40 + y/o

ryan3434

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Heh

Any 40 plus year olds that started getting into (or is in) shape? How'd you do it and mostly how'd you get motivated to do it.

I really need to loose the weight/ get in shape but struggling to get started

I don't want to leave out the young ones so if you have any tips that help get this o/w mofo moving that would be appreciated aswell

Edit sorry about the title. Looks like I'm trying to hook up with fellow old dudes lol

What are your goals? Specific? Short term? Long term?

Where are you at now?

Do you have any limitations on physical activity you can do?

What types of physical activity interest you?

Exercise/training history? Years since then?

Wanting to lose weight and get in shape is fine, but it doesn’t really sound like you’ve done much research/thinking about this on your own. If you’re going to start threads like this, you need to come with more specific questions and issues to address. Understand that achieving any level of success in the pursuit of what you desire here is going to take significant input and effort from you.

Without more information...

-Pick a physical activity you enjoy. Positive affect is one of the best predictors of exercise adherence.
-Start small with goals that are easily attainable, and gradually increase the volume and/or intensity and/or frequency. Similar to the above point, self-efficacy is also a great predictor of exercise adherence.
-If you’re getting ample exercise and still not losing weight, eat less. Or rather, eat fewer calories. All the exercise in the world won’t make a difference on the scale, if you’re eating above maintenance level.

Best of luck on your journey.

What are your goals? Specific? Short term? Long term?

Where are you at now?

Do you have any limitations on physical activity you can do?

What types of physical activity interest you?

Exercise/training history? Years since then?

Wanting to lose weight and get in shape is fine, but it doesn’t really sound like you’ve done much research/thinking about this on your own. If you’re going to start threads like this, you need to come with more specific questions and issues to address. Understand that achieving any level of success in the pursuit of what you desire here is going to take significant input and effort from you.
Hi Jim thanks for the reply

I think I'm just looking for motivation to get started.. this didn't jk lol but youre right I haven't thought through with goals. Was hoping for a magical something to get my butt off the couch

Without more information...

-Pick a physical activity you enjoy. Positive affect is one of the best predictors of exercise adherence.
-Start small with goals that are easily attainable, and gradually increase the volume and/or intensity and/or frequency. Similar to the above point, self-efficacy is also a great predictor of exercise adherence.
-If you’re getting ample exercise and still not losing weight, eat less. Or rather, eat fewer calories. All the exercise in the world won’t make a difference on the scale, if you’re eating above maintenance level.

Best of luck on your journey.
I like the idea of starting with small goals I do shoot for stars and end up crashing. Never thought of that shooting at an easier target

Thanks

I think I'm just looking for motivation to get started.. this didn't jk lol but youre right I haven't thought through with goals. Was hoping for a magical something to get my butt off the couch
Almost 40 year old here. Here's the thing: motivation is overrated. It comes and goes, and if you're planning on relying on motivation as the main driver of progress, you'll fail. You just need to get it done. How? Just use the old cliche "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Specifically: get off the couch, go to your closet, take off your clothes, put on a pair of shorts and a t shirt. Now go put on your sneakers. Yes I know, you're tired and this sucks, but look, you're already in gear. Only took two minutes. Now go outside. And now just start running. Literally every single step you take makes you better off than you were sitting on the couch. Want to go the gym route? Same path: Collect gym gear, get in car, drive to gym, get changed, go to weight room and just do something. Literally anything is better than nothing. You can literally start right now: google how to do a burpee, then get off your ass and try to do 20 and see how long it takes you. Tomorrow, aim for 25.

If you really need motivation though, then try this: You're 40. How many years do you think you still have left before it all goes downhill and you can't reverse it? 5, maybe 10? 15 if you're lucky? Brother, you're already late to the game. You won't max out your natural muscle potential, you're too late for that. Every single day you waste now is bringing you one step closer to being some shitty 50 year old who can't climb the stairs in his own house without getting winded. Wanna keep being fat? Well, in about ten years you'll be looking at heart disease, diabetis or cancer, so that should be a fun ride for you.

Fuck motivation. Just go do something, anything other than sitting on the couch and hold yourself accountable.

Almost 40 year old here. Here's the thing: motivation is overrated. It comes and goes, and if you're planning on relying on motivation as the main driver of progress, you'll fail. You just need to get it done. How? Just use the old cliche "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Specifically: get off the couch, go to your closet, take off your clothes, put on a pair of shorts and a t shirt. Now go put on your sneakers. Yes I know, you're tired and this sucks, but look, you're already in gear. Only took two minutes. Now go outside. And now just start running. Literally every single step you take makes you better off than you were sitting on the couch. Want to go the gym route? Same path: Collect gym gear, get in car, drive to gym, get changed, go to weight room and just do something. Literally anything is better than nothing. You can literally start right now: google how to do a burpee, then get off your ass and try to do 20 and see how long it takes you. Tomorrow, aim for 25.

If you really need motivation though, then try this: You're 40. How many years do you think you still have left before it all goes downhill and you can't reverse it? 5, maybe 10? 15 if you're lucky? Brother, you're already late to the game. You won't max out your natural muscle potential, you're too late for that. Every single day you waste now is bringing you one step closer to being some shitty 50 year old who can't climb the stairs in his own house without getting winded. Wanna keep being fat? Well, in about ten years you'll be looking at heart disease, diabetis or cancer, so that should be a fun ride for you.

Fuck motivation. Just go do something, anything other than sitting on the couch and hold yourself accountable.
Honestly that's incredible... I have no other words but thanks

For losing weight, diet matters more than exercise. Stop eating like shit.

As far as what exercise is best, it depends on what you are willing to stick with.

I think walking combined with barbell training would give you your best bang for your buck as far as both losing weight and gaining strength. Deadlifts, squats, and press.

Before you start any sort of workout routine... change your diet.

Cut out the sugar, swap out fatty meat for lean meat, eat vegetables.... make your diet as lean as possible and high in protein.

Ease into the workouts. Don't try to do too much at first or you'll get discouraged.

IDK, you need motivation but I don't think we should have to give that to you. You seem to understand that you need to do something now and that's good. Roll with that and stick with it because if you don't do anything you'll regret it when you're older and falling apart.

Also, 40 isn't that old. If you change your diet, get good sleep and keep up a good workout routine your T levels should be good and high. It isn't until you hit 60 that they significantly drop.

Lift heavy compound lifts. Eat smart. Do a little conditioning if you think you need it. Really as simple as that.

Ryan try to force yourself to adopt a routine. It doesn't have to be anything extraordinary. Over time it will become a part of your lifestyle and it won't seem difficult.

For example you could force yourself to go for a 30 minute walk every day. If you want to start strength training, pick an exercise or two and do it for a few sets at moderate intensity a few days a week. Over time increase the intensity (walk becomes a light jog which down the road becomes a run).

The biggest weight loss gains will come from your diet. Look to reducing your portions. Eat healthier food choices. Consider intermittent fasting.

No problem.

Motivation to get started comes completely from you. You don't need us for that. And, to be honest, you won't always be motivated. You need to be disciplined and make it a habit that's just part of your new routine, not something you try to squeeze in when you can. I hate to use the word, but literally just do it. Every trainee of every level has days where motivation is low. On those days, you just show up and punch the clock. This is where structured programming comes in handy.

Come back with some specific goals or things you want to work on and we can start working from there.

Last edited:
Ryan try to force yourself to adopt a routine. It doesn't have to be anything extraordinary. Over time it will become a part of your lifestyle and it won't seem difficult.

For example you could force yourself to go for a 30 minute walk every day. If you want to start strength training, pick an exercise or two and do it for a few sets at moderate intensity a few days a week. Over time increase the intensity (walk becomes a light jog which down the road becomes a run).

The biggest weight loss gains will come from your diet. Look to reducing your portions. Eat healthier food choices. Consider intermittent fasting.
Thanks will keep in mind. I did try IF some time ago lost some weight but gained it back on and then some.
It's the discipline, as everyone's pointed to, that I struggle with.

No problem.

Motivation to get started comes completely from you. You don't need us for that. And, to be honest, you won't always be motivated. You need to be disciplined and make it a habit that's just part of your new routine, not something you try to squeeze in when you can. I hate to use the word, but literally just do it. Every trainee of every level has days where motivation is low. On those days, you just show up and punch the clock. This is where structured programming comes in handy.

Come back with some specific goals or things you want to work on and we can start working from there.
I started. Got my butt off the couch last night and went for walk.

Want to thank you and everyone else itt with the encouragement.

May fail here and there but I got this thread now to read to get me back on track

Thanks everyone

I would say that sleeping 8 hours and reducing stress will do wonders for your will power. That is where I failed the most in all these years. You need energy and recovery is the most underrated thing ever.

And FWIW I wake up at 6AM, lift weights, bike to work back&fort (1h20 total) and lift a little more at night so I'm pretty active. I could not do that by any means if I go back to sleeping 5 or 6 hours a day like I used to.

Back