 18st so they don't usually let me spar with people of your weight. the only reason they'd ever let that happen is to teach you a lesson.
confidence is a good thing yes, arrogance is not
another thing, nobody who is humble would actually say "i am humble", its the most arrogant comment anyone can make, think about it!!!
if you were humble you wouldn't realise you were humble

Thanks for the advice bro. I don't go THAT hard in sparring though, ya know, but I am pretty intese at times. Anyways, I made another thread after this one to follow up on this one to thank everyone for their advice & let everyone know how I did against this same guy since I got another chance to spar w/ him. But dude I'm not 16, & I haven't said "I am humble" like you mentioned. Shitty attitude? Nah, people just take things the wrong way from me on here. I can be a brutal asshole though when people flame away at me though(which I don't believe you have). Oh & I certainly don't think I can whoop everyone in my dojo w/ ease. No way, especially the experienced fellows. But ayways, thanks.

sounds like you had your hand on your dick while writing this

I've got to agree with trudge.
From your description of previous sparring sessions it sounds like you've gone too heavy & your trainers decided you need to be taught a bit of respect. So he put you with someone to teach you a hard lesson. You've got the whole sparring idea wrong, you're goal shouldn't be to win, it should be to learn. You shouldn't be trying to bang hard with people you spar with, it's give & take in the gym, try help each other advance not beat each-other to a pulp.

I've been on both sides, when i first started i was an arrogant SOB, i was given a few weeks to settle out. when i didn't i was put in with one of the pros & beaten shitless. I thought the guy hated me, until he phoned me the next day & explained why i'd been treated so harsh.
So next time i went back to the gym, i was a lot more laid back.
Now i'm one of the guys that gets asked to teach arrogant inductees to respect their fellow students. Some walk away complaining & never come back, those with the strength of charactor return, but leave their egos at the door.
I don't want to lecture you, but maybe you need to take some time & think on which is more important. Looking good in the gym, or being a better fighter?

Just as a pointer when you're fighting a bigger opponent you've got to be zipping in & out of his reach. close the distance fast, throw a few shots & get out of his reach before he can blink. You got to get quick at changing distance.

pistachio22 said:
I've got to agree with trudge.
From your description of previous sparring sessions it sounds like you've gone too heavy & your trainers decided you need to be taught a bit of respect. So he put you with someone to teach you a hard lesson. You've got the whole sparring idea wrong, you're goal shouldn't be to win, it should be to learn. You shouldn't be trying to bang hard with people you spar with, it's give & take in the gym, try help each other advance not beat each-other to a pulp.

I've been on both sides, when i first started i was an arrogant SOB, i was given a few weeks to settle out. when i didn't i was put in with one of the pros & beaten shitless. I thought the guy hated me, until he phoned me the next day & explained why i'd been treated so harsh.
So next time i went back to the gym, i was a lot more laid back.
Now i'm one of the guys that gets asked to teach arrogant inductees to respect their fellow students. Some walk away complaining & never come back, those with the strength of charactor return, but leave their egos at the door.
I don't want to lecture you, but maybe you need to take some time & think on which is more important. Looking good in the gym, or being a better fighter?

Just as a pointer when you're fighting a bigger opponent you've got to be zipping in & out of his reach. close the distance fast, throw a few shots & get out of his reach before he can blink. You got to get quick at changing distance.

Thanks for the good advice. Yeah, your right, it shouldn't be about winning. & it isn't about that anymore for me. I've slowed it down quite a bit since & have been focusing more on technique. This guy gave me a real reality check. And no, we def. shouldn't be banging hard. I read somewhere that like 88% of pro. boxers end up w/ some sort of permanent brain damage from hard sparring sessions. Now, I know this ain't boxing, not am I a profession, but I am sure this still applies. As for closing the distance & zipping in & out fast... wow, I was going about that way wrong. I was actually rushing in, but not withdrawing myself thereafter, no wonder I took a pounding. Anyways, thanks again for the advice dude(I see you also saw my other thread).

I have a hard time believing that somewho who is experienced at muay thai, 6'3'' @ 205 cant strike as hard as you. He took it easy on you, consider yourself lucky. Keep practicing and focus on technique. Your there to learn, not beat people up. There is no shame in losing while sparring. You learn more from losing than winning. Just like falling off your bicycle when you were a lil kid. Oh, and do me a favor...take it deep.

Back