2016 and I recently discover Takanori Gomi..

Summoning

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, relative new in MMA. Couple of years watching UFC and old PRIDE fights.

About Gomi, only knew he was the only LW PRIDE champ. I recently was watching his record, and I was curious about the NC against Nick Diaz...watch the fight and OMG,.. that was a war. Gomi almost KO Nick in the first round, them he takedown him with ease and GNP, Nick recover and the boxing start, Gomi take many big shot from Diaz to the head.. what a chin.. Second round Gomi destroy Nick eyes and face, he tell the referee to stop the fight but no, Gomi takedown again and Nick got the sub.

Them watch the Azeredo fight. Awesome stand up fight. I really like Gomi stile.

Okey..

---> What Sherdog think about Gomi? Did He has fans or haters?
---> Where do you put him in a GOAT LW list?

---> Also, share fights or highlights.

ufc144_05_gomi_vs_mitsuoka_012.jpg

Probably one of the most beloved fighters here at one time. Still a lot of people who cheer for him to this day. Track down a copy of Pride Bushdo 9 on DVD great event with one of Gomi's best fights against Tatsuya Kawajiri.

Last edited:
Thanks for heads up, will have to check that fight out. Never followed him much.

The Fireball Kid was no joke. His KO against Griffin still makes me shudder.

He was like a gunslinger shooting from the hips with those hooks. Griffin was lucky he wasn't moving into that punch but rather away or he may have had his entire face caved in.

I was a big fan of Gomi in his prime.

one of the best knockout artists ever at lightweight.

Pulver v Gomi was technical, beautiful, deadly, nonstop movements.

Glad you caught up on some tape, Very underrated by the new fans. BJ and Gomi are easily the two LW GOATs.

He was a monster in his day, one of the strongest punches for the weight class. Definitely go back and watch some fights on youtube and I would recommend fight pass for some of the other fights harder to find.

I respect Gomi, but I'm a bigger
fan of his many of his opponents...
Hellboy Hansen, BJ, Diaz...

Check out his fight with Hansen.
It's a difficult fight to personally
judge, especially with japanese
scoring. I gave it to Hellboy...

Prime Gomi stomps out anyone

Oh come on... he was great but compare him to LWs we have today. Gomi would be slaughtered by the technical strikers and elite wrestlers. Gomi just had pure power and he was so fun to watch back when he was running through everyone.

The Fireball Kid was no joke. His KO against Griffin still makes me shudder.

He was like a gunslinger shooting from the hips with those hooks. Griffin was lucky he wasn't moving into that punch but rather away or he may have had his entire face caved in.
iz22q1.jpg

His fight with Hayato Sakurai was great. Also, check out Sakurai if you are not familiar with him! One time or another i believe he was ranked the p4p best fighter in MMA. Jens Pulver's fights with both of them were good.

Outstanding fighter from the Japan MMA golden era. Big fan here.

I respect Gomi, but I'm a bigger
fan of his many of his opponents...
Hellboy Hansen, BJ, Diaz...

Check out his fight with Hansen.
It's a difficult fight to personally
judge, especially with japanese
scoring. I gave it to Hellboy...

What a fighter Hellboy was! One of the more under appreciated fighters of his time. I always wanted him in the UFC, but they seemingly lowballed him on any offer and he preferred it in Japan. He could have been a decent asset for their move into the Scandinavian market. All went downhill after Takaya ko'd him unfortunately!

What a fighter Hellboy was! One of the more under appreciated fighters of his time. I always wanted him in the UFC, but they seemingly lowballed him on any offer and he preferred it in Japan. He could have been a decent asset for their move into the Scandinavian market. All went downhill after Takaya ko'd him unfortunately!
I don't think he was fond of
the UFC's business practices...
Plus, he had already found his
home in Japan with the Japanese
fans. Hard to give up all those cheers
and come to a place in the US where
they only really cheer for you if you win...

Hansen was never one of those fighters.
He was always skilled enough to win
against anyone he fought... but he never
fought safe. Came to finish. Came to fight.
My favorite non japanese fighter of the
JMMA scene, for sure. that Bancho KO
was rough, but at that point, Hellboy had
had so many wars. Can only take so much....

If you ask any fan to make a Top 10 GOAT per class...he will probably be in everyones Top 5.

bunk-the-wire.gif

look up gomi vs chuto on youtube, a must-see if you wanna know more about gomi.

Back