5'6", 136 lbs. (me) sparred 6'3" 205 lbs... went rough, someone help me

The guy who kicked your ass isn't as good as you? He must be, because it sounds to me like he took you to school. Man, you couldn't be THAT good, considering the number of days you've spent training in a gym isn't even into the double digits. Expect to get schooled for a while until you get better. Get used to it, it's what happens.

A bit of an answer to your question though. If he's that much taller than you, work on slipping the jab and getting in close FAST. If you're going to hit this guy you're going to have to be right up close to him. That way, you'll be able to hit him and he'll be able to hit you.

I just reacted harshly because there's nothing worse than a new guy going all out in sparring. It makes people mad, and it makes more experienced students feel like you've got no respect for their skills, so they kick your ass. You'll get better.

Is it possible that the other guys went easy on the threadstarter because he was a beginner? Then when he got cocky, the big guy decided to school him to put him in his place?

anyone else think that its kinda wrong to let a new student spar on his first day. i mean i didn't spar until about month after i started training and that was against one of the senior students so he could critique me.

First of all, you will learn something from this guy. In training the point is learning, not winning. Here' are some things I think you might have learned.

Reach matters.
Big guys can take more hits.
Even if you hit crisper, weight and power probably means he hits harder. The hardest punch is not always the most damaging.
Fighting a lot bigger than you will always suck.. Getting inside only gives a taller and heavier guy a chance to lean on you and take the strength out of your back and legs.
Listen to your teacher.
Keep your hands up and work on footwork. Whether you know it or not, part of your diffuculty was footwork.
Good luck.

It's ridiculous to let a student spar on the first day. I'm all for chucking people in at the deep-end, but not with concrete on their legs. I couldn't even make a proper fist in my first class, never mind get into hitting folk.
It's important that you get this ass-kicking mentality out of your head; it's likely that that this large gentleman you're describing was putting you in your place. I personally get quite aggravated if young guns come in and start trying to 'defeat' everyone. Remember, citizens: sparring is an art-form in itself, throwing bombs is not the way forward to utopia.

If I'm interpretting your methods right, you won't learn much at all from the way you're going about things. Relax, think about what you're doing, take your time, and punch light. Otherwise, you'll end up getting more of the old summary dispensed.

I recommend you keep sparring with this big man specifically for the time being, because he seems to be the only person setting you any 'problems', as such. But keep things light and friendly, no-one learns much from sparring at high intensity (not me anyway); no time to think or evaluate.

Big_One said:
Is it possible that the other guys went easy on the threadstarter because he was a beginner? Then when he got cocky, the big guy decided to school him to put him in his place?

It's likely I tihink. It happens all the time.

Wow, way too many comments to respond to, so I will generalize this:

To everyone w/ advice: Thanks, I really do appreciate it. I will use it the best to my ability

To those who think this guy is better than me: In this particulat sparring session, yes, very much so. But when compared to others our same sizes, that's the only way I know I am better. Perphaps it is ignorant to say I am better than someone who beat me, but that's not what I meant by that.

To those who think I act like a maniac when sparring: This is true to an extent. I am VERY intense & overwhelm others. I try not to be, but I can't think how not to, I just do it. I am really trying to break this bad habit.

To those who think I think I am the bomb yo diggity or whatever they say nowadays: Err... no. The only reason I have been able to handle(not manhandle, mind you) most of these guys I've sparred is probably due to inexperience on there part. Most of them say I am too fast & that they can't keep up w/ me. These guys have probably been doing Muay Thai for around 5 months at most since we serperate the class by experience. They probably just haven't sparred much against a lighter, faster guy, so they don't know how to handle it yet, just as I can't handle tall guys yet.

To that person who was ragging on me for me saying my kicks are coming along quite nicely: Dude, I am no Muay Thai master obviously. I am just now learning how to kick properly, & now my kicks are looking pretty decent. They look like actual kicks. Not some crazy-legged shit like before. I still am having a hard time switching stances into kicks from the other legs, & my flexibility sucks, so I can't kick very high at all. I'm just saying that hey, my shits actually coming along to the point that my kicks can actually to some damage.

To ppl who are still trying to deal w/ my confidence: Realistically, I'm not so confident. I know I can't take out bigger guys right now & it will probably be a long time before I ever will be, if ever. All I really know is that right now I can stand & exchange punches well. That's about it, I have eaten some knees already, an pretty devestating elbow, & plenty of kicks. I just don't have experience w/ these strikes & they are certainly my weakness. My only confidence is in my hands. And when I combine my speed w/ my ability to punch, I can keep others at bay & can control the momentum.

I now will deal w/ a couple of individual comments that I want to address seperately.

Shaolin Bushido said:
Drafty, maybe you are goin too fuckin hard in sparring and OWNING everyone because of it and that guy either was warned of it or heard others complaining about your hyper ass. Sparring ain't to see who's the best or to OWN anyone EXCEPT when you come across a little bantam rooster like you seem to be.

Not tryin to embarass you; just givin you food for thought. Course ... the other guy could just be an asshole too ....

Are you being serious there or was that sarcasm? Anyways, I do go pretty hard & am always intense(as I noted in my preious post). But seriously, I never said I have owned anyone, that's simply a rediculous thing to say. I just said I have been able to control most of my opponents so far w/ the exception of this one guy(previous to this sparring session w/ the tall guy), who certainly controlled the momentum of the sparring session. I'm not looking to be better than the guy. I'm just looking to better myself, & I did go in thinking I would do atleast kinda okay against this guy. I certainly didn't think I would be able to control the momentum w/ him like I have been able to w/ others b/c of his sheer size. You certainly ain't embarassing me either. & this guy wasn't an asshole. He is a really cool guy, seemed really down to earth & shit. I even ased him after it was over what he seen that I was doing wrong. & even though he is new like me, he helped me see some of my problems.

OMGHI2UWTFBBQ said:
LoL, "I'm concieted? how? I'm just good and I own! I have no idea how to structure my paragraphs so I make my post incredibly dull to read"

That's lame. Really that flame attempt sucked. Anyways, that didn't stop you from reading my post did it.

Anyway, I suggest you learn your lesson from your loss and get better, unless you're a lion among retards, you'll probly get owned alot more in the future by better more proficient trainees.

Agreed. Did you get that lion amonst retards quote from someones sig. that was refering to Arlovski in the UFC HW division... yeah I saw that too, twas funny tho.

To fight taller guys basically mean pulling them to your strengths, you should be quicker and do a hit and run tactic. You closing the distance and working in the inside ain't gonna work w/ the size and basically strength difference that will naturally come along, probly the experience factor as well. What good is going inside if you aren't capable of doing anything there? Obviously you're not ready to take on that guy, you need more experience and technique, posting here in sherdog ain't gonna get you the answer you're looking for, which to me seems to be fishing for "OMG dude, he's way bigger than j00!1! ofcourse j00! lozerz j00r boxors! PWNAGE everyone else though! GJ OMGLMAOROFL! 136lbs mountain of muscles and fist of boulderzorz!!!"

Agreed & thanks for the the tips. But seriously I wasn't looking for comments like that. I'm not looking for excuses to make myself feel better. I'm just not that type of person. I don't like weakness like that. As for the rest of that... I really didn't understand it, but whatever.

Rock fist Yeah, I hit pretty hard
Iron Chin Maybe, I'm not sure yet. I was only joking about that though.
Balls of steel Lol. Anyways, ppl have told me it's a good think I ain't scared, others have said that doing some of the things I've done is plum stupid. I walk the line between the two.
Glutes of Copper Not yet.
Aluminum dick I wish. Then I could beat ppl w/ my dick rather than my fists
Granite Abs My abs need work...

^ingredients for Future Pride champ @ 136

If only the UFC had a division for that. I would "own" up the place... [/Sarcasm] But seriously, one day, if I ever got good enough, I would like to compete in some sort of mma events(amateur of course).

There... I inserted my thoughts...

your full of shit, no muay thai school in america is going to have you sparring full contact the first week and throwing elbows and knees. How did you spar? Was it just boxing? Punches and kicks? Punches Kicks Knees and elbows? You were probably spazzing out, the reason you hit harder than everyone else is because you can't control yourself probably.

You're ignoring everyone's advice that has criticized you but they're all probably right, you're going to hard and focusing on winning instead of technique. The reason I asked your age is because there's 16 year olds that come into my school and have the same attitude as you and they think they're awesome at sparring and someone has to kick their asses once in a while to put them in check.

Here's some advice, take it if you want, i dont care i dont know you. Try to calm down when you're sparring, focus on technique, timing and footwork instead of power and speed. Since you've only been doing Muay Thai for a week, the last thing you need to be focusin on is power and speed. Power and speed come after you get the technique down.

Sorry to come off as an ass hole and be blunt, but that's the best advice I can give you.

There are way too many conflicting things in your comments.
-You end up in this gym that people start sparring on the first day.
-Just one year of self training, you are whooping everyones ass in your dojo excepting Jolly green giant.
-You are a featherweight but you hit harder than an experienced heavyweight.
-After a week of training "your kicks are starting to come around".
-You boast about your freaky hitting power, stamina and speed, yet you insist you are just a humble man in search of learning experience in martial arts.
I ve been around this sport for over 20 years now, during my peak years I competed in full contact and point fighting tournamants. Through-out these years I have never ever seen a featherweight have more hitting power than a heavyweight, even when small fighter was more skilled and believe me it takes more than one year of "self training" to aquire skills or one week of kicking before things start to improve. Incidentally, isn't that why we have different weight classes? now you may move up or down one weight class but not 5 or 6!
I'm not doubting that you maybe genetically gifted or suggesting that you're not telling the truth, so please don't get me wrong.
I just have one suggestion to you: if after the first week of your training you are not truly humbled by the more experienced people, then by all means change your school ASAP. Find a real instructor that teaches you the basics first and gives you the right tools to enjoy this wonderfull sport. One last word of advice; We sparr to learn not to win or lose!!! Good luck.

V-Muay: Full of shit? Err, no. I thought it was over the top too, but whatever, you can believe me or not. If not, I want lose sleep. We could do everything EXCEPT knee or elbow to the head. The first day I came home w/ a bruised rib from an violent elbow, & my jaw was bruised & made it slightly difficult to eat as well. Sparred 3 times the first day. I have no reason to lie. Agreed, I should calm down some while sparring, but that was pretty much the first time it's ever really gotten away from me, even though I am always intense. And yes, I should not be focusing so much on speed & power when sparring. But then again, I really don't, I'm just trying to find a way to get through & make contact. Finding an opening is #1 for me, followed by technique, then finally speed & power. Perphaps my #1 & #2 should be inverted or perphaps be made the same, but they are not right now. As for saying I am ignoring everyones advice that criticized me, that is bullshit. I have personally thanked EVERYONE, whether I liked them or not, & have accepted there advice. Just reread my posts, all were in class, & even through all the flames, I took each helpful post seriously. & I also thank you for your advice, there are some good tips in there even through your flames as well.

i've been doing muay thai for about 3 yrs now and i know it didn't take me 1 week to get my kicks to be pretty decent and why are you sparring with knees and elbows. what school do you go to who's your instructor? i dont' know of any school that would allow new students to spar with elbows and knees. hell i dont' even spar with elbows and i've had a couple of amateur fights. i dont' want to call bullshit but i might have to

Drafty said:
The first day I came home w/ a bruised rib from an violent elbow, & my jaw was bruised & made it slightly difficult to eat as well. Sparred 3 times the first day. I have no reason to lie.
You got to spar a week after a bruised rib? WTF?

miniaq said:
There are way too many conflicting things in your comments.
-You end up in this gym that people start sparring on the first day.

Is the truth, but whatever.

-Just one year of self training, you are whooping everyones ass in your dojo excepting Jolly green giant.

You sir have not read anything I said & taken it as it is. I never said I whooped anyone, learn to read. I said I could control nearly all the sparring sessions I had been in. These guys all have had less than 6 months experience(it's in there if you read through my posts). I also said one other guy seriously whooped on me too. I have also trained in other arts but that's beside the point.

-You are a featherweight but you hit harder than an experienced heavyweight.

God, please, learn to read dude. Experienced? He has been in there only 1 training session more than me. I do hit hard though.

-After a week of training "your kicks are starting to come around".

Reread my other posts, you are taking this out of context. I'm pretty sure any logical, intellegent person can understand this can be interpreted more than one way. Like I stated earlier, my kicks are coming around as in I am actually begining to develope an actual kick that actually has some speed & power in it rather than some crazy-legged shit. I never said I could kick like Crocop, but you can believe that if you want.

-You boast about your freaky hitting power, stamina and speed, yet you insist you are just a humble man in search of learning experience in martial arts.

I said I hit hard & I do. I said I'm pretty fast, but @ 136, who isn't? I said I have better stamina than a guy waying 70 lbs. more than me? Where in there does that classify as freaky stamina? Dude, please read next time. My conditioning is FAR from amazing. I never said I am humble or the likewise. I said I am here for help & I am. I said that my original post came off in a way that wasn't meant to come off. People just took me trying to break down my background for you people, to make this easier, the wrong way.

I ve been around this sport for over 20 years now, during my peak years I competed in full contact and point fighting tournamants. Through-out these years I have never ever seen a featherweight have more hitting power than a heavyweight, even when small fighter was more skilled and believe me it takes more than one year of "self training" to aquire skills or one week of kicking before things start to improve. Incidentally, isn't that why we have different weight classes? now you may move up or down one weight class but not 5 or 6!
I'm not doubting that you maybe genetically gifted or suggesting that you're not telling the truth, so please don't get me wrong.

Sweet, you have experience, I wish I had more. Anyways, as for the fw hitting harder than a hw, it happens, but not often. This is true. It's all about technique & I'm sure you know that, so I am just preaching to the choir. I just know how to throw all my weight into my punches. Velocity is more important than force when it comes to striking. I know how to throw an exceptional hook/cross w/all my power compared to a larger guy that doesn't use his hips to their fullest extent & loses some power in his joints from improper bone structure positioning. Hey, it happens.

I just have one suggestion to you: if after the first week of your training you are not truly humbled by the more experienced people, then by all means change your school ASAP. Find a real instructor that teaches you the basics first and gives you the right tools to enjoy this wonderfull sport. One last word of advice; We sparr to learn not to win or lose!!! Good luck.

I hope you don't take it that I think I can whoop all these guys in my gym, on the contrary. But yes, my instructor should be teaching some of us more inexperienced guys the basics... my feet could really use a good lecture or two. Also, ageed, we do spar to learn, but like I have stated, I think of it more as an internal conflict, a battle w/ myself, to utilize the tools & techniques that I have & are currently learning. I don't want to knock anyone's head off or hurt anyone, or vica-versa. Thanks for the words & the good advice. And hopefully I will be able to keep my head on straight the next time I spar

Comments inserted above^

chance031977 said:
i've been doing muay thai for about 3 yrs now and i know it didn't take me 1 week to get my kicks to be pretty decent and why are you sparring with knees and elbows. what school do you go to who's your instructor? i dont' know of any school that would allow new students to spar with elbows and knees. hell i dont' even spar with elbows and i've had a couple of amateur fights. i dont' want to call bullshit but i might have to

I'm serious, first day. As for my kicks becoming decent, I don't find that so hard to believe, but then again, I have had some training YEARS ago in shotokan, but I don't know if it carried over or not. As for the school, it's initials are V.K., I really don't want to name the guys name, bc I know some guys from the gym read these forums. I know this doesn't help you out much, but I really don't want these guys under fire bc of some comments I posted on here, even if they are true. The sucky part about the elbow on the first day is that I didn't even remotely think they would be allowing elbows at all(then again I prob. shouldn't have been suprised since they also let me spar on the first day as well), so after we went through an exchange of fist strikes, I missed w/ a cross & bam, out of nowhere the elbow came in & knocked the shit out of me. I just held my cool & tried not to should my pain. I then said, "hey dude, I need one minute." Then like 30 sec.'s later after I had gotten my breath back, we continued. It sucked, but the instructor told everyone ahead of time, "if you can't handle it, get out!" So, ya know, whatever...

meng_mao said:
Drafty said:
As for the school, it's initials are V.K./QUOTE]
Vut Kamnark?
Any pics of the bruising?

Nope, try again. Wait, actually don't, I don't think I would tell you guys even if you did guess it. Nah, no pics. of the bruising, I haven't really ever thought about taking pics. of my wounds, but maybe I should re-think that incase I ever start another thread here about sparring, since half of you don't seem to believe me. <-- Not directing that last line at you.

If you had mentioned in your original post that noone had any or little experience in your groupe, some of the objections from us would have been eliminated or expressed differently. So the problem does not appear to be with me and others not being able to read but you not being able to write.
Reading your comments only show that you are a very defensive and arrogent kid, or another internet warrior with imagination........

miniaq said:
If you had mentioned in your original post that noone had any or little experience in your groupe, some of the objections from us would have been eliminated or expressed differently. So the problem does not appear to be with me and others not being able to read but you not being able to write.
Reading your comments only show that you are a very defensive and arrogent kid, or another internet warrior with imagination........

True, I should have mentioned it in my first post, but then again, it's hard to remember everything & include everything in a signle post such as this. My problems are me not being able to inform others correctly, eh? You read my first post again. Now go look in another 50 threads at random. Now see if any of those 50 have went to such an extent to give you all the details possible to help suite there question like I have. I have certianly went out of my way explaining everything possible. And if you had read just a few posts down from my first, you would have seen it.

After reading my comments you say I am very defensive & arrogant or another i.w. or whatever... you would be defensive too if you were me & had ppl like you coming into a thread that was asking for help & advice & completely bashing/flaming the threadstarter when he has done nothing. TRUTH. Im arrogant? Not quite. Get over yourself, your the one telling me I can't write properly when I have fully went out of my way to explain everything to everyone. Apparently you are also plenty defensive yourself, but then again I wasn't even the one who was doing the attacking.

As for being an internet warrior, that's rediculous, I have done nothing but protest useless/truthless points, I haven't been flaming others like the opposite. You apperently fall much more under the keyboard warrior than myself, as frankly, I don't care. & even, more-so, you are just coming off w/ an offensive position bc I threw your previous post into the dirt bc of all the errors in it. I showed you respect earlier, now that time is over, with such immature, senseless posts such as the quoted above. Now please leave this thread, comments such as above are not helping anyone, they are only further conveying arguement. Oh & next time, don't be so offended by someone telling you to actually read posts before you respond. This makes your points about someone else being "very defensive and arrogent kid, or another internet warrior with imagination" null. Just chill out or actually contribute something.

Back