Rob beats Izzy after this

Lychrel

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Rob would have the benefits of Vettori but with better striking, better response to leg kicks, work to the body, etc. …

Rob would have the benefits of Vettori but with better striking, better response to leg kicks, work to the body, etc. …
Rob is a striker, a bit slower than Izzy. Izzy can easily be beaten on the ground a la Khabib pressure-cooker style. Yan has proven that. It absolutely idiotic idea to give izzy space he needed to unleash those leg kicks.

I love Rob and would like to see him get his title shot next. Till, Cannonier and Kelvin is superior to anything anyone has done at MW as of late.

With that said its not like Izzy has looked bad. Nothing Vetorri did showed any weaknesses in his game. Rob isn't a LHW like Jan.

Rob is a striker, a bit slower than Izzy. Izzy can easily be beaten on the ground a la Khabib pressure-cooker style. Yan has proven that. It absolutely idiotic idea to give izzy space he needed to unleash those leg kicks.
I think Rob will work on sneaking in a takedown. At least that’s the impression I got from his fight against Gastelum.

The difference between an average MMA wrestler and an actually good wrestler is the ability to chain/transition takedown attempts. Izzy is very good at defending the first takedown attempt, but if the double doesn't work, can you transition to a single? Can you transition to a trip? Can you get a body lock? Izzy defends the first shot well, he doesn't defend follow up shots well. What Vettori was doing is kinda like just throwing single punches instead of combinations.

Whittaker is an Australian national team wrestler. So I think he probably does have the ability to execute a wrestling-based gameplan. But he first needs to get out of his head the idea that he's going to stand and strike with Izzy.

Rob HAS to mix it up and yeah he could win. But not purely striking, I do feel like his takedown game is better than what we just saw though

I think the difference in the approach was that Vettori was throwing the jab out mostly and only advancing if landing it. Robert was throwing out the jab and still following up with the big hooks regardless of if it landed it and even the kick after that. This lead to getting countered much easier. I was much surprised by the fight but Vettori was landing more jabs than I would have imagined.

Izzy stops him again. Before this I thought Rob could win with his wrestling, but Izzy's takedown defense his gotten way better.

I think the difference in the approach was that Vettori was throwing the jab out mostly and only advancing if landing it. Robert was throwing out the jab and still following up with the big hooks regardless of if it landed it and even the kick after that. This lead to getting countered much easier. I was much surprised by the fight but Vettori was landing more jabs than I would have imagined.
Yeah I think Rob has improved since that loss (his fight against Gastelum he looked super sharp / more technical)

These guys need to stop thinking they can strike with adesanya who has more kickboxing fights than theyve had fights. These guys need to constantly pressure with takedowns and even if you cant take him down, you keep doing it to make him worry about it so he cant keep throwing 20 million kicks casually. They dont understand any tactics and theyre coaches are dumb thinking they can win via striking.

Rob's problem with Izzy won't change. Izzy has height and reach on him so he can stand back and reach Rob while Rob can't reach him. I don't see Rob's wrestling being a big threat to Izzy either.

Last edited:
I got nothing but love for Bobby. Great family man. Great fighter. Good person. Diverse approach. Tough as nails.

But holy shit is he going to have the best fight of his life. He's going to have to be perfect. He's going to have to cut down on those winging overhands and aggressive jump in jabs while trying to land that kick. I hope he wins. He's one of the best people in MMA.

I just don't think he will. I hope he proves me wrong.

Back