2016 and I recently discover Takanori Gomi..

I miss prime Gomi. Dude had a great chin and power in both hands

That wasn't prime Gomi
At the time of that fight, Gomi was already 25, had been fighting professionally for 5 years, and had a record of 14-1. If that wasn't his prime, it was pretty darn close. By way of comparison, BJ was 24, had been fighting for 2 years, and had a record of 5-1-1.

Your assertion was that prime Gomi stomps out anyone. While he is one of the LW GOATs, the reality is that he had nothing for BJ.

Gomi is so much fun to watch...such a unique style.

Before we had heavy hitters like McGregor, there was Gomi with his vicious KO power. Guy used to sleep his opponents like an anesthesiologist. During his prime, hardcore fans dreamed of him transitioning to the UFC. Didn't happen until late in his career.

I'll always be sad never seeing him making that move along with Kawajiji in their prime. Don't get me started on Shinya Aoki....

Homeboy definitely brought it in the mid 00's but now he is just one in a long list of Japanese fighters that suddenly suck the second the plane touches down at McCarran Las Vegas.

While this does happen alot, dude was looking lackluster in 2008.

One of the most overrated fighters to ever exist worse than fedor dude literally beat a bunch of bums all he had was a chin and decent power he never had good striking or wrestling or anything. But wait for it i know someone will say "HE KNOCKED OUT A GUY WHO BEAT ANDERSON SILVA!!" i bet there are haters here who will claim gomi in his "prime" could of beaten mcgregor mainly japanese fans i would assume.

One of the most overrated fighters to ever exist worse than fedor dude literally beat a bunch of bums all he had was a chin and decent power he never had good striking or wrestling or anything. But wait for it i know someone will say "HE KNOCKED OUT A GUY WHO BEAT ANDERSON SILVA!!" i bet there are haters here who will claim gomi in his "prime" could of beaten mcgregor mainly japanese fans i would assume.

The disrespect and hate in this post is too much..
0MAb0PR_700wa_0.gif

Oh come on... he was great but compare him to LWs we have today. Gomi would be slaughtered by the technical strikers and elite wrestlers. Gomi just had pure power and he was so fun to watch back when he was running through everyone.
Not true at all, Gomi was one of the better wrestlers at LW and had the best chin in the weight class other than BJ. He wasn't the best grappler, but his takedown defense was elite at one time.

Yes, relative new in MMA. Couple of years watching UFC and old PRIDE fights.

About Gomi, only knew he was the only LW PRIDE champ. I recently was watching his record, and I was curious about the NC against Nick Diaz...watch the fight and OMG,.. that was a war. Gomi almost KO Nick in the first round, them he takedown him with ease and GNP, Nick recover and the boxing start, Gomi take many big shot from Diaz to the head.. what a chin.. Second round Gomi destroy Nick eyes and face, he tell the referee to stop the fight but no, Gomi takedown again and Nick got the sub.

Them watch the Azeredo fight. Awesome stand up fight. I really like Gomi stile.

Okey..

---> What Sherdog think about Gomi? Did He has fans or haters?
---> Where do you put him in a GOAT LW list?

---> Also, share fights or highlights.

ufc144_05_gomi_vs_mitsuoka_012.jpg

Props to you for not trying to act like something you are not.

Gomi is one of the all time favorites.

His fight with Fred really announced it for me. Alot of people were expecting him to lose, then he showed the world what a nice knee looked like.

His fall was hard and fast. If only he took things more seriously. Probably could still be top 10

Nice that you discovered him. I found out about Gomi from watching a Pride DVD years back. Been a fan ever since

Another Pride phenom who was inexplicably average in America.

Much love for The Rascal, The Fireball Kid. Gomi was the man, but I remember having the impression that for some fights he barely trained. Actually reminds me of BJ Penn in that regard. The Diaz - Gomi fight was my first "favorite fight ever"

Gomi's another example of LOTS of wasted talent.

He had pretty good wrestling, great TD defense.
Sub defense is probably one of his weak points, but it usually was accompanied by a shitty gas tank...he usually wasn't subbed or even put in a bad position on the ground when he showed up in shape.
Which is another point...towards the end of his Pride run, and much of his UFC run, he often showed up with shitty cardio.

The talent part...
He had an insane chin. I still don't think it's actually been cracked, even after Lauzon put a beating on him I don't think he was quite out.
Combine that with freakish power. He was a true 1 punch KO artist in the LW division.
Boxing...he went from being...I wouldn't say "technical" but very crisp boxer to a sloppier slugger as the years went on.
Again, watch the early Pride/Bushido fights...his standup was much cleaner early on.

If the dude had actually had a modern fight camp pushing him, he'd definitely be a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 guy today, with a very solid puncher's chance of being champ. I'd say he has some similarities to today's Robbie Lawler, and a few of McGregor's better attributes as well.
The fact that he went on that tear in Pride with what he had to work with says a lot about his natural talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back