2016 and I recently discover Takanori Gomi..

Not true at all, Gomi was one of the better wrestlers at LW and had the best chin in the weight class other than BJ. He wasn't the best grappler, but his takedown defense was elite at one time.

Dude come on I fucking love Gomi and yes he was one of the better wrestlers than but Khabib, RDA, Pettis, Nate, Alvarez n Gil all beat him.

Mma has came fucking light years since those days, well besides hw

At the time of that fight, Gomi was already 25, had been fighting professionally for 5 years, and had a record of 14-1. If that wasn't his prime, it was pretty darn close. By way of comparison, BJ was 24, had been fighting for 2 years, and had a record of 5-1-1.

Your assertion was that prime Gomi stomps out anyone. While he is one of the LW GOATs, the reality is that he had nothing for BJ.

Except for BJ.

Except Penn

When Gomi fought Penn he was NOT the Fireball kid yet who was KOing people in 4 seconds. Nice try though

TS, Check out his fight with Ralph Gracie also, the last gif is pretty much the whole fight

a lot of the guys he beat in Pride FC: Bushido were top-ten ranked at the time

tumblr_mkn1uvmr8N1ry1rm7o1_250.gif
takanori-gomi_mitsuhiro-ishida.gif
Gomi-NakakuraGifByME.gif~c200

WellwornGiddyJunebug.gif
gomi-vs-ralph-gracie-o.gif

takanori_gomi_pride_bushido_poster_flask_necklace.jpg
takanori_gomi_pride_bushido_poster_flask_necklace.jpg

Also watch Pride Bushido 9 from start to finish, and that whole Vegas Pride card with Diaz vs. Gomi.

Two of the best Pride events

Love watching Gomi. When Pride was in its prime, Gomi was in his prime. I only wish BJ and Gomi could have happened in Pride over in Japan, would have been a crazy war

At the time of that fight, Gomi was already 25, had been fighting professionally for 5 years, and had a record of 14-1. If that wasn't his prime, it was pretty darn close. By way of comparison, BJ was 24, had been fighting for 2 years, and had a record of 5-1-1.

Your assertion was that prime Gomi stomps out anyone. While he is one of the LW GOATs, the reality is that he had nothing for BJ.
That was not the prime Gomi. Everyone is different. Edgar is still kicking ass at the age of 34. Lawler is 33. BJ was already past his prime by that same age. Can't judge everyone with the same yardstick.

Last edited:
TS, Check out his fight with Ralph Gracie also, the last gif is pretty much the whole fight

a lot of the guys he beat in Pride FC: Bushido were top-ten ranked at the time

gomi-vs-ralph-gracie-o.gif

Also watch Pride Bushido 9 from start to finish, and that whole Vegas Pride card with Diaz vs. Gomi.

Two of the best Pride events

impressive 6 seconds KO,.. is that a MMA record?

Dude come on I fucking love Gomi and yes he was one of the better wrestlers than but Khabib, RDA, Pettis, Nate, Alvarez n Gil all beat him.

Mma has came fucking light years since those days, well besides hw

But Gomi look small in many fights, is LW his natural weight? Maybe could suit on FW.

GomI Diaz 1 was a no contest cuz it was the first time Diaz tested positive for thc. It's also my favorite fight ever

Gomi came to throw down hard every fight. A really exciting fighter to watch. Glad to hear newer fans are checking out his fights.

impressive 6 seconds KO,.. is that a MMA record?

But Gomi look small in many fights, is LW his natural weight? Maybe could suit on FW.

Ludwig vs Goulet was faster but the timekeeper didn't stop his stop watch for a few seconds so there was debate about it. For a while UFC didn't recognize it as the quickest.
24e5qv4.jpg

Kid Yamamoto scored this 4 second Ko over Kazuyuki Miyata in K-1
2006-05-03_Norifumi__27_27Kid_27_27_Yamamoto_vs_Kazuyuki_Miyata__28K-1_-_Hero_27s_5_29_1.gif

There's some 2 and 3 second ones now, but I still think those two were the quickest KO's in the big leagues

Gomi was notorious for partying and not training as hard as he should've. All the Jaoanese fighters were smaller, they didn't cut weight like the Americans do.
Some people accused Pride of having a 160lb LW division specifically for Gomi, but that was kind of BS.

i dont think ive really seen anyone hate on gomi while he was in his heyday. i liked him back then. i had just got into mma towards the last few years of his reign. the game kind of passed him by and i always wanted him to win, but didnt regard him as an elite fighter after a number of low level losses. i'd consider him very high up their in the lw goat rankings.

Revive cause getting real tired of Conor thread.

Gomi > Conor.

What happen with Gomi? Will UFC Give him another fight? maybe a last fight to retire the legend with honor?

You can make an argument that he is the #2 lightweight of all time behind BJ.

Aoki, RDA, Henderson, Edgar, there is some argument to say they are ahead... but imo, Gomi still has that #2 spot. Dude was an absolute beast back in the day, but unfortunate when his athleticism went, he went as well. He wasn't a technical dude.

If you like exciting fighters, it's tough not to be a fan of The Fireball Kid. Guy had brutal hands in his prime. His hands are still dangerous, father time has just caught up with him and slowed him down.

Gomi is the man, has always been one of my favourites.

He was ferocious in PRIDE, feared no man and knocked dudes the fuck out.

His fight with BJ Penn before PRIDE was good, too. Although he did lose.

Gomi enjoys the drinking too much. Would love to have a drink with him

bunk-the-wire.gif

look up gomi vs chuto on youtube, a must-see if you wanna know more about gomi.

Yeah I thought they sent a hit squad to beat him, and he won all those fights I think. Luis Azervedo he fought twice iirc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back