Banned
Reaction score
Tony would be quicker and that would allow him to defend the take downs

on the feet his striking and pressure >>>> khabibs

chin>>>> khabibs chin

on the mat tony would cut him up with elbows and maybe tap him

his cardio would allow him to do this for 5 rounds easy

Opinions?

Idk about that. I never really gave Tony much of a chance against Khabib. Oliveira though would have a legit shot.

''Prime'' Tony got taken down by Kevin Lee, who lost to Al Iaquinta twice. Tony was losing to Kevin Lee until he miraculously pulled out a submission win due to Kevin Lee gassing out.

If Kevin Lee can take you down and beat you on the ground, Khabib would do worse with his one hand only.

Ironic.
No one ever said Tonys path to beat Khabib is by stopping his takedowns.

Tony subbed Lee.

Having seen the last few fights, I now think there's absolutely no chance Tony would have beaten Khabib and I don't think it would even have been competitive if I'm being honest.
Having seen Chuck Liddel's last four fights, there's no way he would have ever beaten Tito Ortiz. Tito would have knocked Chuck out every single time, based on Chuck's last few fights.

Khabib has 10 Cancelled Bouts,
4 of them was with Tony,
a GOATy record for sure!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I think nobody in the lightweight division can beat Khabib. Dude was getting better and better so sadly we'll never see Khabibs final form

Having seen Chuck Liddel's last four fights, there's no way he would have ever beaten Tito Ortiz. Tito would have knocked Chuck out every single time, based on Chuck's last few fights.

That's different, Chuck's style was reliant on his chin. Tony's chin hasn't cracked, but he has fought two fighters in a row with good top control/BJJ and hasn't been able to get out of positions.

I think majority of time of the they were matched up Khabib would've won. That being said I think Tony's best chances is when they were matched up in 2015, 2016 and 2017. That was Prime Ferguson before he fucked up his knee.
During those 3 years Khabib had a lot of trouble in terms of making weight(which could've caused cardio issues) and his striking was nowhere near the level it was when he became champ.
I think 2018-2020 Khabib annihilates most all versions of Tony, you need a special type of fighter to beat that version.
Tony's best chance was catching a green Khabib whilst being in his prime.

Read my analysis

Not much of it is there?

My opinion was always I felt Tony's sub grappling wasnt technical enough to threaten Khabib, not enough there in terms of misdirection or being able to pull off sub/sweeps quickly to stop him being controlled to a decision.

More generally I think he's a fighter who needed to push the pace to beat opponents but Khabib is very good at controling the pace proactively. A lot of modern MMA fighters they just expect an opponent will fight to the same slow pace they do, when Tony hunted them down they didnt really have an answer but Khabib I suspect would, Tony gets too aggressive and he ends up on his back and neutralized.

Both guys I think exploited declining standards of sub grappling in MMA, opponents who depended too much on "just stand up" but those styles meeting I think favours Khabib, the guy who can potentially win via control.

Tony would be quicker and that would allow him to defend the take downs

on the feet his striking and pressure >>>> khabibs

chin>>>> khabibs chin

on the mat tony would cut him up with elbows and maybe tap him

his cardio would allow him to do this for 5 rounds easy

Opinions?

This is a pointless argument since we will never know.

Back