40 + y/o

Is this good or bad? Were you considering it and changed your mind, or have we made you consider it?
Not actually suicidal but definitely thought my athletic prime was in my 20s. You guys are showing that its possible to excel at nearly twice my age.

Almost 40 year old here. Here's the thing: motivation is overrated. It comes and goes, and if you're planning on relying on motivation as the main driver of progress, you'll fail. You just need to get it done. How? Just use the old cliche "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." Specifically: get off the couch, go to your closet, take off your clothes, put on a pair of shorts and a t shirt. Now go put on your sneakers. Yes I know, you're tired and this sucks, but look, you're already in gear. Only took two minutes. Now go outside. And now just start running. Literally every single step you take makes you better off than you were sitting on the couch. Want to go the gym route? Same path: Collect gym gear, get in car, drive to gym, get changed, go to weight room and just do something. Literally anything is better than nothing. You can literally start right now: google how to do a burpee, then get off your ass and try to do 20 and see how long it takes you. Tomorrow, aim for 25.

If you really need motivation though, then try this: You're 40. How many years do you think you still have left before it all goes downhill and you can't reverse it? 5, maybe 10? 15 if you're lucky? Brother, you're already late to the game. You won't max out your natural muscle potential, you're too late for that. Every single day you waste now is bringing you one step closer to being some shitty 50 year old who can't climb the stairs in his own house without getting winded. Wanna keep being fat? Well, in about ten years you'll be looking at heart disease, diabetis or cancer, so that should be a fun ride for you.

Fuck motivation. Just go do something, anything other than sitting on the couch and hold yourself accountable.

Jesus Christ I'm 37, just got back from the gym (5th time in the last 7, but no gym in the preceeding 5 month due to the rona, a bit of running and hiking) and you made me depressed.

Although I concur with your motivation thing. I don't need it. I just need the time to go.
Luckily I'm on a course that means I'm working from home for the next 9 weeks, so wife and 16 month old are with the inlaws, so all I get to do is read and go train.

It's like I'm at university all over again.
Although married so can't hit on any women (edited because I put weapon originally(.

And old

And fat(ish).

Last edited:
I would say start off as light as you can by taking a walk, jog for a good minute or two, walk again, jog for a minute or two, repeat. At the end, feel proud of yourself for doing that. The next day, get on a bicycle and ride for a good 15-20 minutes. Take a rest and eat light.

I'm 38 metabolism slowed late 20's .The best way now is intermittent fasting for weight loss .I train fasted no juice sugar metabolism killer .To get in fight shape would need to train about 8 times per week 5 conditioning 3 strength .

Working from my garage during the pandemic has made it easy for me to stick through a lifting regimen for the first time.

The power rack is just sitting there next to me all day.

After 8 months the gains have been amazing and I feel better in my 40s than I have since my early 30s. The great thing about barbell strength training is that it’s so controlled compared to grappling and striking training, it makes injuries much less of a factor.

Also I’ve never been so jacked. So that’s a plus too. I’m affirmatively having trouble eating enough to keep up with my lifting program. No need for diet, I have to force myself to eat, like I was a teenager.

I used the StrongLifts 5x5 program and app, which worked out great for me, but have recently switched to 5-3-1. In retrospect I stayed on StrongLifts too long, I think 4-6 months is ideal before transitioning to an intermediate program. On the positive side, I can now easily high bar squat more than I can deadlift.

TLDR version, start up a barbell strength training program and get a cell phone application so it’s easy to follow and track. You don’t want to rely on ‘motivation,’ you want to rely on habit and commitment.

Working from my garage during the pandemic has made it easy for me to stick through a lifting regimen for the first time.

The power rack is just sitting there next to me all day.

After 8 months the gains have been amazing and I feel better in my 40s than I have since my early 30s. The great thing about barbell strength training is that it’s so controlled compared to grappling and striking training, it makes injuries much less of a factor.

Also I’ve never been so jacked. So that’s a plus too. I’m affirmatively having trouble eating enough to keep up with my lifting program. No need for diet, I have to force myself to eat, like I was a teenager.

I used the StrongLifts 5x5 program and app, which worked out great for me, but have recently switched to 5-3-1. In retrospect I stayed on StrongLifts too long, I think 4-6 months is ideal before transitioning to an intermediate program. On the positive side, I can now easily high bar squat more than I can deadlift.

TLDR version, start up a barbell strength training program and get a cell phone application so it’s easy to follow and track. You don’t want to rely on ‘motivation,’ you want to rely on habit and commitment.

This is also my experience to a T and couldn't agree more. Setting up a squat rack in my basement 3 years ago was the best investment I've ever made. And doing 5x5 with squats three times/week in my 40s made me stronger, more energetic and more jacked than I had been in my 30s. And like you say, more controlled and less injury prone than grappling.

Couldn't agree more that after 4-6 months on 5x5 is time to move on (if you're already starting from trained). I kept doing 5x5 (and then 3x5) for years but in hindsight should have switched to 5-3-1 or mad cow much earlier for continued gains.

As a 42 year old overweight guy, this thread gives me hope.

Factors working in my favor:
1. able bodied, other than a knee that acts up
2. own a power rack
3. am perfectly happy while doing intermittent fasting, it's not hard for me at all.

Factors working against me:
1. high stress (high pressure job combined with pursuing a masters degree)
2. very little free time due to above reasons, plus wife & kids need my time occasionally too.
3. don't get enough sleep (this is my own fault, I need to be more disciplined about going to bed early)
4. I may have low testosterone

So about that 4th point, a doctor tested me years ago and it was low, but she said before she puts me on TRT she wanted to me to try and fix it naturally by sleeping better, getting rid of stress, etc. Well, I've never been able to do those things, so I assume I must still have low T. Although I don't know if anything can be done because if I go back she'll just tell me the same thing, sleep better, destress, etc.

I also think that this may be why I don't lose weight from intermittent fasting. It keeps me from gaining weight, because if I stop doing it then I see my weight climb, but then when I start again it just stays flat. The only thing that really made me lose weight was going vegan for a year, but that sucked and I really don't want to live like that again. So right now I'm doing IF and also trying to count calories and lift 3x per week. Although I typically fail at that and end up lifting only 2x per week. Which makes me feel like a failure, but one poster earlier in this thread said he only works out 2x per week so maybe it's not that bad.

Nothing wrong with lifting twice per week but if you're attempting to lose weight I'd suggest moving every day. Whether that's going for a walk/jog or playing a sport or playing with your kids or doing some pushups/situps/squats while you watch tv ... anything to expend some energy.

2. own a power rack
3. am perfectly happy while doing intermittent fasting, it's not hard for me at all.

2. very little free time due to above reasons, plus wife & kids need my time occasionally too.
3. don't get enough sleep (this is my own fault, I need to be more disciplined about going to bed early)

So about that 4th point, a doctor tested me years ago and it was low, but she said before she puts me on TRT she wanted to me to try and fix it naturally by sleeping better, getting rid of stress, etc. Well, I've never been able to do those things, so I assume I must still have low T. Although I don't know if anything can be done because if I go back she'll just tell me the same thing, sleep better, destress, etc.

I also think that this may be why I don't lose weight from intermittent fasting. It keeps me from gaining weight, because if I stop doing it then I see my weight climb, but then when I start again it just stays flat. The only thing that really made me lose weight was going vegan for a year, but that sucked and I really don't want to live like that again. So right now I'm doing IF and also trying to count calories and lift 3x per week. Although I typically fail at that and end up lifting only 2x per week. Which makes me feel like a failure, but one poster earlier in this thread said he only works out 2x per week so maybe it's not that bad.
There's much about us that's similar. I'm a touch older at 43 and although I'm not pursuing a masters I'm a CTO so high stress, along with significant continuous learning is a given. I also have wife, kids etc. and have practised intermittent fasting for many years.
One thing I'll say (and I'm terrible at it too) is that even though you recognise sleep is a factor you're most likely underestimating its impact; also, I credit making my own raw milk kefir as one of the most important things I do for my health. I'm not saying you should also do that per se; however, I know my gut health has a huge influence on my overall wellbeing including energy levels, body composition, mental health etc. so it may be another thing to take into consideration.

2. own a power rack

I find lifting to be a nice relaxing break from the grind of my job as a litigator. The lack of energy can be a problem, but realistically I’d rather lift than remain in the ceaseless crucible of high intensity civil litigation.

If you can lift at home, you have a huge advantage in terms of time saved. Plus you can use your own bar, and don’t have to haul squat shoes (a necessity IMO) and belt around with you. Last you can blast whatever music you like.

You say you are lifting, but are you following a program? Unless you are following a set program with set parameters and using accurate record keeping from each session, you are making a grave mistake! It is imperative that you follow a calculated progressive program, which leaves no wiggle room, rather than leaving things up to your discretion, feeling, and daily motivation.

Decreased test levels are the plague of going past 35, but the good news is that nothing raises them naturally as much as consistent heavy squat sets.

I find lifting to be a nice relaxing break from the grind of my job as a litigator. The lack of energy can be a problem, but realistically I’d rather lift than remain in the ceaseless crucible of high intensity civil litigation.

If you can lift at home, you have a huge advantage in terms of time saved. Plus you can use your own bar, and don’t have to haul squat shoes (a necessity IMO) and belt around with you. Last you can blast whatever music you like.

You say you are lifting, but are you following a program? Unless you are following a set program with set parameters and using accurate record keeping from each session, you are making a grave mistake! It is imperative that you follow a calculated progressive program, which leaves no wiggle room, rather than leaving things up to your discretion, feeling, and daily motivation.

Decreased test levels are the plague of going past 35, but the good news is that nothing raises them naturally as much as consistent heavy squat sets.
Yup I do follow a program, got my spreadsheet and everything. Of course the program says lift 3x per week and I don't always get there.

I have periods where I don't lift for a month, and then I need to get my momentum back. And then periods where I can get 2x but struggle to fit that 3rd one in.

I used to do All Pros Beginner Routine and then I got bored with that and tried stronglifts 5x5 for a while. I really wish I hadn't tried stronglifts though, because I think the increase in weight was too rapid and that's how I hurt my knee doing squats. The Dr. said I likely compressed the padding between the bones, I forget what it's called, but bottom line it's not a bad enough injury for him to recommend surgery.

So I took like 6 months off from doing squats and the knee was feeling good so I started with light squats again. Worked my way from doing just the bar all the way to 135 lbs and that's where I felt the knee pain all over again. So I've concluded that whatever little injury it is, I'm probably stuck with it for life, and maybe I can't squat heavy anymore. I took another 6 months off from squatting til the pain went away and am just starting to try it out again. Worked my way up to 100 lbs and I'm tempted to just stop there to avoid making my knee worse. I'd rather squat 100 and walk away than 400 and limp away.

I can still do all the other lifts though so I'm all onboard for that. Now I'm back to all pros beginner routine except I tweaked it so I'm doing reverse pyramids sets instead of the normal ones.

Last edited:
Well that’s a problem for sure. If you start super light and progress super slow, normally you won’t run into knee problems, but you clearly have.

My guess is you injured your meniscus, which is especially common in people who are overweight. It heals poorly in older people, to the point where they often just remove it when it tears too badly. It’s a classic BJJ injury as well. Normally squatting shouldn’t cause it, but you might have had a preexisting injury, and ramped up too quickly in weight.

That is a huge bummer for sure, but if you can deadlift still, that’s your best replacement. I think you are right not to push it again with heavy squats. Probably safe slowly inching back up to 135 though, and you can do high reps at that range instead of heavy weights. Just don’t drop deep fast and bounce. High bar squats are also worse for your knees than low bar squats.

If you haven’t read the book ‘The Barbell Prescription’ yet, I’d recommend it.

Well that’s a problem for sure. If you start super light and progress super slow, normally you won’t run into knee problems, but you clearly have.

My guess is you injured your meniscus, which is especially common in people who are overweight. It heals poorly in older people, to the point where they often just remove it when it tears too badly. It’s a classic BJJ injury as well. Normally squatting shouldn’t cause it, but you might have had a preexisting injury, and ramped up too quickly in weight.

That is a huge bummer for sure, but if you can deadlift still, that’s your best replacement. I think you are right not to push it again with heavy squats. Probably safe slowly inching back up to 135 though, and you can do high reps at that range instead of heavy weights. Just don’t drop deep fast and bounce. High bar squats are also worse for your knees than low bar squats.

If you haven’t read the book ‘The Barbell Prescription’ yet, I’d recommend it.
Thanks. Haven't read that book. I'll check it out. I think my mistake too was trying to push the weight to increase even if my form was getting wobbly. My form is better now, but damage is already done.

Now I never increase the weight unless I can do perfect form with my existing weight. I've been doing romanian deadlifts since they are part of the all pro program but I would assume I can easily replace them with regular dead lifts.

I need to revisit this thread often. It's inspiring to hear so many 40+ dudes getting it done.

Back