5'6", 136 lbs. (me) sparred 6'3" 205 lbs... went rough, someone help me

You could have left out the parts about the iron chin and the stone fists. You almost gave away your secret identity.

Don't worry, we won't tell anyone.

BTW, if you're having so much trouble with big guys you might want to consider a career in the midget wrestling league.

meng_mao said:
That was me. The point the first guy who mentioned conceited was trying to make is that how you wrote it came off as conceited, whether you are or not.

I'm with this guy. ^^^

BTW, this thread reminds me a bit of Gungfudisciple's 'Instinctive Grappling' with the new guy talking about his hand of stone, iron chin, beating most of the experienced guys and wondering how he cold possibly have lost to someone with 70 pounds on him.

Being conceited has very little to do with whether YOU think you are conceited. But when you come off that way to everyone, you should really re-evaluate.

Basicly you got owned by someone twice your size. The fact that this surprises you also points towards conceit BTW. Oh, and you being 20, short, and small all falls into place. Basicly a kid with a Napolean complex looking to tell the world how tough he is.

OMG, you're 130 pounds and out punch everyone on your first day 11111! Keep training you'll so be a phenom! 111111

The Gubbinz said:
You could have left out the parts about the iron chin and the stone fists. You almost gave away your secret identity.

Don't worry, we won't tell anyone.

BTW, if you're having so much trouble with big guys you might want to consider a career in the midget wrestling league.

This guy may actually be onto something. Please keep it under the shhh though, I wouldn't want anyone knowing my secret identity. But I'm going to have to pass on the whole midget wrestling league. They would probably win, I can't wrestle for shit.

KOU In3 said:
I'm with this guy. ^^^

BTW, this thread reminds me a bit of Gungfudisciple's 'Instinctive Grappling' with the new guy talking about his hand of stone, iron chin, beating most of the experienced guys and wondering how he cold possibly have lost to someone with 70 pounds on him.

Being conceited has very little to do with whether YOU think you are conceited. But when you come off that way to everyone, you should really re-evaluate.

Basicly you got owned by someone twice your size. The fact that this surprises you also points towards conceit BTW.

Worthless point, I wasn't suprised by that. Just that I couldn't even do anything, but by know I realize that most of you have trouble reading, so why should I restate in anyways?

Oh, and you being 20, short, and small all falls into place. Basicly a kid with a Napolean complex looking to tell the world how tough he is.

Don't care. I am the almighty man. Hear me roar! *Beats chest* Get real. I don't care if you think I am tough or not. I know what I am & what I'm not.

OMG, you're 130 pounds and out punch everyone on your first day 11111! Keep training you'll so be a phenom! 111111

Bingo buddy. You sir, suck @ this. And yes I did outpunch everyone, including Bruce Lee. I also made Chuck Norris my bitch. Btw, for ppl like you w/ conprehension disabilities, being my first day in Muay Thai, doesn't mean I haven't trained in other things. But who cares? I'm not going into details. Keep bringing it guys. I'm really enjoying myself.

Drafty said:
I'm not going into details. Keep bringing it guys. I'm really enjoying myself.
Ok, now you're just trolling.

meng_mao said:
Ok, now you're just trolling.

So are you by making such a statement(you're just as much party to the crime). Oh please, you think they won't flame me anyways? These guys are like leeches. They have turned a plead for help into a flamewar over who the hell I am... & they will keep picking things apart just to keep an arguement going. Whatever, I'm just fine dealing w/ there immature statements while I wait for some real answers. & if you don't have anything to contribute here, than please stay out of this thread, because otherwise you will only be adding fuel to the fire. I obviously didn't come here looking for problems, but unfortunately it seems like others have. I will still be here waiting for any additional help by mature helpful posters. Now how about we try to stay on topic?

Drafty said:
So are you by making such a statement(you're just as much party to the crime). Oh please, you think they won't flame me anyways? These guys are like leeches. They have turned a plead for help into a flamewar over who the hell I am... & they will keep picking things apart just to keep an arguement going. Whatever, I'm just fine dealing w/ there immature statements while I wait for some real answers. & if you don't have anything to contribute here, than please stay out of this thread, because otherwise you will only be adding fuel to the fire. I obviously didn't come here looking for problems, but unfortunately it seems like others have. I will still be here waiting for any additional help by mature helpful posters. Now how about we try to stay on topic?
A natural defense to falling prey to deceit is to be cynical and skeptical, which is a lot of what you're running into. A lot of the people here (including me) have trouble believing that
1) someone with some striking training could not see that there is no advice to give as far as sparring a guy who's much taller and larger, with the same or more experience. That guy will outclass you, there's nothing we can advise you on.
2) someone who's writing the way you are could be telling the truth, or at least looking at the situation objectively.

meng_mao said:
A natural defense to falling prey to deceit is to be cynical and skeptical, which is a lot of what you're running into. A lot of the people here (including me) have trouble believing that
1) someone with some striking training could not see that there is no advice to give as far as sparring a guy who's much taller and larger, with the same or more experience. That guy will outclass you, there's nothing we can advise you on.
2) someone who's writing the way you are could be telling the truth, or at least looking at the situation objectively.

Understood. Well, of course it is only natural to be skeptical, especially in these forums. People lie all the time. The strange thing is that ppl would be so skeptical as to believing someone got owned & needs some help. This is no work. I am not making such a thread to stir the pot, so to speak. I just wanted advice.

Maybe I did go to far using the phrase "hands of stone" against such a fragile group of individuals. Everyone knows(or should) that the phrase implies that someone can hit hard. I do hit hard & I do know it, the only way I know is that I have been told by others, including my trainer. I wasn't trying to brag, I was just trying to give a preface to the situation, so other's wouldn't have so many questions to ask to diagnose the problem. The point behind the preface was pretty much to let other's know, hey I'm not that bad, & I fair decently against more normal-sized, decently skilled individuals. Anyways, my friends don't even know I train mma(yes, I also do other ma's as well), & I don't care if you guys or them either, think I am the bomb or a peice of shit at it. My point was just to let you guys know, so you could more adequately address the problem. I am here to get better, not make you guys think I am already the best. Anyways, I think I just stated the same point like 3 different ways...

Sounds like you expect WAY too much WAY too soon. Honestly-- you've been training since last Friday and you can't understand why you lost in sparring? How about because you've only been training since last Friday; no advice anyone here can give you short of "Stick a blackjack in your shorts and hit him over the head when he's not looking" is going to help. That, and you claim your "kicks are coming along." Dude, you've been at it for A WEEK. This is real life, not a straight-to-video martial arts flick; you're not going to master Muay Thai or any other art in a few minutes over the course of a short, music-filled montage.

easy advice is spar people more your own size
cause no matter how good you become ... @ 135 lbs I'd smack you around your whole life like that guy since I'm 235 :p
they didn't make weightclasses for nothing man
says alot though if you could take his punishment

Drafty said:
Translucent, thanks bro. Atleast someone round here doesn't immediately flame off like the rest of these guys.

Just ignore it. Some people feel the need to overanalyze and read too much into unimportant things. I think you are confident but realistic, besides this isnt about personality its about technique and training and ignoring dumb comments.

KOU In3 said:
I'm with this guy. ^^^

Basicly you got owned by someone twice your size. The fact that this surprises you also points towards conceit BTW. Oh, and you being 20, short, and small all falls into place. Basicly a kid with a Napolean complex looking to tell the world how tough he is.

Yes but this guy stated a very specific problem he wanted help with and no one even mentions it in two pages of bullshit yammering about how someone comes off. Who cares? He wants to know how not to go berserk when hes getting owned, how about we refocus on that topic?

My suggestion is to maybe try a hit and run, dont stick around for his counter basically. Maybe figure out the best angle of attack that puts his opponent in a less favorable position to throw the counter. To do this, watch him spar with others and try to analyze his stance and movement.

Ok, rather than respond to any of the earlier posts...

1. One has to respect you for trying to challenge yourself and having high expectations. Just don't let your hubris affect your ability to train or compete negatively.

2. As far as your question about that specific fighter, it is a classic short vs tall guy matchup. There are a lot of recent threads on that, use the search function. As I understand it, the key is to CLOSE THE GAP QUICKLY and get some body shots in, then immediately get the fuck out of there before he can hit you. The idea is to be unpredictable, and control the distance so that when shots are fired you are in your best range, and outsidie or inside of his. If you are getting hit with bombs that you can't even see, learn how to use a little head movement and create more angles. If he keeps hitting you with a right hook or whatever, circle outside of the range of his hook. Realize that hits like that have a circular motion and are very weak at the beginning of their motion.

I find this story a little hard to believe. First week, tearing people up, not the biggest guy in the world.

Anyway, I don't really see a problem. You just lost your composure under fire. More training will help that out. If you are surviving guys this size, you should be a pretty good fighter.

Drafty, maybe you are goin too fuckin hard in sparring and OWNING everyone because of it and that guy either was warned of it or heard others complaining about your hyper ass. Sparring ain't to see who's the best or to OWN anyone EXCEPT when you come across a little bantam rooster like you seem to be.

Not tryin to embarass you; just givin you food for thought. Course ... the other guy could just be an asshole too ....

LoL, "I'm concieted? how? I'm just good and I own! I have no idea how to structure my paragraphs so I make my post incredibly dull to read"

Anyway, I suggest you learn your lesson from your loss and get better, unless you're a lion among retards, you'll probly get owned alot more in the future by better more proficient trainees.

To fight taller guys basically mean pulling them to your strengths, you should be quicker and do a hit and run tactic. You closing the distance and working in the inside ain't gonna work w/ the size and basically strength difference that will naturally come along, probly the experience factor as well. What good is going inside if you aren't capable of doing anything there? Obviously you're not ready to take on that guy, you need more experience and technique, posting here in sherdog ain't gonna get you the answer you're looking for, which to me seems to be fishing for "OMG dude, he's way bigger than j00!1! ofcourse j00! lozerz j00r boxors! PWNAGE everyone else though! GJ OMGLMAOROFL! 136lbs mountain of muscles and fist of boulderzorz!!!"

Rock fist
Iron Chin
Balls of steel
Glutes of Copper
Aluminum dick
Granite Abs

^ingredients for Future Pride champ @ 136

Well from what i can gather from the thread of flames, is that your having problems with a taller guy. You say you hit hard which is a plus for you, but there will be alot of times that you have to deal with a taller guy. Im similar to you in that im a much shorter, stockier guy. I have short arms and im almost always fighting guys taller than me. Being in the same position as you once, and getting frustrated i worked on movement and developing power extremely close to my opponent. Then you can start to pick up little tricks of your own as you get better. It helped me alot against taller guys. It really works if the opponent is more of a defensive fighter.
Also, dont try to rush things, you will only become really good over time by practice and listening to your coach. He should be pointing out the mistakes your making and trying to help you fix them.

Good luck

I agree with the Internet Ninja. It sounds like you go like a little maniac in sparring. I bet you've got a little hardcore serious-look on your face when you do it.

1. First timers usually go too hard not realizing that their experienced opponent is holding back...from time to time, the skilled opponent might make a little statement to keep aforesaid first-timer in check. This may not be what happened with you.

The reality is that you just need to get used to sparring...worry about defense more than offense at this point....

With Time and experience you'll get better and be able to beat someone bigger than you. Once you get used to being hit [Very common for new fighters] You will be able to defend and counter attack without resorting to "brawling" [I put it in quotes btw because what your instructor considers brawling others might not]

Back