5'6", 136 lbs. (me) sparred 6'3" 205 lbs... went rough, someone help me

Drafty

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone. My second thread & I need help. Today I had my 4th lesson in Muay Thai. I have been taking it ever since Friday of last week. Anyways, my first couple of lessons when we sparred(yes, I sparred even on the first day. Kinda crazy, but that's the way my trainer does things) I absolutely had control over pretty much everyone I came up against(which was about 6-7 diff. ppl), except one guy who had been doing it quite a while who owned me w/ kicks. Anyways, to say the least, I have been self-training myself in boxing for about a year previous. Boy, I didn't even know what I was missing out on, it is so much diff. in a training gym. Anyways, the one thing I somehow managed to take out of the training is some hands of stone. Either that or I just got lucky w/ genetics, I don't know. Anyways, I know how to throw a punch. I weight 136(all muscle but whatever) @ 5'6" & am certainly the smallest in my class by far. Somehow, I can hit the hardest in the class & my kicks are coming along quite well too imo. Anyways, today things were diff. I sparred one of the tallest guys in the class. He was 6'3", 205 lbs, muscular & in shape. Wow, this sucked, I got owned bad & by punches, never had that happen b4. Yeah, I know it is a serious miss-match, but whatever. We started off like I would w/ anyone. I felt him out a lil' bit then started the exchanges... or atleast tried. First thing I delivered a swift kick to his leg, & then went in to try & thow a combo on him. B4 I could get close enough, whap. Followed by a couple more hits. Then I got out & backed awayout of his range. I then started thinking of an advanced strategy. I knew that shorted guys have to get inside normally to deal w/ taller guys, so that was the plan. Didn't work. I went in, got in close, delivered a couple of body shots then I got hit hard. Not sure if it was a hook or what, I couldn't see it. A barrage came on by this guy, hit after hit. all to the head. I just tried anything to hit the guy. But everytime I would try to throw a punch bam, bam, whap, bam. I ended up brawling the guy & just throwing everything at him, trying to connect anything. I uppercutted him & rocked him had, but then my trainer stopped us, saying we were brawling & not to(to sum things up)... no shit. Anyways. That was it. The problem, I have decided, is that when I start feeling helpless & am getting knocked around, I just lash out intensely, throwing anything like a slugger, because I don't know what the hell to do. So, what the hell do I do?! The only good thing that has come from this, is that everyone who watched us spar, now things I have a crazy iron chin, since I didn't even get rocked once from all the bombs. I don't know, but hey I would like to believe it. Anyways, what do I do to correct this problem? I asked my trainer & he said that it would come w/ time & more sparring... no shit. He also said shadowboxing, but I have been doing that forever, & it didn't help in this situation. The guy I sparred is not as fast as me, can't strike as hard as me, have as much endurance as I have, & isn't as good as me, but he still was beating me till that one lucky shot. It's frustrating. Someone help me. Appreciate it. Oh & sorry for the lengthy post.

You are conceited man, chill out. Listen to your instructor, he was right. You will learn with time, keep practicing.

I am conceited? How's that dude? I got my ass handed to me. So what? I hit hard, big deal. I have pretty okay endurance(whooptie-do). I am better than this guy, by far not anywhere near these guys who have been doing it for along time. If it's b/c I say no shit after anything that's very obvious, well that one speaks for itself. I you took that as me being conceited, you are wrong & it wasn't meant to come off that way. If I was conceited I wouldn't be hear asking you guys for help. But seriously, thanks for the tips though. And even if my trainer is right, that's not going to make my sparring w/ this guy any easier when Monday comes around. I don't want to have to pray for a lucky shot the next time.

I am conceited? How's that dude? I got my ass handed to me. So what? I hit hard, big deal. I have pretty okay endurance(whooptie-do). I am better than this guy, by far not anywhere near these guys who have been doing it for along time. If it's b/c I say no shit after anything that's very obvious, well that one speaks for itself. I you took that as me being conceited, you are wrong & it wasn't meant to come off that way. If I was conceited I wouldn't be hear asking you guys for help. But seriously, thanks for the tips though. And even if my trainer is right, that's not going to make my sparring w/ this guy any easier when Monday comes around. I don't want to have to pray for a lucky shot the next time.

Drafty said:

Agreed that it did come off conceited. Sounds like your opponents "lucky" hits weren't lucky at all; he had superior experience. It's also probably silly to say that your punches have more power than the guy that outweights you by 70 lbs of muscle, but perhaps not. In any case, you just need to practice some patience. If you are really as talented as you have self-proclaimed, you will find success pretty quickly... but no one is a master of anything instantly.

in time you'll learn how to maintain your form under pressure, your reflexes will be honed a little more and getting punched in the face won't be so new to you.

"its when you get hit that you need to be most calm" - Cus D'

Translucent, thanks bro. Atleast someone round here doesn't immediately flame off like the rest of these guys.

Drafty said:
I absolutely had control over pretty much everyone I came up against(which was about 6-7 diff. ppl)

Anyways, to say the least, I have been self-training myself in boxing for about a year previous. Anyways, the one thing I somehow managed to take out of the training is some hands of stone.

Anyways, I know how to throw a punch. I weight 136(all muscle but whatever)

Somehow, I can hit the hardest in the class & my kicks are coming along quite well too imo.

now thinks I have a crazy iron chin, since I didn't even get rocked once from all the bombs.

That's the stuff that people read as conceited. And it certainly reads that way.

Btw, do you actually train? I dunno, it seems rather fictional to use the phrase, "I delivered a swift kick to his leg"

mmagic said:
Agreed that it did come off conceited. Sounds like your opponents "lucky" hits weren't lucky at all; he had superior experience. It's also probably silly to say that your punches have more power than the guy that outweights you by 70 lbs of muscle, but perhaps not. In any case, you just need to practice some patience. If you are really as talented as you have self-proclaimed, you will find success pretty quickly... but no one is a master of anything instantly.

We should have a sit-down session & I can teach you how to read. I never said his punches were lucky. His punches were perfect as I couldn't even see them. I said mine were lucky... No correction, my ONLY real hit was lucky. And btw Mr. Psychic, I never mentioned his experience as he has partook in only one more training session than me. How's that for superior experience? I DO NOT know how come I hit as hard as I do. I just do. It doesn't help when you can't make contact w/ your opponent either. It's hard to tell it like it is when ppl bash you for giving them all the details so they will know the whole story, but I will anyways. If it makes you feel better I can't hit worth shit, there happy? Does this make you feel better about yourself? Perphaps I do need patience, but I am ambitious, plus, like I said, I do not want to play as the pinata Monday w/ this guy. I do not think I am anything spectacular. I do think I am taking well to the sport tho. And I do think I can hit hard, I don't understand why this upsets everyone so much. Sorry if I came off too hard on you, I am taking my frustration out on you since I came here for help & am getting replies like this. I do thank you for the bit of advice at the end though. Oh & sorry for the double-post earlier. My comps. acting weird...

Paragraphs please, and next time don't make the whole thing you type be about eating wood

But you did good!

meng_mao said:
That's the stuff that people read as conceited. And it certainly reads that way.

Btw, do you actually train? I dunno, it seems rather fictional to use the phrase, "I delivered a swift kick to his leg"

I absolutely had control over pretty much everyone I came up against(which was about 6-7 diff. ppl)

TRUTH, don't like it. I don't care, what else do you want me to say?

Anyways, to say the least, I have been self-training myself in boxing for about a year previous. Anyways, the one thing I somehow managed to take out of the training is some hands of stone.

You left out the sentence following that. Do you have a problem that I can hit hard? Get over it, plenty of people can

Anyways, I know how to throw a punch. I weight 136(all muscle but whatever)

Did you miss the whatever in there. That's means that it isn't anything special. I am all muscle but you can still slightly see some of my ribs w/ my shirt off. I wish I weighed 165, but I don't. I can barely gain weight. That's life.

Somehow, I can hit the hardest in the class & my kicks are coming along quite well too imo.

So what? I get owned in my boxing class. I am stating facts to help you people undestand my situation. & so what if my kicks are developing? Does this make you mad or something?

now thinks I have a crazy iron chin, since I didn't even get rocked once from all the bombs.

Okay, this pisses me off a little bit. You took that way out of context. I said that I would like to believe that. If you don't know what that means, then seriously dude... back to elementary school.

Thanks, I am begining to enjoy these little debates within my thread.

And dude, wtf? A swift kick to the leg? That bothers you? I said that bc my shin guard came off when I threw the kick & went sliding a good ways away. I just didn't feel like typing that part since it didn't pertain to the story. Would you like it if I said his punches were swift instead? His punches were swift. There I said it. Making for a good read makes something fictional... *sigh*. Obviously my story is fictional because I wrote a thread about how I recieved an ass beating. Wow...

I've been boxing for quite some time and sparred yesterday and ended up getting my ass handed to me. I was eating some heavy shots, losing steam, and rarely catching this middleweight fellow by the last round.... and yet, I feel like I've learned much more from this "defeat" (though sparring shouldn't be seen as a win/lose deal) then when I out-boxed the less experienced guys.

Why am I saying this?

Because you should be looking forward to sparring with this guy. I love when I think I'm doing really well, then get an eye-opening whoopin' to set me straight. You'll learn to tighten up your defence, work well under pressure, and maybe bring yourself down to earth, you heavy-handed, iron-chined, muscle-bound stud

Also, listen to your trainers. They've likely had dozens of kids in your situation and coached them through it, so take their advice. Shadowboxing is VERY useful, visualize your opponent throwing punches and work your defence, you need to shadowbox with a plan, don't just bounce around and toss the odd 1,2.

Drafty said:
Okay, this pisses me off a little bit. You took that way out of context. I said that I would like to believe that. If you don't know what that means, then seriously dude... back to elementary school.
What's funny is that you get this worked up over a post by some guy on the internet who knows nothing about you.

Brandon MacRea said:
I've been boxing for quite some time and sparred yesterday and ended up getting my ass handed to me. I was eating some heavy shots, losing steam, and rarely catching this middleweight fellow by the last round.... and yet, I feel like I've learned much more from this "defeat" (though sparring shouldn't be seen as a win/lose deal) then when I out-boxed the less experienced guys.

Why am I saying this?

Because you should be looking forward to sparring with this guy. I love when I think I'm doing really well, then get an eye-opening whoopin' to set me straight. You'll learn to tighten up your defence, work well under pressure, and maybe bring yourself down to earth, you heavy-handed, iron-chined, muscle-bound stud

Also, listen to your trainers. They've likely had dozens of kids in your situation and coached them through it, so take their advice. Shadowboxing is VERY useful, visualize your opponent throwing punches and work your defence, you need to shadowbox with a plan, don't just bounce around and toss the odd 1,2.

You know, this is so true. Excellent post. And yeah, you are certainly right about sparring should not be about winning/losing. But I honestly think of it as a battle w/ myself, rather than w/ my partner. I have certainly learned some things from the experience, & I probley should be grateful rather than frustrated. Time for me to rework my shadowboxing regime. Thanks again.

meng_mao said:
What's funny is that you get this worked up over a post by some guy on the internet who knows nothing about you.

Yeah man, but it was the way you manipulated my whole paragraph that actually got me riled up. I'm cranky when I'm tired too. :icon_chee No hard feelings.

Drafty said:
Yeah man, but it was the way he manipulated my whole paragraph that actually got me riled up. I'm cranky when I'm tired too. :icon_chee
That was me. The point the first guy who mentioned conceited was trying to make is that how you wrote it came off as conceited, whether you are or not.

There's a serious issue somewhere in there, if the guy who's been training for a long time and is somewhere 70 pounds heavier than his opponent and doesn't hit a lot harder than the much smaller guy he's sparring, there's something seriously wrong. Chances are the dude was just taking it easy on you and not going all that hard...

I'm around your height and weight.

No shit you lost against someone 6'3 205 pounds and more experienced.

Meng: Opps my bad then

Morgano: Nah, he wasn't takin it easy on me. We talked afterwards. He asked me if I was feeling his punches(you know the afteraffects), I told him nah, but I probably would in the morning. And then he said something about still feeling the pain in his chin/jaw from the uppercut or whatever. I don't know, but I have seen lighter guys outpunch larger guys before. Not often, but some ppl just have it & some don't(I am not saying I do or don't, so don't jump on my case). But no he doesn't have much experience. I have faced larger opponents w/ more experience & some do hit harder & some don't. This guy seemed to hit harder than normal for a not-so-trained fellow, but about average compared to someone who was trained. He had decent technique. I really can't explain it much more than than.

SoulFly: Well yeah, I wasn't expecting to manhandle him or anything like that. I just wasn't expecting to be so helpless.

V MuayT V: I'm 20 man. I really hope your not assuming I'm like 15 or something. I am telling everything like it is, or to the point that I believe it to be. I am not looking for gratitude, just help. Besides I don't post on here enough to care if someone likes me or not, but I don't want to misrepresent myself in anyway.

Back