40 + y/o

Before you start any sort of workout routine... change your diet.

Cut out the sugar, swap out fatty meat for lean meat, eat vegetables.... make your diet as lean as possible and high in protein.

Ease into the workouts. Don't try to do too much at first or you'll get discouraged.

IDK, you need motivation but I don't think we should have to give that to you. You seem to understand that you need to do something now and that's good. Roll with that and stick with it because if you don't do anything you'll regret it when you're older and falling apart.

Also, 40 isn't that old. If you change your diet, get good sleep and keep up a good workout routine your T levels should be good and high. It isn't until you hit 60 that they significantly drop.
Started reading but got distracted by the avatar.

Who is it, pretty please?

Consider how much bigger your junk will look when you get rid of that fat upper penis area. If gaining usable length doesn't push you to get off the couch then nothing will.
This sounds like a post of experience haha :D

I've never been fat but I work in healthcare. The amount of tub'o guts guys I've treated who have thimbles buried in layers of flubber and pubes is off the charts. Literally no hangtime.

I've seen some shit....
Enough to make a billy goat puke

Consider how much bigger your junk will look when you get rid of that fat upper penis area. If gaining usable length doesn't push you to get off the couch then nothing will.

Yeah, but actually put on some mass and it looks smaller again. It's really an argument for anorexia.

Jim's right, which is why I plan suicide at 40.
WTF I just hit 40 last month
200.gif

WTF I just hit 40 last month
200.gif

Me too and I am pretty decently fit.
My secret? Everyone in this thread knows it because they do exactly the same : I exercise for at least an hour at least twice per week. Super simple but I stick with it.

Even TS knows it but he is trying to substitute motivation for discipline. My guess is, if he does not know discipline at 40 he won't learn it.

Like other have said, and it seems like a cliche but it's not: just do it.

There's no magic pill. There's no shortcut. It's not going to happen overnight. Just get off your ass and start doing something, anything. Start small, and work your way up. The real key is consistency. Get into the habit/routine of it, and just keep at it.

2 years ago, I was a 45 year old Dad bod. I'd been an athlete most of my life, but work, kids, life in general etc all seemed to suck all of the motivation to stay in shape out of me. I decided it was time to make a change for the better. I'm now in (probably) the best shape of my life. Don't do it for anyone else TS, do it for yourself.

Good luck man.

Lots of good responses to TS, nice to see.
I’m 43 years old and am trying to get ‘back’ in shape.
I have never been below about 18% body fat, but I’ve never been particularly fat. I’ve never had a 6 pack.
I’m 5’9” tall (175cm) and currently must weigh around 84kg/185lbs.
About 10 years ago I decided to try to get in really good shape, I dieted as best I could and bought a pull up bar and started doing a push-up matrix that I stole from somewhere.
At first I couldn’t do a single pull-up, so I started with negatives, just lowering myself under control.
After a few years I built up to 4 consecutive pull ups with 10kg in a bag on my back.
2 years ago I was lucky enough to gain access to the weights room where I work (I’m a school teacher) and I did a powerlifting/Olympic style workout 40mins 3 times per week. I definitely got stronger in my bench and clean and press and felt pretty good.
Sadly after a year they reduced out lunchtimes to 25mins, so not enough time to get changed and workout and change back, let alone eat anything. So that got abandoned.
I started a basic dumbbell routine at home during lockdown, but sadly snapped my Achilles’ tendon on May 5th trying to push my car.
I’ve just picked this routine back up again and mixing it with the rehab on my ankle as well as going back to pull-ups and my push-up matrix that I really enjoyed.
I can only do single pull-ups at the moment, so my goal is to increase those, and slowly increase the weight on my dumbbell routine.
I currently to 3 days per week with the dumbbells and 3 days a week working on pull-ups and advanced body weight exercises (aims: 1 leg squat, one handed pushups, handstand push-ups, etc)
For context I started Judo at age 7 until age 14, later I did tae kwon do for 4 years, aikido (bullshido?) for 4 years until my wrists could take no more abuse (I developed RSI, I think I have some kind of hypermobility in some joints). Also trained some MMA and submission grappling until I blew my knee out.
I have no black belts in anything.
I drink too much beer and enjoy curry far too much to have a low body fat percentage. I must be around 22-24%.
I know I will never be ripped, and honestly I don’t want to be.
Ideally I’m aiming for a softer muscled look like Johny Hendricks in the GSP era, or Kelvin Gastelum. Honestly I’m not that far off, probably a year of hard work if I can avoid injury.
I’m not entirely sure what I came here to say, other than just don’t give up. I’ve had to start over again loads of times, I injured my back training alone with Olympic weights. I’ve torn my rotator cuff on both sides and dislocated both shoulders multiple times going back to judo as an adult (tougher than I thought). I did my knee in, broke a bone in my foot, then my Achilles’ tendon.
I’ve had more than enough reasons to give up, but never did.
I love martial arts, I’m very interested in all angles of strength training, I love all the old school strongmen and reading about them.
If you want inspiration, read about the subject. Learn as much as you can. Make it a passion and you’ll never need inspiration, you’ll feel too guilty if you’re not doing something.
It could be football (soccer, sorry I’m English), MMA, traditional martial arts, boxing, weight lifting, power lifting, running, anything. Just get INTO it, it’ll be so much more rewarding if you look forward to doing it.
Despite all the injuries and setbacks I’m happy with where I am, my dad at my age had a super beer gut, all my friends are about 5-10 years younger than me, and generally I’m in the same or better shape than them, and I’ve still got lots of work to do, so the only way is up.
Don’t listen to people who tell you it’s too late to gain muscle over 40, this is not true.
Find something you love to do, and do it regularly and consistently with good form, and eat as well as you can without being a monk.
Good luck!

im 44, havent really noticed a decline (although i am very frustrated with my clean and jerk right now!)

Just find something you like to do, and stay at it. Switch it up when you get bored or stuck.

Discipline check. 2 exercises into my dynamic effort upper day and dont want to continue. 3 more exercises to go. Weighted push ups, barbell rows and band pullovers.

Not motivated.

Don't want to.

But I have to.

53 years old next month. Best shape of my life. Started back up in December 2015 after years of doing nothing.
I was a heavy powerlifter in the late 90's though.
I dropped 45 pounds and try to stay at a 165 pound morning bodyweight. Im short, 5 6.
This week I benched 315 for a very easy single and did 210 for 21 reps to finish.
I also killed it on OHP. 180 for a double and finished with 135 for 13.
I posted a video in this forum of me doing a double bodyweight bench about 2 years ago and another of 275 for 10 reps.
Before the corona I did a 325 competition style bench with a start command, press command and rack command. My morning weight was 169 though. Im almost back to pre corona.
My best advice? Full reps with heavy weights. ( Although I recently added paused Spotos and love it.)
Remember, when you are young, you should work out. When you are old you have to work out.

I'm 41, I've always done martial arts and skated in my 20s. Fought competitively, Worked as a doorman etc.

I picked up American football in my 30s as I decided I wanted to gain situational awareness in melees, I'd always been to focused on 1 on 1s. I joined a prem team and was 2nd string DE with no lifting, gave up because I was shit and didn't like the team ethos of win at all costs, cheating , bitching etc.

Started a team in my local town with a couple of friends 7yrs ago and started to lift at home to make myself better. Got hooked in both, team has a coaching staff, grounds and is in the league etc, home gym has power rack and most equipment I could need.

I really really enjoyed lifting until this last year, I always said you don't have to be motivated you just need discipline, but I didn't know what that felt like until I achieved success. I'm not better than real athletes but I'm strong enough now that with my technique I can hang with anyone I play or practice against. That's not saying much given I'm an amateur but it's what it is. I was asked to go try out for my country team as a 50yr old.

I now workout because I know I'll feel better afterwards, it's become a medication and time for myself away from the lockdown family. I train to make myself better on the field, to make sure I don't get injured: I've played every single snap for my team in the last 4 years, some of those games I played defensive as well as offensive line. I'm durable, but a lot is because I put in the work to be strong enough to deal with the uncomfortable positions.

Going forwards I don't know, I'm starting to coach now and as soon as someone is better I'll be starting them in front of me and I'll go play D Tackle or end when needed. Already my goals have shifted. I've found my knees can't really take being heavy, they're shit but still being over 270lbs was a strain I don't need. I decided to try and do a cut cycle, to break the forever bulking and have started doing an hour of cardio every other day, calorie deficit, still lifting, it's even harder than before, I salute bodybuilders, they're some mentally tough SOBs. To do that all for vanity? That's some tough work.

I don't know where I'm going to go with it all, but I'm going to keep lifting to make the sports I choose easier and more fun. Football is where it's at, I'm keen to see how long I can dominate guys half my age, to prove myself as still brutal, to win, to prove I'm better than you.

But I see the off ramp and I know I should be working on a career rather than being stuck in this needing to prove my worth shit. I don't have any answers, I just know what I'm doing is better than doing nothing.

Ramble end.

I'm 41, I've always done martial arts and skated in my 20s. Fought competitively, Worked as a doorman etc.

I picked up American football in my 30s as I decided I wanted to gain situational awareness in melees, I'd always been to focused on 1 on 1s. I joined a prem team and was 2nd string DE with no lifting, gave up because I was shit and didn't like the team ethos of win at all costs, cheating , bitching etc.

Started a team in my local town with a couple of friends 7yrs ago and started to lift at home to make myself better. Got hooked in both, team has a coaching staff, grounds and is in the league etc, home gym has power rack and most equipment I could need.

I really really enjoyed lifting until this last year, I always said you don't have to be motivated you just need discipline, but I didn't know what that felt like until I achieved success. I'm not better than real athletes but I'm strong enough now that with my technique I can hang with anyone I play or practice against. That's not saying much given I'm an amateur but it's what it is. I was asked to go try out for my country team as a 50yr old.

I now workout because I know I'll feel better afterwards, it's become a medication and time for myself away from the lockdown family. I train to make myself better on the field, to make sure I don't get injured: I've played every single snap for my team in the last 4 years, some of those games I played defensive as well as offensive line. I'm durable, but a lot is because I put in the work to be strong enough to deal with the uncomfortable positions.

Going forwards I don't know, I'm starting to coach now and as soon as someone is better I'll be starting them in front of me and I'll go play D Tackle or end when needed. Already my goals have shifted. I've found my knees can't really take being heavy, they're shit but still being over 270lbs was a strain I don't need. I decided to try and do a cut cycle, to break the forever bulking and have started doing an hour of cardio every other day, calorie deficit, still lifting, it's even harder than before, I salute bodybuilders, they're some mentally tough SOBs. To do that all for vanity? That's some tough work.

I don't know where I'm going to go with it all, but I'm going to keep lifting to make the sports I choose easier and more fun. Football is where it's at, I'm keen to see how long I can dominate guys half my age, to prove myself as still brutal, to win, to prove I'm better than you.

But I see the off ramp and I know I should be working on a career rather than being stuck in this needing to prove my worth shit. I don't have any answers, I just know what I'm doing is better than doing nothing.

Ramble end.

To quote my grandad

"Moving in to age where you teach others is a completely different thing than age where you were taught"

To quote my grandad

"Moving in to age where you teach others is a completely different thing than age where you were taught"

The responsibility is the tough thing for me, the weight of failing my guys, the team, fans etc. Agreed, feels like it's time to grow up a bit.

Back